* Searching linked files
@ 2012-06-20 13:16 Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2012-06-20 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

Does anybody now how to search the content of a linked file ? I have a
master file that is included in org-agenda file list. This file contains
links to other research project related org files. Unfortunately, is seems
that only way to search the content of the link file is to include it in
the agenda file list, ideally I prefer not to do this.

To illustrate the problem, lets say I have a file myfile.org, which is
included in the list of org agenda files.

myfile.org contains the following

* Apples
* Pears
* [[file:~/test.org][Farmers]]

Similarly, test.org contains

* Jack
- Cheapest supplier of Apples
- Deliver
* Joe
-  Pear supplies and other vegetables
* Bill
-  Potential supplier

Lets say I want to do a keyword search for  vegetables, I would hit C-a s.
The problem is that unless I include test.org in the agenda file list, it
doesn't work.

I appreciate any help or suggestion.

Cheers

* Re: Searching linked files
@ 2012-06-20 16:24 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2012-06-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Doyley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

See the variable org-agenda-text-search-extra-files. It seems to be exactly
what you want.

--
Darlan Cavalcante

At Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:16:49 -0400,
Marvin Doyley <marvinpas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Does anybody now how to search the content of a linked file ? I have a
> master file that is included in org-agenda file list. This file contains
> links to other research project related org files. Unfortunately, is seems
> that only way to search the content of the link file is to include it in
> the agenda file list, ideally I prefer not to do this.
>
> To illustrate the problem, lets say I have a file myfile.org, which is
> included in the list of org agenda files.
>
> myfile.org contains the following
>
> * Apples
> * Pears
> * [[file:~/test.org][Farmers]]
>
> Similarly, test.org contains
>
> * Jack
> - Cheapest supplier of Apples
> - Deliver
> * Joe
> -  Pear supplies and other vegetables
> * Bill
> -  Potential supplier
>

> Lets say I want to do a keyword search for  vegetables, I would hit C-a s.
> The problem is that unless I include test.org in the agenda file list, it
> doesn't work.
>

> I appreciate any help or suggestion.
>
> Cheers

* Re: Searching linked files
@ 2012-06-20 17:45   ` Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2012-06-20 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Darlan,

This is almost what I am looking for. I would be nice if I could get it to
drill down into subdirectories.
All my work is located in a directory called research that contains a
several directory related to different projects.
The problem with this variable is that works only for files in a fixed
directory.
cheers

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <
darcamo@gmail.com> wrote:

> See the variable org-agenda-text-search-extra-files. It seems to be exactly
> what you want.
>
> --
> Darlan Cavalcante
>

> At Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:16:49 -0400,
> Marvin Doyley <marvinpas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Does anybody now how to search the content of a linked file ? I have a
> > master file that is included in org-agenda file list. This file contains
> > links to other research project related org files. Unfortunately, is
> seems
> > that only way to search the content of the link file is to include it in
> > the agenda file list, ideally I prefer not to do this.
> >
> > To illustrate the problem, lets say I have a file myfile.org, which is
> > included in the list of org agenda files.
> >
> > myfile.org contains the following
> >
> > * Apples
> > * Pears
> > * [[file:~/test.org][Farmers]]
> >
> > Similarly, test.org contains
> >
> > * Jack
> > - Cheapest supplier of Apples
> > - Deliver
> > * Joe
> > -  Pear supplies and other vegetables
> > * Bill
> > -  Potential supplier
> >

> > Lets say I want to do a keyword search for  vegetables, I would hit C-a
> s.
> > The problem is that unless I include test.org in the agenda file list,
> it
> > doesn't work.
> >

> > I appreciate any help or suggestion.
> >
> > Cheers

* Re: Searching linked files
@ 2012-06-20 18:51     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-06-20 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Doyley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marvin,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Marvin Doyley <marvinpas@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is almost what I am looking for. I would be nice if I could get it to
> drill down into subdirectories.

Maybe this will help.

This defines a custom function:
<https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/lisp/nifty.el#L98>

I use the above function in these agenda commands:
<https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/org-mode-config.el#L379>

HTH

--
Suvayu