* [babel] [bug] bug in R-specific header argument for graphics driver
@ 2012-03-15 12:24 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-03-15 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Eric Schulte

When giving the header argument :title: the graph is not produced in a file:

* This works
  Display boxplot of spread of Mff over time for each release strategy
  :PROPERTIES:
  :results: graphics
  :file: SpreadOverTime.pdf
  :width: 4
  :height: 8
  :pointsize: 8
  :END:
  #+begin_src R
    plot(runif(100))
  #+end_src

* This doesn't
  Display boxplot of spread of Mff over time for each release strategy
  :PROPERTIES:
  :results: graphics
  :file: test.pdf
  :width: 4
  :height: 8
  :pointsize: 8
  :title: "test"
  :END:
  #+begin_src R
    plot(runif(100))
  #+end_src

Error message:

Error in pdf(file = "test.pdf", width = 4, height = 8, pointsize = 8,  :
  object 'test' not found
Calls: <Anonymous> -> <Anonymous> -> pdf
Execution halted

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* [babel] [bug] bug in R-specific header argument for graphics driver
@ 2012-03-19  8:55 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-03-19  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Eric Schulte

I did not get any response so far, so I hope that the email did not went out...

Rainer

[...]

- - --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [babel] [bug] bug in R-specific header argument for graphics driver
@ 2012-03-19 14:17 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

I see you CC'd me on this email.  I personally do not know anything
about how the graphics header argument to R code blocks works.  I would
recommend looking deeper into the behavior using the following tools

- Look at the expanded code block body using org-babel-expand-src-block
- Run the code block in a session, and then look into the session buffer
  to see what R code is being generated by Babel, then try to debug the
  R as you would normally
- look into the temporary R scripts generated during execution, which
  will live in a directory with a name like /tmp/babel-XXXXXX

If you are able to isolate a bug in Babel then I can help fix that bug
in the elisp code.

Thanks and sorry I can't be of more immediate,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] [bug] bug in R-specific header argument for graphics driver
@ 2012-03-19 14:35   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-03-19 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 19/03/12 15:17, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> I see you CC'd me on this email.  I personally do not know anything about how the graphics
> header argument to R code blocks works.

Sorry - I thought it was part of babel, and when I hear "babel", I think "eric knows it"...

> I would recommend looking deeper into the behavior using the following tools
>
> - Look at the expanded code block body using org-babel-expand-src-block - Run the code block in
> a session, and then look into the session buffer to see what R code is being generated by
> Babel, then try to debug the R as you would normally - look into the temporary R scripts
> generated during execution, which will live in a directory with a name like /tmp/babel-XXXXXX

Good idea - I'll look into it and give you feedback.

> If you are able to isolate a bug in Babel then I can help fix that bug in the elisp code.

Thanks - I still haven't managed to get into (e)lisp...

> Thanks and sorry I can't be of more immediate,

No problem,

Cheers,

Rainer

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I did not get any response so far, so I hope that the email did not went out...
>>
>> Rainer
>>

> When giving the header argument :title: the graph is not produced in a file:
>
> * This works Display boxplot of spread of Mff over time for each release strategy :PROPERTIES:
> :results: graphics :file: SpreadOverTime.pdf :width: 4 :height: 8 :pointsize: 8 :END:
> #+begin_src R plot(runif(100)) #+end_src
>
> * This doesn't Display boxplot of spread of Mff over time for each release strategy
> :PROPERTIES: :results: graphics :file: test.pdf :width: 4 :height: 8 :pointsize: 8 :title:
> "test" :END: #+begin_src R plot(runif(100)) #+end_src
>
> Error message:
>
> Error in pdf(file = "test.pdf", width = 4, height = 8, pointsize = 8,  : object 'test' not
> found Calls: <Anonymous> -> <Anonymous> -> pdf Execution halted
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer

- --

@ 2012-03-19 14:48     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-19 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On 19/03/12 15:17, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>> I see you CC'd me on this email.  I personally do not know anything about how the graphics
>> header argument to R code blocks works.
>
> Sorry - I thought it was part of babel, and when I hear "babel", I think "eric knows it"...

It is part of Babel, but Dan Davison is the author of much of the R
code, and in general there are increasingly language-specific authors
who know more about support particular to a specific language than do I.

>> I would recommend looking deeper into the behavior using the following tools
>>
>> - Look at the expanded code block body using org-babel-expand-src-block - Run the code block in
>> a session, and then look into the session buffer to see what R code is being generated by
>> Babel, then try to debug the R as you would normally - look into the temporary R scripts
>> generated during execution, which will live in a directory with a name like /tmp/babel-XXXXXX
>
> Good idea - I'll look into it and give you feedback.

Great, Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/