emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-07  8:30 Philipp M.
  2011-04-11  8:18 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Philipp M. @ 2011-04-07  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 760 bytes --]

In the recent org-mode realease something recurring ranges with timestamps
are not properly recognized in the agenda.
This wont work:
<2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>

Things get even messier when timestamps are involved: <2011-04-07 Thu
17:30-18:40 +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>

The usual fix is to use a diary sexp and put the time in the heading:

* 17:30-18:40 foo
<%%(and (= 3 (calendar-day-of-week date)) (diary-block 4 1 2011 9 30
2011)))>

Which in turn breaks exporting to iCalendar and is an ugly hack.

Unfortunately I'm not good enough at lisp to fix it myself, so I'd volunteer
for testing if someone is interested to fix it. As I can see it their are
multiple solutions: Either allow the diary sexp to use time or change the
way the ranges work.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 846 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
  2011-04-07  8:30 Recurring events with ranges broken Philipp M.
@ 2011-04-11  8:18 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
  2011-04-11  9:28   ` Radosław Grzanka
  2011-04-13  9:35   ` Philipp M.
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2011-04-11  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp M.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi, Philipp, 
> In the recent org-mode realease something 
could ou be more precise, please?

> recurring ranges with timestamps
> are not properly recognized in the agenda.
> This wont work:
> <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
uh! Has it ever worked ?-) 

Could you please give us an idea approximately 
when it was working?

Could you also, please, explain to me what's the 
rationale behind this kind of time range?
Why do intend to use it?

The _repeater interval_, indicates that the event applies 
not only on the given date, but again and again after a
certain interval. 

> <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>

when the first date is passed e.g. 21st of April <2011-04-21 Thr>
how can it match with a negative interval, since the second member is 
at the <2011-04-20 Wed> ?


cheers,
Giovanni

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
  2011-04-11  8:18 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
@ 2011-04-11  9:28   ` Radosław Grzanka
  2011-04-13  9:35   ` Philipp M.
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Radosław Grzanka @ 2011-04-11  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
>> recurring ranges with timestamps
>> are not properly recognized in the agenda.
>> This wont work:
>> <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
> uh! Has it ever worked ?-)
>
> Could you please give us an idea approximately
> when it was working?
>
> Could you also, please, explain to me what's the
> rationale behind this kind of time range?
> Why do intend to use it?

I'm not sure the intention of the original poster but I'd find that 
feature handy.
This notation would mean: repeat event each week until the date 
2011-04-20 - after that date stop. I know I wanted this in the past and 
it didn't work. Maybe there is other way - I was not motivated enough to 
dig deeper.

Cheers,
   Radek.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
  2011-04-11  8:18 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
  2011-04-11  9:28   ` Radosław Grzanka
@ 2011-04-13  9:35   ` Philipp M.
  2011-04-13 12:52     ` Carsten Dominik
  2011-04-15  3:04     ` Matt Lundin
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Philipp M. @ 2011-04-13  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1620 bytes --]

I apologize for the poor wording of my mail.


On 11 April 2011 10:18, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:

> "Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Hi, Philipp,
> > In the recent org-mode realease something
> could ou be more precise, please?
>

In org-mode 7.5.


>  > recurring ranges with timestamps
> > are not properly recognized in the agenda.
> > This wont work:
> > <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
> uh! Has it ever worked ?-)
>

 and

Could you please give us an idea approximately
> when it was working?
>

I don't think it ever worked.


> Could you also, please, explain to me what's the
> rationale behind this kind of time range?
> Why do intend to use it?
>

It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/org
-faq.html#org-diary-class
Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the heading is
the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all other attempts you
might expect to do what you want break silently.
Also it doesn't state the drawbacks of doing it like this (exporting
breaks).



> The _repeater interval_, indicates that the event applies
> not only on the given date, but again and again after a
> certain interval.
>
> > <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
>
> when the first date is passed e.g. 21st of April <2011-04-21 Thr>
> how can it match with a negative interval, since the second member is
> at the <2011-04-20 Wed> ?
>
>
I hope the usecase explains how I would want that to work.


>
> cheers,
> Giovanni
>

regards,
Philipp

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 3401 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
  2011-04-13  9:35   ` Philipp M.
@ 2011-04-13 12:52     ` Carsten Dominik
  2011-04-15  3:04     ` Matt Lundin
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-04-13 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp M.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Apr 13, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Philipp M. wrote:

> I apologize for the poor wording of my mail.
> 
> 
> On 11 April 2011 10:18, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
> "Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:
> 
> Hi, Philipp,
> > In the recent org-mode realease something
> could ou be more precise, please?
>  
> In org-mode 7.5. 
>  
> > recurring ranges with timestamps
> > are not properly recognized in the agenda.
> > This wont work:
> > <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
> uh! Has it ever worked ?-)
> 
>  and
> 
> Could you please give us an idea approximately
> when it was working?
> 
> I don't think it ever worked.
>  
> Could you also, please, explain to me what's the
> rationale behind this kind of time range?
> Why do intend to use it?
> 
> It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
> The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#org-diary-class
> Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the heading is the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all other attempts you might expect to do what you want break silently.
> Also it doesn't state the drawbacks of doing it like this (exporting breaks).

Since you have now figured it out, why don't you change the FAQ to reflect that knowledge?  The FAQ is user-editable. 


- Carsten

> 
>  
> The _repeater interval_, indicates that the event applies
> not only on the given date, but again and again after a
> certain interval.
> 
> > <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
> 
> when the first date is passed e.g. 21st of April <2011-04-21 Thr>
> how can it match with a negative interval, since the second member is
> at the <2011-04-20 Wed> ?
> 
> 
> I hope the usecase explains how I would want that to work.
>  
> 
> cheers,
> Giovanni
> 
> regards,
> Philipp

- Carsten

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
  2011-04-13  9:35   ` Philipp M.
  2011-04-13 12:52     ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2011-04-15  3:04     ` Matt Lundin
  2011-04-15 10:07       ` Philipp M.
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-04-15  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp M.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:

> It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
> The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/
> org-faq.html#org-diary-class
> Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the
> heading is the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all
> other attempts you might expect to do what you want break silently.

The following works fine for me here:

* My classes
%%(org-diary-class 2 20 2011 5 30 2011 4) 9:00am-10:00am Emacs 101

This method will cause the agenda to display the string following the
sexp (e.g., Emacs 101) rather than the headline.

Best,
Matt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
  2011-04-15  3:04     ` Matt Lundin
@ 2011-04-15 10:07       ` Philipp M.
  2011-04-15 10:29         ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Philipp M. @ 2011-04-15 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 770 bytes --]

On 15 April 2011 05:04, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> "Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
> > The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/
> > org-faq.html#org-diary-class
> > Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the
> > heading is the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all
> > other attempts you might expect to do what you want break silently.
>
> The following works fine for me here:
>
> * My classes
> %%(org-diary-class 2 20 2011 5 30 2011 4) 9:00am-10:00am Emacs 101
>
>
This works fine for the agenda but still fails to be exported properly as an
iCalendar, which is my main problem.

Regards,
Philipp

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1264 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
  2011-04-15 10:07       ` Philipp M.
@ 2011-04-15 10:29         ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-04-15 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp M.; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode


On Apr 15, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Philipp M. wrote:

> On 15 April 2011 05:04, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> "Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:
> 
> > It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
> > The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/
> > org-faq.html#org-diary-class
> > Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the
> > heading is the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all
> > other attempts you might expect to do what you want break silently.
> 
> The following works fine for me here:
> 
> * My classes
> %%(org-diary-class 2 20 2011 5 30 2011 4) 9:00am-10:00am Emacs 101
> 
> 
> This works fine for the agenda but still fails to be exported properly as an iCalendar, which is my main problem.

One way to address this would be to modify icalendar.el to make
it understand org-diary-class.  Start with a function like
calendar--convert-cyclic-to-ical and modify it to
read and convert org-diary-class entries as well.

icalendar.el should really have hooks to allow other functions
to be plugged into it, but it does not.  So you can just amend
one of its functions and define that after you loaded
icalendar.el, or use advice.

Another way would of cause be to put functionality into
org-icalendar to search for and convert such entries.


HTH

- Carsten

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-04-15 10:29 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-04-07  8:30 Recurring events with ranges broken Philipp M.
2011-04-11  8:18 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
2011-04-11  9:28   ` Radosław Grzanka
2011-04-13  9:35   ` Philipp M.
2011-04-13 12:52     ` Carsten Dominik
2011-04-15  3:04     ` Matt Lundin
2011-04-15 10:07       ` Philipp M.
2011-04-15 10:29         ` Carsten Dominik

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).