* Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-07  8:30 Philipp M.
From: Philipp M. @ 2011-04-07  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In the recent org-mode realease something recurring ranges with timestamps
are not properly recognized in the agenda.
This wont work:
<2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>

Things get even messier when timestamps are involved: <2011-04-07 Thu
17:30-18:40 +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>

The usual fix is to use a diary sexp and put the time in the heading:

* 17:30-18:40 foo
<%%(and (= 3 (calendar-day-of-week date)) (diary-block 4 1 2011 9 30
2011)))>

Which in turn breaks exporting to iCalendar and is an ugly hack.

Unfortunately I'm not good enough at lisp to fix it myself, so I'd volunteer
for testing if someone is interested to fix it. As I can see it their are
multiple solutions: Either allow the diary sexp to use time or change the
way the ranges work.

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-11  8:18 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2011-04-11  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp M.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi, Philipp,
> In the recent org-mode realease something
could ou be more precise, please?

> recurring ranges with timestamps
> are not properly recognized in the agenda.
> This wont work:
> <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
uh! Has it ever worked ?-)

Could you please give us an idea approximately
when it was working?

Could you also, please, explain to me what's the
rationale behind this kind of time range?
Why do intend to use it?

The _repeater interval_, indicates that the event applies
not only on the given date, but again and again after a
certain interval.

> <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>

when the first date is passed e.g. 21st of April <2011-04-21 Thr>
how can it match with a negative interval, since the second member is
at the <2011-04-20 Wed> ?

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-11  9:28   ` Radosław Grzanka
From: Radosław Grzanka @ 2011-04-11  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
>> recurring ranges with timestamps
>> are not properly recognized in the agenda.
>> This wont work:
>> <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
> uh! Has it ever worked ?-)
>
> Could you please give us an idea approximately
> when it was working?
>
> Could you also, please, explain to me what's the
> rationale behind this kind of time range?
> Why do intend to use it?

I'm not sure the intention of the original poster but I'd find that
feature handy.
This notation would mean: repeat event each week until the date
2011-04-20 - after that date stop. I know I wanted this in the past and
it didn't work. Maybe there is other way - I was not motivated enough to
dig deeper.

Cheers,
   Radek.

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-13  9:35   ` Philipp M.
From: Philipp M. @ 2011-04-13  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I apologize for the poor wording of my mail.

On 11 April 2011 10:18, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:

> "Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Hi, Philipp,
> > In the recent org-mode realease something
> could ou be more precise, please?

In org-mode 7.5.

>  > recurring ranges with timestamps
> > are not properly recognized in the agenda.
> > This wont work:
> > <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
> uh! Has it ever worked ?-)

 and

Could you please give us an idea approximately
> when it was working?

I don't think it ever worked.

> Could you also, please, explain to me what's the
> rationale behind this kind of time range?
> Why do intend to use it?

It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/org
-faq.html#org-diary-class
Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the heading is
the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all other attempts you
might expect to do what you want break silently.
Also it doesn't state the drawbacks of doing it like this (exporting
breaks).

> The _repeater interval_, indicates that the event applies
> not only on the given date, but again and again after a
> certain interval.
>
> > <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
>
> when the first date is passed e.g. 21st of April <2011-04-21 Thr>
> how can it match with a negative interval, since the second member is
> at the <2011-04-20 Wed> ?

I hope the usecase explains how I would want that to work.

> cheers,
> Giovanni

regards,
Philipp

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-13 12:52     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-04-13 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp M.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 13, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Philipp M. wrote:

> I apologize for the poor wording of my mail.
>

> On 11 April 2011 10:18, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
> "Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Hi, Philipp,
> > In the recent org-mode realease something
> could ou be more precise, please?
>
> In org-mode 7.5.
>
> > recurring ranges with timestamps
> > are not properly recognized in the agenda.
> > This wont work:
> > <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
> uh! Has it ever worked ?-)
>
>  and
>
> Could you please give us an idea approximately
> when it was working?
>
> I don't think it ever worked.
>
> Could you also, please, explain to me what's the
> rationale behind this kind of time range?
> Why do intend to use it?
>
> It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
> The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#org-diary-class
> Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the heading is the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all other attempts you might expect to do what you want break silently.
> Also it doesn't state the drawbacks of doing it like this (exporting breaks).

Since you have now figured it out, why don't you change the FAQ to reflect that knowledge?  The FAQ is user-editable.

- Carsten

> The _repeater interval_, indicates that the event applies
> not only on the given date, but again and again after a
> certain interval.
>
> > <2011-04-07 Thu +1w>--<2011-04-20 Wed>
>
> when the first date is passed e.g. 21st of April <2011-04-21 Thr>
> how can it match with a negative interval, since the second member is
> at the <2011-04-20 Wed> ?
>

> I hope the usecase explains how I would want that to work.
>

> cheers,
> Giovanni
>
> regards,
> Philipp

- Carsten

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-15  3:04     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-04-15  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp M.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:

> It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
> The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/
> org-faq.html#org-diary-class
> Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the
> heading is the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all
> other attempts you might expect to do what you want break silently.

The following works fine for me here:

* My classes
%%(org-diary-class 2 20 2011 5 30 2011 4) 9:00am-10:00am Emacs 101

This method will cause the agenda to display the string following the
sexp (e.g., Emacs 101) rather than the headline.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-15 10:07       ` Philipp M.
From: Philipp M. @ 2011-04-15 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 15 April 2011 05:04, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> "Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
> > The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/
> > org-faq.html#org-diary-class
> > Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the
> > heading is the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all
> > other attempts you might expect to do what you want break silently.
>
> The following works fine for me here:
>
> * My classes
> %%(org-diary-class 2 20 2011 5 30 2011 4) 9:00am-10:00am Emacs 101

This works fine for the agenda but still fails to be exported properly as an
iCalendar, which is my main problem.

Regards,
Philipp

* Re: Recurring events with ranges broken
@ 2011-04-15 10:29         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-04-15 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp M.; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 15, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Philipp M. wrote:

> On 15 April 2011 05:04, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> "Philipp M." <bootsarehax@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > It would be the proper way to set up timetables for a semester.
> > The workaround I use is mentioned in the FAQ http://orgmode.org/worg/
> > org-faq.html#org-diary-class
> > Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't state that putting the time in the
> > heading is the only way to get the time into the agenda and that all
> > other attempts you might expect to do what you want break silently.
>
> The following works fine for me here:
>
> * My classes
> %%(org-diary-class 2 20 2011 5 30 2011 4) 9:00am-10:00am Emacs 101
>

> This works fine for the agenda but still fails to be exported properly as an iCalendar, which is my main problem.

One way to address this would be to modify icalendar.el to make
it understand org-diary-class.  Start with a function like
calendar--convert-cyclic-to-ical and modify it to
read and convert org-diary-class entries as well.

icalendar.el should really have hooks to allow other functions
to be plugged into it, but it does not.  So you can just amend
one of its functions and define that after you loaded
icalendar.el, or use advice.

Another way would of cause be to put functionality into
org-icalendar to search for and convert such entries.

HTH

- Carsten