emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* why was makefile changed to produce this?
@ 2011-10-18  5:02 Jude DaShiell
  2011-10-18  7:15 ` Michael Brand
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-10-18  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Script started on Tue 18 Oct 2011 12:55:27 AM EDT
jude@stmarys:~/org-mode$ make \b^[[K\b^[[K\b^[[K\b^[[K\b^[[Ksudo make install-info
(cd doc && makeinfo --no-split org.texi -o org)
/bin/sh: 1: makeinfo: not found
make: *** [doc/org] Error 127
jude@stmarys:~/org-mode$ exit
exit

Script done on Tue 18 Oct 2011 12:56:00 AM EDT

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
If I got a nickel for every message I've already sent supporting Microsoft
Windows and its applications I'd have enough to retire on comfortably no
matter what the stock market did.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: why was makefile changed to produce this?
  2011-10-18  5:02 why was makefile changed to produce this? Jude DaShiell
@ 2011-10-18  7:15 ` Michael Brand
  2011-10-18  7:54   ` Jude DaShiell
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-10-18  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jude

Have you checked if the binary makeinfo can be found somewhere and if
it is reachable by your PATH? What is the output of these commands?
find /usr /bin /sbin -name makeinfo
echo $PATH
cd ~/org-mode && make info

Michael

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 07:02, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Script started on Tue 18 Oct 2011 12:55:27 AM EDT
> jude@stmarys:~/org-mode$ make   [K  [K  [K  [K  [Ksudo make install-info
> (cd doc && makeinfo --no-split org.texi -o org)
> /bin/sh: 1: makeinfo: not found
> make: *** [doc/org] Error 127
> jude@stmarys:~/org-mode$ exit
> exit
>
> Script done on Tue 18 Oct 2011 12:56:00 AM EDT

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: why was makefile changed to produce this?
  2011-10-18  7:15 ` Michael Brand
@ 2011-10-18  7:54   ` Jude DaShiell
  2011-10-18  8:41     ` Olaf Meeuwissen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-10-18  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

For the record, this is a new installation of debian wheezy and 
the makeinfo utility doesn't appear to be in the distribution let alone 
on my system.

Script started on Tue 18 Oct 2011 03:50:42 AM EDT
jude@stmarys:~$ ./findmakeinfo.sh
find: `/usr/lost+found': Permission denied
/usr/bin/mh:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
(cd doc && makeinfo --no-split org.texi -o org)
/bin/sh: 1: makeinfo: not found
make: *** [doc/org] Error 127
jude@stmarys:~$ exit
exit

Script done on Tue 18 Oct 2011 03:51:22 AM EDT

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Michael Brand wrote:

> Hi Jude
> 
> Have you checked if the binary makeinfo can be found somewhere and if
> it is reachable by your PATH? What is the output of these commands?
> find /usr /bin /sbin -name makeinfo
> echo $PATH
> cd ~/org-mode && make info
> 
> Michael
> 
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 07:02, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> > Script started on Tue 18 Oct 2011 12:55:27 AM EDT
> > jude@stmarys:~/org-mode$ make   [K  [K  [K  [K  [Ksudo make install-info
> > (cd doc && makeinfo --no-split org.texi -o org)
> > /bin/sh: 1: makeinfo: not found
> > make: *** [doc/org] Error 127
> > jude@stmarys:~/org-mode$ exit
> > exit
> >
> > Script done on Tue 18 Oct 2011 12:56:00 AM EDT
> 
> 

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
If I got a nickel for every message I've already sent supporting Microsoft
Windows and its applications I'd have enough to retire on comfortably no
matter what the stock market did.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: why was makefile changed to produce this?
  2011-10-18  7:54   ` Jude DaShiell
@ 2011-10-18  8:41     ` Olaf Meeuwissen
  2011-10-18 13:10       ` [OT] " Nick Dokos
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Olaf Meeuwissen @ 2011-10-18  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Michael Brand, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> For the record, this is a new installation of debian wheezy and 
> the makeinfo utility doesn't appear to be in the distribution let alone 
> on my system.

  sudo apt-get install texinfo

I usually keep a (somewhat stale) copy of Contents-$arch.gz around and
find necessary packages with

  zegrep bin/makeinfo Contents-$arch.gz

There is (was?) a package that would make package suggestions if a
command isn't found but I can't recall its name.
# Somewhat annoying when you make a typo but ...

Hope this helps,
-- 
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS CORPORATION
FSF Associate Member #1962               Help support software freedom
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* [OT] Re:  why was makefile changed to produce this?
  2011-10-18  8:41     ` Olaf Meeuwissen
@ 2011-10-18 13:10       ` Nick Dokos
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-10-18 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Meeuwissen
  Cc: Jude DaShiell, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Michael Brand

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen@avasys.jp> wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
> 
> > For the record, this is a new installation of debian wheezy and 
> > the makeinfo utility doesn't appear to be in the distribution let alone 
> > on my system.
> 
>   sudo apt-get install texinfo
> 
> I usually keep a (somewhat stale) copy of Contents-$arch.gz around and
> find necessary packages with
> 
>   zegrep bin/makeinfo Contents-$arch.gz
> 
> There is (was?) a package that would make package suggestions if a
> command isn't found but I can't recall its name.
> # Somewhat annoying when you make a typo but ...
> 

Yup - I went looking for it after your comment above, something I've been
meaning to do for a while and always deferred: thanks for the push!

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ apt-cache show command-not-found
Package: command-not-found
Priority: standard
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 128
Maintainer: Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@ubuntu.com>
Original-Maintainer: Zygmunt Krynicki <zkrynicki@gmail.com>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.2.40ubuntu15
Depends: python (<< 2.7), python (>= 2.6), python-central (>= 0.6.11), python-apt, command-not-found-data, python-gdbm, lsb-release
Filename: pool/main/c/command-not-found/command-not-found_0.2.40ubuntu15_all.deb
Size: 12782
MD5sum: 2f4a931fc086e483e717f8270c551a0a
SHA1: d6806bdbfe0de3360c83562610be06eb721b276c
SHA256: 8b12da167c9a9c45470ccffa4a7e2c88bed7c59b475109838d3a12994edd6871
Description: Suggest installation of packages in interactive bash sessions
 This package will install a handler for command_not_found that looks up
 programs not currently installed but available from the repositories.
Python-Version: 2.6
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Supported: 18m
Task: standard
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Nick

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-10-18 13:10 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-10-18  5:02 why was makefile changed to produce this? Jude DaShiell
2011-10-18  7:15 ` Michael Brand
2011-10-18  7:54   ` Jude DaShiell
2011-10-18  8:41     ` Olaf Meeuwissen
2011-10-18 13:10       ` [OT] " Nick Dokos

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).