* why was makefile changed to produce this?
@ 2011-10-18  5:02 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-10-18  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Script started on Tue 18 Oct 2011 12:55:27 AM EDT
jude@stmarys:~/org-mode$ make \b^[[K\b^[[K\b^[[K\b^[[K\b^[[Ksudo make install-info
(cd doc && makeinfo --no-split org.texi -o org)
/bin/sh: 1: makeinfo: not found
make: *** [doc/org] Error 127
jude@stmarys:~/org-mode$ exit
exit

Script done on Tue 18 Oct 2011 12:56:00 AM EDT

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
If I got a nickel for every message I've already sent supporting Microsoft
Windows and its applications I'd have enough to retire on comfortably no
matter what the stock market did.

* Re: why was makefile changed to produce this?
@ 2011-10-18  7:15 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-10-18  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jude

Have you checked if the binary makeinfo can be found somewhere and if
it is reachable by your PATH? What is the output of these commands?
find /usr /bin /sbin -name makeinfo
echo $PATH
cd ~/org-mode && make info

Michael

@ 2011-10-18  7:54   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-10-18  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

For the record, this is a new installation of debian wheezy and
the makeinfo utility doesn't appear to be in the distribution let alone
on my system.

Script started on Tue 18 Oct 2011 03:50:42 AM EDT
jude@stmarys:~$ ./findmakeinfo.sh
find: `/usr/lost+found': Permission denied
/usr/bin/mh:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
(cd doc && makeinfo --no-split org.texi -o org)
/bin/sh: 1: makeinfo: not found
make: *** [doc/org] Error 127
jude@stmarys:~$ exit
exit

Script done on Tue 18 Oct 2011 03:51:22 AM EDT

@ 2011-10-18  8:27 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-10-18  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

My bad, I was missing texinfo package and thought that had already been
installed.  Once that got installed, everything works as well as it did
earlier this year.  If I knew what path that error took, I'd write what
might be a better error message for it asking for the texinfo package to
be installed.

@ 2011-10-18  8:41     ` Olaf Meeuwissen
From: Olaf Meeuwissen @ 2011-10-18  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Michael Brand, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> For the record, this is a new installation of debian wheezy and
> the makeinfo utility doesn't appear to be in the distribution let alone
> on my system.

  sudo apt-get install texinfo

I usually keep a (somewhat stale) copy of Contents-$arch.gz around and
find necessary packages with

  zegrep bin/makeinfo Contents-$arch.gz

There is (was?) a package that would make package suggestions if a
command isn't found but I can't recall its name.
# Somewhat annoying when you make a typo but ...

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962

* Re: why was makefile changed to produce this?
@ 2011-10-18 12:49 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-10-18 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

> My bad, I was missing texinfo package and thought that had already been
> installed.  Once that got installed, everything works as well as it did
> earlier this year.  If I knew what path that error took, I'd write what
> might be a better error message for it asking for the texinfo package to
> be installed.

Here is a useful command that you can use on Debian and Ubuntu systems
in situations like this:

$ dpkg -S makeinfo
texinfo: /usr/bin/makeinfo
octave3.2-common: /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/help/__makeinfo__.m
emacs23-common: /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.elc
texinfo: /usr/share/man/man1/makeinfo.1.gz

It tells you the packages containing files that match the argument
to the command.

Also, on modern Ubuntu, it is often the case that when you try to
execute a command by hand and it is not found, the system will suggest
the installation of a package:

$ foo
No command 'foo' found, did you mean:
 Command 'fio' from package 'fio' (universe)
 Command 'goo' from package 'goo' (universe)
 Command 'fop' from package 'fop' (universe)
 Command 'fox' from package 'objcryst-fox' (universe)
 Command 'xoo' from package 'xoo' (universe)
 Command 'zoo' from package 'zoo' (universe)
foo: command not found

$ goo
The program 'goo' is currently not installed.  To run 'goo' please ask your administrator to install the package 'goo'

HTH,
Nick

PS I have no idea what the package/command ``goo'' does.

* [OT] Re:  why was makefile changed to produce this?
@ 2011-10-18 13:10       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-10-18 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Meeuwissen
  Cc: Jude DaShiell, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Michael Brand

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen@avasys.jp> wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>
> > For the record, this is a new installation of debian wheezy and
> > the makeinfo utility doesn't appear to be in the distribution let alone
> > on my system.
>
>   sudo apt-get install texinfo
>
> I usually keep a (somewhat stale) copy of Contents-$arch.gz around and
> find necessary packages with
>
>   zegrep bin/makeinfo Contents-$arch.gz
>
> There is (was?) a package that would make package suggestions if a
> command isn't found but I can't recall its name.
> # Somewhat annoying when you make a typo but ...

Yup - I went looking for it after your comment above, something I've been
meaning to do for a while and always deferred: thanks for the push!

$ apt-cache show command-not-found
Package: command-not-found
 This package will install a handler for command_not_found that looks up
 programs not currently installed but available from the repositories.
Python-Version: 2.6
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Supported: 18m
Task: standard

Nick

* Re: why was makefile changed to produce this?
@ 2011-10-18 23:14   ` Olaf Meeuwissen
From: Olaf Meeuwissen @ 2011-10-18 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Jude DaShiell, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
>
>> My bad, I was missing texinfo package and thought that had already been
>> installed.  Once that got installed, everything works as well as it did
>> earlier this year.  If I knew what path that error took, I'd write what
>> might be a better error message for it asking for the texinfo package to
>> be installed.
>
> Here is a useful command that you can use on Debian and Ubuntu systems
> in situations like this:
>
> $ dpkg -S makeinfo
> texinfo: /usr/bin/makeinfo
> octave3.2-common: /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/help/__makeinfo__.m
> emacs23-common: /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.elc
> texinfo: /usr/share/man/man1/makeinfo.1.gz

This only works for installed packages, though, as it searches the files
below /var/lib/dpkg/info, IIRC.
BTW, dpkg forwards that request to dpkg-query.

> [...]
>
> $ goo
> The program 'goo' is currently not installed.  To run 'goo' please ask your administrator to install the package 'goo'

In which case `apt-cache show goo` may be of help.

@ 2011-10-18 23:41     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-10-18 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Meeuwissen; +Cc: Jude DaShiell, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen@avasys.jp> wrote:

> > Here is a useful command that you can use on Debian and Ubuntu systems
> > in situations like this:
> >
> > $ dpkg -S makeinfo
> > texinfo: /usr/bin/makeinfo
> > octave3.2-common: /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/help/__makeinfo__.m
> > emacs23-common: /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.elc
> > texinfo: /usr/share/man/man1/makeinfo.1.gz
>
> This only works for installed packages, though, as it searches the files
> below /var/lib/dpkg/info, IIRC.
> BTW, dpkg forwards that request to dpkg-query.

Ah, you are right: it's only useful after the fact.

Nick

@ 2011-10-19 11:26     ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2011-10-19 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Jude DaShiell, Nicholas Dokos, Olaf Meeuwissen

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen@avasys.jp> writes:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

[...]

>> $ dpkg -S makeinfo
>> texinfo: /usr/bin/makeinfo
>> octave3.2-common: /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/help/__makeinfo__.m
>> emacs23-common: /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.elc
>> texinfo: /usr/share/man/man1/makeinfo.1.gz
>
> This only works for installed packages, though, as it searches the files
> below /var/lib/dpkg/info, IIRC.
> BTW, dpkg forwards that request to dpkg-query.

you might want to use apt-files

$ apt-file search makeinfo                                                     ~
emacs23-common: /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.elc
emacs23-el: /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.el.gz

[...]

if updated regularly apt-file's database will contain every files in
every package in debian.

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: why was makefile changed to produce this?
@ 2011-10-19 14:59       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-10-19 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?utf-8?Q?R=C3=A9mi_Vanicat?=
  Cc: Jude DaShiell, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Olaf Meeuwissen

Rémi Vanicat <vanicat@debian.org> wrote:

> Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen@avasys.jp> writes:
>
> > Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
> >

> [...]
>

> >> $ dpkg -S makeinfo
> >> texinfo: /usr/bin/makeinfo
> >> octave3.2-common: /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/help/__makeinfo__.m
> >> emacs23-common: /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.elc
> >> texinfo: /usr/share/man/man1/makeinfo.1.gz
> >
> > This only works for installed packages, though, as it searches the files
> > below /var/lib/dpkg/info, IIRC.
> > BTW, dpkg forwards that request to dpkg-query.
> >

> you might want to use apt-files
>
> $ apt-file search makeinfo                                                     ~
> emacs23-common: /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.elc
> emacs23-el: /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes/makeinfo.el.gz
>
> [...]
>
> if updated regularly apt-file's database will contain every files in
> every package in debian.

Nice - thanks!

Nick