emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Recurring TODO on weekdays only?
@ 2011-06-29 13:55 Loris Bennett
  2011-06-29 18:52 ` Memnon Anon
  2011-06-29 19:39 ` Karl Voit
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Loris Bennett @ 2011-06-29 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I want to have a todo which repeats indefinitely on weekdays only. I
have the following:

** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
   SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
   SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>

However, I'm sure I'm overlooking something and there is a more elegant
way.

Cheers,

Loris

-- 
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de    

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring TODO on weekdays only?
  2011-06-29 13:55 Recurring TODO on weekdays only? Loris Bennett
@ 2011-06-29 18:52 ` Memnon Anon
  2011-06-29 20:43   ` Karl Voit
  2011-06-29 19:39 ` Karl Voit
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-06-29 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> I want to have a todo which repeats indefinitely on weekdays only. I
> have the following:
>
> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>

** TODO Dust hard drives
   <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
   <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
   <2011-07-06 Wed +1w>
   <2011-07-07 Thu +1w>
   <2011-07-08 Fri +1w>

should do it ... 
...
shouldn't it?

Vielleicht hat die Rostlaube auch heute einfach mein Gehirn weichgekocht
;).

Memnon 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring TODO on weekdays only?
  2011-06-29 13:55 Recurring TODO on weekdays only? Loris Bennett
  2011-06-29 18:52 ` Memnon Anon
@ 2011-06-29 19:39 ` Karl Voit
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-06-29 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Dear all,

Hi you :-)

> I want to have a todo which repeats indefinitely on weekdays only. 

Probably you are looking for sexp datestamps:
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Timestamps (and following)

(I do not use them by my self (yet)).

-- 
Karl Voit

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring TODO on weekdays only?
  2011-06-29 18:52 ` Memnon Anon
@ 2011-06-29 20:43   ` Karl Voit
  2011-06-30 10:47     ` Loris Bennett
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-06-29 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
>> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
>> ** TODO Dust hard drives                                                     
>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>
>
> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>    <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>    <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>    <2011-07-06 Wed +1w>
>    <2011-07-07 Thu +1w>
>    <2011-07-08 Fri +1w>
>
> should do it ... 
> ...
> shouldn't it?

It does.

But you should be aware that you «lose» a cool feature I was pointed
to: org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift [1]

With this cool thing you can «generate» several simple occurrences
from the recurring entry. I use this to manually delete single
events of a recurring series of events.

> Vielleicht hat die Rostlaube auch heute einfach mein Gehirn weichgekocht
> ;).

Du wirst von einer Rostlaube gekocht?

  1. http://orgmode.org/org.html#Structure-editing and
     http://orgmode.org/org.html#Repeated-tasks

-- 
Karl Voit

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring TODO on weekdays only?
  2011-06-29 20:43   ` Karl Voit
@ 2011-06-30 10:47     ` Loris Bennett
  2011-06-30 12:05       ` Memnon Anon
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Loris Bennett @ 2011-06-30 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>
>>
>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>    <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>>    <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>>    <2011-07-06 Wed +1w>
>>    <2011-07-07 Thu +1w>
>>    <2011-07-08 Fri +1w>
>>
>> should do it ... 
>> ...
>> shouldn't it?
>
> It does.

It doesn't quite work for me. If I have 

* TODO Dust off hard drives
  SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>

then my agenda looks like this:

Wednesday  29 June 2011
  tmp:        Scheduled:  TODO Dust off hard drives
Thursday   30 June 2011
  tmp:        Sched. 2x:  TODO Dust off hard drives
  tmp:        Scheduled:  TODO Dust off hard drives
Friday      1 July 2011
  tmp:        Scheduled:  TODO Dust off hard drives

If then I mark yesterday's dusting as done in the agenda I get

* TODO Dust off hard drives
  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-06 Wed +1w>
  - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2011-06-30 Thu 12:33]
  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-07 Thu +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-08 Fri +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-11 Mon +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-12 Tue +1w>

and all the tasks until next Wednesday disappear. This doesn't happen if
I have a separate repeating task for each day.

> But you should be aware that you «lose» a cool feature I was pointed
> to: org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift [1]
>
> With this cool thing you can «generate» several simple occurrences
> from the recurring entry. I use this to manually delete single
> events of a recurring series of events.
>
>> Vielleicht hat die Rostlaube auch heute einfach mein Gehirn weichgekocht
>> ;).
>
> Du wirst von einer Rostlaube gekocht?
>
>   1. http://orgmode.org/org.html#Structure-editing and
>      http://orgmode.org/org.html#Repeated-tasks

-- 
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring TODO on weekdays only?
  2011-06-30 10:47     ` Loris Bennett
@ 2011-06-30 12:05       ` Memnon Anon
  2011-06-30 13:50         ` loris.bennett
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-06-30 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>> * Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>
>>>
>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>    <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>>>    <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>>>    <2011-07-06 Wed +1w>
>>>    <2011-07-07 Thu +1w>
>>>    <2011-07-08 Fri +1w>
[...]
> It doesn't quite work for me. If I have 
>
> * TODO Dust off hard drives
>   SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
>   SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
>   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>
>   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>
> then my agenda looks like this:
[...]

This is not what I suggested.
Try Plain Stamps, not SCHEDULED ones.

Memnon

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring TODO on weekdays only?
  2011-06-30 12:05       ` Memnon Anon
@ 2011-06-30 13:50         ` loris.bennett
  2011-06-30 14:45           ` Memnon Anon
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: loris.bennett @ 2011-06-30 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>>> * Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
>>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
>>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>>    SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>
>>>>
>>>> ** TODO Dust hard drives
>>>>    <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>>>>    <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>>>>    <2011-07-06 Wed +1w>
>>>>    <2011-07-07 Thu +1w>
>>>>    <2011-07-08 Fri +1w>
> [...]
>> It doesn't quite work for me. If I have 
>>
>> * TODO Dust off hard drives
>>   SCHEDULED: <2011-06-29 Wed +1w>
>>   SCHEDULED: <2011-06-30 Thu +1w>
>>   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-01 Fri +1w>
>>   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-04 Mon +1w>
>>   SCHEDULED: <2011-07-05 Tue +1w>
>>
>> then my agenda looks like this:
> [...]
>
> This is not what I suggested.
> Try Plain Stamps, not SCHEDULED ones.

Sorry, my bad. But it doesn't make any difference whether I use
SCHEDULED or not. If I mark yesterday's task as complete, all the tasks
until the repetition of the completed task disappear from the agenda.

> Memnon

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Recurring TODO on weekdays only?
  2011-06-30 13:50         ` loris.bennett
@ 2011-06-30 14:45           ` Memnon Anon
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-06-30 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de writes:

> Sorry, my bad. But it doesn't make any difference whether I use
> SCHEDULED or not. If I mark yesterday's task as complete, all the tasks
> until the repetition of the completed task disappear from the agenda.

Argh,
I did a quick test before I suggested it, and I got the impression that
only the one timestamp got reset. Tried again more carefully, nope, all
of them are reset +1w. 
Sorry!

Memnon

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-06-30 14:45 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-06-29 13:55 Recurring TODO on weekdays only? Loris Bennett
2011-06-29 18:52 ` Memnon Anon
2011-06-29 20:43   ` Karl Voit
2011-06-30 10:47     ` Loris Bennett
2011-06-30 12:05       ` Memnon Anon
2011-06-30 13:50         ` loris.bennett
2011-06-30 14:45           ` Memnon Anon
2011-06-29 19:39 ` Karl Voit

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).