* a couple of possible bugs in filling/indenting of plain lists
@ 2007-06-01 16:09 William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-01 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi list

I have the following problems with org 4.76 (and previous versions
too). This is with emacs 22.0.50.1 (aquamacs 0.9.9d on OS X). My
fill-paragraph seems to be provided by fill-adapt.el version 2.12. My
indent-relative seems to come from the vanilla emacs version of
indent.el.

Cheers

Will

* Illustration of two bugs in org-mode filling/indenting
** Problem with indent-relative in lists
   1. If I carry out the instruction in the following list item, the
      item is indented right by 2 spaces
   2. *Press TAB key with the cursor in this line*
   3. The same thing happens with + or - bullets
   4. I have org-cycle-include-plain lists set to nil
   5. The problem also appears even with all single-line items

** Problem with fill-paragraph in lists of deeply nested headings
   - Another list item that is filled correctly by the fill-paragraph
     command. Here are some more words.
*** header 3
    - A third list item that is filled correctly by the fill-paragraph
      command. Here are some more words.
**** header 4
     - A fourth list item that is filled correctly by the
       fill-paragraph command. Here are some more words.
***** header 5
      - A fifth list item that is filled correctly by the
        fill-paragraph command. Here are some more words.
      - another item
      - and another
****** header 6
       - A sixth list item that is filled correctly by the
         fill-paragraph command. Here are some more words.
       - another item
       - and another
****** This is where the problems start
	- A seventh list item that is *not* filled correctly by the
fill-paragraph command, although it does work correctly with
auto-fill-mode. Note that the lines after the first lose all
their indentation.
******** header 8
	 - An eighth list item that is not filled correctly by the
fill-paragraph command. Here are some more words.

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: a couple of possible bugs in filling/indenting of plain lists
@ 2007-06-01 19:28 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-06-01 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

For me, my indent problems where solved when I turned off the use of
tabs.  I don't remember how I did it right now and I don't have access
to my work system at the moment.  I'll let you know when I can check.

Edd

@ 2007-06-04  8:08 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-04  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As Eddward says, you seem to be able to circumvent this by not
allowing indent.el to use TAB characters for indentation:

(setq indent-tabs-mode nil)

It seems to me that this problem is a bug in the Emacs indentation
code, not in Org-mode.

- Carsten

On Jun 1, 2007, at 18:09, William Henney wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I have the following problems with org 4.76 (and previous versions
> too). This is with emacs 22.0.50.1 (aquamacs 0.9.9d on OS X). My
> fill-paragraph seems to be provided by fill-adapt.el version 2.12. My
> indent-relative seems to come from the vanilla emacs version of
> indent.el.
>
> Cheers
>
> Will
>

> * Illustration of two bugs in org-mode filling/indenting
> ** Problem with indent-relative in lists
>   1. If I carry out the instruction in the following list item, the
>      item is indented right by 2 spaces
>   2. *Press TAB key with the cursor in this line*
>   3. The same thing happens with + or - bullets
>   4. I have org-cycle-include-plain lists set to nil
>   5. The problem also appears even with all single-line items
>
> ** Problem with fill-paragraph in lists of deeply nested headings
>   - Another list item that is filled correctly by the fill-paragraph
>     command. Here are some more words.
> *** header 3
>    - A third list item that is filled correctly by the fill-paragraph
>      command. Here are some more words.
> **** header 4
>     - A fourth list item that is filled correctly by the
>       fill-paragraph command. Here are some more words.
> ***** header 5
>      - A fifth list item that is filled correctly by the
>        fill-paragraph command. Here are some more words.
>      - another item
>      - and another
> ****** header 6
>       - A sixth list item that is filled correctly by the
>         fill-paragraph command. Here are some more words.
>       - another item
>       - and another
> ****** This is where the problems start
> 	- A seventh list item that is *not* filled correctly by the
> fill-paragraph command, although it does work correctly with
> auto-fill-mode. Note that the lines after the first lose all
> their indentation.
> ******** header 8
> 	 - An eighth list item that is not filled correctly by the
> fill-paragraph command. Here are some more words.
>
> --
>
>  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
>  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: a couple of possible bugs in filling/indenting of plain lists
@ 2007-06-04 10:57   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-04 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- Carsten Dominik (2007-06-04) wrote:-----

> As Eddward says, you seem to be able to circumvent this by not
> allowing indent.el to use TAB characters for indentation:
>
> (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
>
> It seems to me that this problem is a bug in the Emacs indentation
> code, not in Org-mode.
>
> - Carsten

This seems to come up quite often. Maybe we should report it to Emacs to
get it properly fixed ;)

I don't understand what's wrong and what should be fixed. Otherwise I
will report it.

* Re: a couple of possible bugs in filling/indenting of plain lists
@ 2007-06-04 11:49   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-04 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

It turns out that this was after all an org-mode bug.

Fixed for 4.77, thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2007-06-04 13:39     ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-04 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 6/4/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> It turns out that this was after all an org-mode bug.
>
> Fixed for 4.77, thanks.

Thanks Carsten. Is this fix just for the indent-relative bug, or does
it fix the second (fill-paragraph) bug as well? I think that the
second bug might not have anything to do with lists, since I am sure I
have occasionally seen it in a plain paragraph after a deeply nested
heading, but I can't seem to reproduce that now.

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-06-04 19:15       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-04 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 4, 2007, at 15:39, William Henney wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> It turns out that this was after all an org-mode bug.
>>
>> Fixed for 4.77, thanks.
>
> Thanks Carsten. Is this fix just for the indent-relative bug, or does
> it fix the second (fill-paragraph) bug as well? I think that the
> second bug might not have anything to do with lists, since I am sure I
> have occasionally seen it in a plain paragraph after a deeply nested
> heading, but I can't seem to reproduce that now.

The fix will only fix the second bug (with fill-paragraph).  The first
problem I believe cannot be fixed, because Org-mode cannot know if
you want to start a new level of lists, or if you are continuing the
current list.

- Carsten

* Re: a couple of possible bugs in filling/indenting of plain lists
@ 2007-06-04 23:46         ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-04 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 6/4/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2007, at 15:39, William Henney wrote:
>
> > Thanks Carsten. Is this fix just for the indent-relative bug, or does
> > it fix the second (fill-paragraph) bug as well?
>
> The fix will only fix the second bug (with fill-paragraph).  The first
> problem I believe cannot be fixed, because Org-mode cannot know if
> you want to start a new level of lists, or if you are continuing the
> current list.

Thanks for the explanation. I am still a bit confused though, since
even if org thought I wanted to start a new list, then it should only
indent by one space, whereas it actually indents by two....

I repeat my original example here:

** Problem with indent-relative in lists
   1. If I carry out the instruction in the following list item, the
      item is indented right by 2 spaces
   2. *Press TAB key with the cursor in this line*
   3. The same thing happens with + or - bullets
   4. I have org-cycle-include-plain lists set to nil
   5. The problem also appears even with all single-line items

In the case of ordered lists, I think that you can tell (in principle)
if the item represents the start of a new list. Whether it is worth
your effort is another matter :)

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-06-06  8:45           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-06  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 5, 2007, at 1:46, William Henney wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 4, 2007, at 15:39, William Henney wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks Carsten. Is this fix just for the indent-relative bug, or
>> does
>> > it fix the second (fill-paragraph) bug as well?
>>
>> The fix will only fix the second bug (with fill-paragraph).  The first
>> problem I believe cannot be fixed, because Org-mode cannot know if
>> you want to start a new level of lists, or if you are continuing the
>> current list.
>>

> Thanks for the explanation. I am still a bit confused though, since
> even if org thought I wanted to start a new list, then it should only
> indent by one space, whereas it actually indents by two....

No, when starting a new list level, the bullet character should be
under the left margin of the text of the upper llevel, i.e.
2 characters indented.

> In the case of ordered lists, I think that you can tell (in principle)
> if the item represents the start of a new list. Whether it is worth
> your effort is another matter :)

Yes, I could do a lot of parsing, but I don't think it is worth the
effort.
If you use M-RET to make new list items, indentation is set correctly.

- Carsten

* Re: a couple of possible bugs in filling/indenting of plain lists
@ 2007-06-06 12:18             ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-06 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten

On 6/6/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> No, when starting a new list level, the bullet character should be
> under the left margin of the text of the upper llevel, i.e.
> 2 characters indented.

That's not how it works for me. For instance, org-metaright indents by
one extra character, not two. Same in lists as with headings. Perhaps,
you are you thinking of the case with org-odd-levels-only set to t.

> > In the case of ordered lists, I think that you can tell (in principle)
> > if the item represents the start of a new list. Whether it is worth
> > your effort is another matter :)
>
> Yes, I could do a lot of parsing, but I don't think it is worth the
> effort.

Agreed

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-06-06 12:41               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-06 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 6, 2007, at 14:18, William Henney wrote:

> Hi Carsten
>
> On 6/6/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> No, when starting a new list level, the bullet character should be
>> under the left margin of the text of the upper llevel, i.e.
>> 2 characters indented.
>
> That's not how it works for me. For instance, org-metaright indents by
> one extra character, not two. Same in lists as with headings. Perhaps,
> you are you thinking of the case with org-odd-levels-only set to t.

Yes, the demotion commands shift only by one character at a time, you
need to press them several times to get the indentation shift you
want.

However, your question was about TAB, and that works as I described.

- Carsten