* Org-mode for school work
@ 2011-12-21  5:31 Steve Prud'Homme
From: Steve Prud'Homme @ 2011-12-21  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I realy like the org-mode. I use it for my school work. I have a questions
about litle things like :

1. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf to make a title page
verticaly centered.

2. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to do a
page brake after the table of content

3. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible give the
text a interline of 1.5 for certain part of the text.

4. When i make table i use table - create (ex: 7x3). It is possible to
merge cell like in word(example first row 1 colomn second row 4 column)

5. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to set the
font size

6. Finaly it is possible to make a table that i use a lot a form that i can
fill and it is possible with i don't know a short-cut or something to call
this form when i need it.

Please excuse my english, i'm french

--
Posté par Steve Prud'Homme
sprudhom@gmail.com

* Re: Org-mode for school work
@ 2011-12-21  9:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-21  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Prud'Homme; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steve,

"Steve Prud'Homme" <sprudhom@gmail.com> writes:

> I realy like the org-mode. I use it for my school work. I have a
> questions about litle things like :
>
> 1. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf to make a title
> page verticaly centered.

This depends on the LaTeX class you use -- from memory, the class
"report" dedicates one page to the title page, and centers the title
vertically (or somewhat close.)

> 2. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to
> do a page brake after the table of content

Just use \pagebreak in your Org file.

> 3. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible give
> the text a interline of 1.5 for certain part of the text.

#+LaTeX: \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.5}

before the part you want to modify, and

#+LaTeX: \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1}

to go back to a normal interline after this part.

> 4. When i make table i use table - create (ex: 7x3). It is possible
> to merge cell like in word(example first row 1 colomn second row 4
> column)

No.

> 5. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to
> set the font size

Yes - customize `org-export-latex-classes' to your needs, adding
\documentclass[11pt]{article} where it makes sense.

> 6. Finaly it is possible to make a table that i use a lot a form that
> i can fill and it is possible with i don't know a short-cut or
> something to call this form when i need it.

It's not currently possible, but we can imagine a helper function for
that.  For now I would suggest: just store the empty table in a register:
select the table, `C-x r s', then `C-x r i' when you want to insert the
empty table again.

> Please excuse my english, i'm french

J'ai réussi à comprendre à peu près :)

HTH!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org-mode for school work
@ 2011-12-21 10:00   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-12-21 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Steve Prud'Homme

> 6. Finaly it is possible to make a table that i use a lot a form that
>>  i can fill and it is possible with i don't know a short-cut or
>>  something to call this form when i need it.

Depending on what exactly you have in mind, Org Capture might be the
answer.

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Org-mode for school work
@ 2011-12-21 13:54     ` Steve Prud'Homme
From: Steve Prud'Homme @ 2011-12-21 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

2011/12/21 Bastien <bzg@altern.org>

> Hi Steve,
>
> "Steve Prud'Homme" <sprudhom@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I realy like the org-mode. I use it for my school work. I have a
> > questions about litle things like :
> >
> > 1. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf to make a title
> > page verticaly centered.
>
> This depends on the LaTeX class you use -- from memory, the class
> "report" dedicates one page to the title page, and centers the title
> vertically (or somewhat close.)
>
> > 2. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to
> > do a page brake after the table of content
>
> OK but where in the org file to put the pagebreake after the table of
content. When I put the pagebreake in the beginning of the org-file i have
a blank page in the begening of my document.

> Just use \pagebreak in your Org file.
>
> > 3. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible give
> > the text a interline of 1.5 for certain part of the text.
>
> #+LaTeX: \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.5}
>
> before the part you want to modify, and
>
> #+LaTeX: \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1}
>
> to go back to a normal interline after this part.

Cool but it apply on title, not on regular paragraph text

> > 4. When i make table i use table - create (ex: 7x3). It is possible
> > to merge cell like in word(example first row 1 colomn second row 4
> > column)
>
> No.

Yes, finaly i found a cool video about this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3cOypPhDI

> > 5. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to
> > set the font size
>
> Yes - customize `org-export-latex-classes' to your needs, adding
> \documentclass[11pt]{article} where it makes sense.

It is posible to do that but only when i need it... like the interline.

> > 6. Finaly it is possible to make a table that i use a lot a form that
> > i can fill and it is possible with i don't know a short-cut or
> > something to call this form when i need it.
>
> It's not currently possible, but we can imagine a helper function for
> that.  For now I would suggest: just store the empty table in a register:
> select the table, `C-x r s', then `C-x r i' when you want to insert the
> empty table again.
>
> > Please excuse my english, i'm french
>
> J'ai réussi à comprendre à peu près :)

Ah bein tabarouette !

HTH!

* Re: Org-mode for school work
@ 2011-12-21 16:30 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Prud'Homme; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Steve Prud'Homme <sprudhom@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I realy like the org-mode. I use it for my school work. I have a questions about litle things like :
>
> 1. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf to make a title page verticaly centered.
>
> 2. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to do a page brake after the table
> of content
>
> 3. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible give the text a interline of 1.5 for
> certain part of the text.
>
> 4. When i make table i use table - create (ex: 7x3). It is possible to merge cell like in word
> (example first row 1 colomn second row 4 column)
>
> 5. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to set the font size
>
> 6. Finaly it is possible to make a table that i use a lot a form that i can fill and it is possible
> with i don't know a short-cut or something to call this form when i need it.

1., 2., 3. and 5. are really LaTeX questions. Both 1. and 2. can be obtained by using
the appropriate LaTeX class, e.g.

#+LaTeX_CLASS: report

at the top of your document will give you a dedicated title page, vertically centered,
and a dedicated TOC with a page break afterwards. But it will also give you Parts and
Chapters, in addition to Sections, etc. which may not be what you want. You can
certainly customize all of that in LaTeX, but I suspect that it's going to be a fair
amount of work.

You can change the font size of the text globally by adding something like:

#+LaTeX: \huge

at the top of your file. This will only take effect after the TOC however, and it
will not affect the font size of headings, IIUC. You can also wrap a portion of the
text like this:

#+LaTeX: {\huge
some text
#+LaTeX: }

to make font size changes locally.

You can also change the interline spacing, (see e.g. p. 136 of the french version
of "A not-so-short introduction to LaTeX" by Tobias Oetiker

    http://mirror.math.ku.edu/tex-archive/info/lshort/french/lshort-fr.pdf

) by changing \baselineskip appropriately.

I don't understand 4. - it might be a good idea for you to provide an example
of what you want.

There are various ways to accomplish 6. : you can put the template in a file,
define a function to insert the file and bind it to a key, you can define a macro
or a function that inserts what you want, you can use any of the abbrev/template
systems that emacs provides...

Here is a bare-bones implementation of the first idea: you have a file

     /home/stevep/lib/org/templates/my-favorite-table.org

with the table template in it.

You define a function (put this stuff in your .emacs):

    (defun stevep-org-insert-my-favorite-table-template ()
       (interactive)
       (insert-file "/home/stevep/lib/org/templates/my-favorite-table.org"))

and you bind it to function-key F4 (probably not a good idea, but this is just
an example):

    (define-key global-map [f4] 'stevep-org-insert-my-favorite-table-template)

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Org-mode for school work
@ 2011-12-21 17:01       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-21 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Prud'Homme; +Cc: Bastien, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, mail

Steve Prud'Homme <sprudhom@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/12/21 Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
>
>     Hi Steve,
>
>     "Steve Prud'Homme" <sprudhom@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > I realy like the org-mode. I use it for my school work. I have a
>     > questions about litle things like :
>     >
>     > 1. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf to make a title
>     > page verticaly centered.
>
>     This depends on the LaTeX class you use -- from memory, the class
>     "report" dedicates one page to the title page, and centers the title
>     vertically (or somewhat close.)
>
>     > 2. It is possible when i export a org file in pdf It is possible to
>     > do a page brake after the table of content
>
>     Just use \pagebreak in your Org file.
>
> OK but where in the org file to put the pagebreake after the table of content. When I put the
> pagebreake in the beginning of the org-file i have a blank page in the begening of my document.

Maybe \newpage works better?

Nick