* `fill-paragraph' on headings
@ 2017-10-25 18:03 Tor
From: Tor @ 2017-10-25 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

this is a feature request for having the ability to use `fill-paragraph' on headings.  An example from Emacs news:

'*** New variable 'xterm-set-window-title' controls whether Emacs sets the XTerm window title. The default is to set the window title.'

-> '*** New variable 'xterm-set-window-title' controls whether Emacs
sets the XTerm window title.  The default is to set the window title.

* Re: `fill-paragraph' on headings
@ 2017-10-26  8:50 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-10-26  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 25 Oct 2017 at 14:03, Tor wrote:
> this is a feature request for having the ability to use
> `fill-paragraph' on headings.  An example from Emacs news:

Semantically, this makes no sense?  How would org know that the line
that follows a headline is part of the headline or not part of the
headline?

I appreciate that your example from Emacs news in that it mis-uses
(abuses) outline headlines...

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.2-117-g5b2b8f

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: `fill-paragraph' on headings
@ 2017-10-26 17:53   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2017-10-26 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I don't know anything about this, but there are certain times when I have
liked to use \paragraph{   } in generating a document.  The first part of
the paragraph is emboldened, but it's still a paragraph.  I stumbled over
this idea when I first encountered Org-Mode, and never was satisfied with
the answer that it's not possible to wrap a headline.  On the other hand, I
do understand that concept and a little bit about why it isn't ordinarily a
great idea.  We are not talking about exporting though, and it's entirely
possible that this is possible to do when exporting.

FWIW.

Alan Davis

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 1:50 AM, Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 25 Oct 2017 at 14:03, Tor wrote:
> > this is a feature request for having the ability to use
> > `fill-paragraph' on headings.  An example from Emacs news:
>
> Semantically, this makes no sense?  How would org know that the line
> that follows a headline is part of the headline or not part of the
> headline?
>
> I appreciate that your example from Emacs news in that it mis-uses
> (abuses) outline headlines...
>
> --
> : Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.2-117-g5b2b8f

--
[Fill in the blanks]

The use of corrupt manipulations and blatant rhetorical ploys ...---
outright lying, flagwaving, personal attacks, setting up phony
alternatives, misdirection, jargon-mongering, evading key issues, feigning
disinterested objectivity, willful misunderstanding of other points of
view---suggests that ... lacks both credibility and evidence.

             ---- Edward Tufte (in context of making presentations)

* Re: `fill-paragraph' on headings
@ 2017-10-27  7:00     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-10-27  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Tor

On Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 at 10:53, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> I don't know anything about this, but there are certain times when I have
> liked to use \paragraph{   } in generating a document.  The first part of

For me, 4th level headings correspond to \paragraph on export to
LaTeX/PDF:

  (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
               '("article" "\\documentclass{scrartcl}"
                 ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
                 ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
                 ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
                 ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
                 ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}")))

but I'm not sure what this has to do with headline wrapping?  For
\paragraph, you have only part of the paragraph in bold, the part within
the {}.

--

@ 2017-10-28 16:33   ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-10-28 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 2017-10-26 09:50 +01, Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 Oct 2017 at 14:03, Tor wrote:
>> this is a feature request for having the ability to use
>> `fill-paragraph' on headings.  An example from Emacs news:
>
> Semantically, this makes no sense?  How would org know that the line
> that follows a headline is part of the headline or not part of the
> headline?

Sometimes the headline can get too long, and it may be nice to be able
to hard-wrap it.  I believe it'd be possible to use the double-backslash
syntax for marking continuation lines:

    * Nullam eu ante vel est convallis dignissim.  Fusce suscipit, wisi\\
      nec facilisis facilisis, est dui fermentum leo, quis tempor ligula\\
      erat quis odio.
    Nunc porta vulputate tellus.  Nunc rutrum turpis sed pede.

though using word-wrapping to similar effect would probably be
better. (FWIW I'm the one who suggested this on the reddit thread too).

Best.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp	<http://www.gkayaalp.com/>
			 024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC