* orgmode beamer mode: BMCO does not export to latex any longer
@ 2018-02-14  9:39 Martin Steffen
From: Martin Steffen @ 2018-02-14  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

since recently I have a problem with exporting org-beamer-mode, the
culprit presumably

                 BMCOL

It's org, in beamer mode. The mode still allows to turn some headers
into BMCOL (multiple colums) via some keybindings

        ``C-c C-b |'' (representing org-beamer-select-environment "|")

That results in lines like
*** Some text                                                 :B_block:BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :END:

which is supposed to  be a block taking 50% of the slide's width.

So far so good (and as it used to be).

Now, when /exporting/ the org-document to latex with

         C-c C-e l b (l for latex, b for beamer-class)

the export peocedure trips over some error and

               nothing is exported

(the same occurs if I directly want to generated the PDF, and also if I
export the beamer-org document to a ``arcticle''-kind of style, so to
have a script). The message for the error reads like

[...]
org-babel-exp process tac at position 108835...
org-babel-exp process tac at position 109478...
org-beamer--format-block: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil

It seems that the BMCOL is the culprit, org-beamer still export a
complicated and long document (as it did before), but probably a recent
update made it stumble over that particular element.

Any suggestion where to look?

thanks, Martin

PS: org-version="9.1.6"
    emacs-version: GNU Emacs 24.3.1

* Re: orgmode beamer mode: BMCO does not export to latex any longer
@ 2018-02-14 10:08 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-02-14 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Steffen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 10:39, Martin Steffen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since recently I have a problem with exporting org-beamer-mode, the
> culprit presumably

[...]

> It seems that the BMCOL is the culprit, org-beamer still export a
> complicated and long document (as it did before), but probably a recent
> update made it stumble over that particular element.

Works fine for me with org up to date from git.
Not sure what to suggest.  What happens with emacs -Q and loading in org
with no customizations?

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.6-118-g134243

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: orgmode beamer mode: BMCO does not export to latex any longer
@ 2018-02-14 10:24   ` Martin Steffen
  2018-02-19 14:38     ` orgmode beamer mode: BMCO does not export to latex any longer: ===> suspect identified: (ox-extras-activate '(ignore-headlines)) Martin Steffen
From: Martin Steffen @ 2018-02-14 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Eric S Fraga

Thanks a lot, it may be that my emacs suffers some ``package-overload'',
i.e., maybe it's due to an interference with some other lisp stuff I
load.

 I just wanted to hear if it's known to be a current glitch of the
 export-beamer thing, before I try to drill down (especially since the
 priority is to make he slides compile again rather than
 trouble-shooting..... [I just escape to native-latex for multi-cols for
 now]

When done with the presentation, I will try to narrow it down, cutting
down also on the amount of slides (because currently is a long and
complex thing, which I cannot expect others to trawls for abnormalitiees
;-)

Martin

    Eric> On Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 10:39, Martin Steffen wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> since recently I have a problem with exporting org-beamer-mode,
    >> the culprit presumably

    Eric> [...]

    >> It seems that the BMCOL is the culprit, org-beamer still export a
    >> complicated and long document (as it did before), but probably a
    >> recent update made it stumble over that particular element.

    Eric> Works fine for me with org up to date from git.  Not sure what
    Eric> to suggest.  What happens with emacs -Q and loading in org
    Eric> with no customizations?

    Eric> -- Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org
    Eric> release_9.1.6-118-g134243

* Re: orgmode beamer mode: BMCO does not export to latex any longer: ===> suspect identified: (ox-extras-activate '(ignore-headlines))
@ 2018-02-19 14:38     ` Martin Steffen
From: Martin Steffen @ 2018-02-19 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Eric S Fraga

Hi,

one week ago I reported that export to latex/beamer refuses to export,
and the reason where it did not do it was, according to my email

                    BMCOL

(slides that contained that derailed the export terminally).

In the meantime, I found one line that, when removed, solves the
problem. In that sense, one might say, it's not BMCOL which is the
problem but the the combination. The problematic ``feature interaction''
is with the package

                   (require 'ox-extra)

which in itself does not cause the damage, but if I add

                   (ox-extras-activate '(ignore-headlines))

then that kills the export.  Note: there had been a time when that still
worked.

PS: I tested it on the very latest git-pull (org-mode-version 9.1.6) and
emacs-24.3.1 (but I had similar problems for emacs-25, only that I did
not veryfy that it's the same line with ``ox-extra'' that causes the
trouble, but it's more than plausible).