* [babel] python sessions
@ 2011-07-03 12:18 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-07-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org mode

I wanted to use sessions in python to do some nice literate programming
and splitting functions, but it doesn't work as expected.

Here below a very simple example in python and ruby, where in ruby
everything seems to work well while in python it doesn't...
And by the way, what is that org_babel_python_eoe? I can't find it
documented anywhere in the manual...

I've read some time ago that python support for babel was a bit tricky,
are there workarounds to make it work anyway?

Or could you explain briefly what the problem is so that I can try to
contribute as soon as I finish this thing?

Thanks a lot,
Andrea

#+begin_src python :session
  def var(x):
      return float(x ** 2)

#+end_src

#+results:
: org_babel_python_eoe

#+begin_src python :session
  def var2(x):
      return x ** 2 * var(x)

  var2(10)
#+end_src

#+results:
: org_babel_python_eoe

#+begin_src ruby :session
  def fun(x)
    x + 2
  end
#+end_src

#+results:
: nil

#+begin_src ruby :session
  def fun2(x)
    x + fun(x)
  end

  fun2 10
#+end_src

#+results:
: 22

* Re: [babel] python sessions
@ 2011-07-03 15:15 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-07-03 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: Org mode

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I wanted to use sessions in python to do some nice literate programming
> and splitting functions, but it doesn't work as expected.
>
> Here below a very simple example in python and ruby, where in ruby
> everything seems to work well while in python it doesn't...
> And by the way, what is that org_babel_python_eoe? I can't find it
> documented anywhere in the manual...

This string is used by Babel to indicate when to stop waiting for output
form the interactive python process and return control to the user.

> I've read some time ago that python support for babel was a bit tricky,
> are there workarounds to make it work anyway?

This is true, in addition to being a language which is dependent upon
whitespace characters, python has been tricky due to the many
independent inferior python modes (python.el, python-mode.el, etc...)
and to the fact that I personally and not very familiar with the
language.

I've just pushed up a patch which should improve upon the python session
behavior.  After this patch your example returns the following
results...

#+begin_src python :session :results silent
  def var(x):
      return float(x ** 2)
#+end_src

#+begin_src python :session :result value
  def var2(x):
      return x ** 2 * var(x)

  var2(10)
#+end_src

#+results:
: 10000.0

Please let me know if you notice any other problematic behavior.

Thanks -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] python sessions
@ 2011-07-03 16:51   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-07-03 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org mode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> This is true, in addition to being a language which is dependent upon
> whitespace characters, python has been tricky due to the many
> independent inferior python modes (python.el, python-mode.el, etc...)
> and to the fact that I personally and not very familiar with the
> language.

That is indeed a problem (also in cedet for example) and I really would
like to have just one and working well python mode, not a thousand..

> I've just pushed up a patch which should improve upon the python session
> behavior.  After this patch your example returns the following
> results...
>
> #+begin_src python :session :results silent
>   def var(x):
>       return float(x ** 2)
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src python :session :result value
>   def var2(x):
>       return x ** 2 * var(x)
>
>   var2(10)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : 10000.0

That example now works like a charm
But here still I get that string, but if I tangle the file I get the
correct result, any idea?

#+begin_src python :session :tangle myset.py :results silent
  class MySetList(object):

      def __init__(self):
          self._set = []

      def add(self, el):
          if el not in self._set:
              self._set.append(el)

      # implementation of other typical set functions
#+end_src

#+begin_src python :session :tangle myset.py :results silent
  class MySetDict(object):

      def __init__(self):
          self._dic = {}

      def add(self, el):
          if el not in self._dic:
              # we only care about the keys
              self._dic[el] = None
#+end_src

#+begin_src python :session :tangle myset.py :results silent
  class MySetSet(object):
      def __init__(self):
          self._set = set()

      def add(self, el):
          self._set.add(el)
#+end_src

#+begin_src python :session :exports both :tangle myset.py
  import timeit
  import random

  NUM_ELS = 100

  def add_many_to_set(set_type):
      m = set_type()
      for i in range(NUM_ELS):
          m.add(i)

  def test_impl(set_type):
      to_import = """
  from __main__ import add_many_to_set
  from __main__ import %s"""

      name = set_type.__name__
      print("testing %s" % name)
      return timeit.timeit("add_many_to_set(%s)" % name,
                           setup=(to_import % name))

  test_impl(MySetList), test_impl(MySetDict), test_impl(MySetSet)

#+end_src

* Re: [babel] python sessions
@ 2011-07-03 18:13     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-07-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: Org mode

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> This is true, in addition to being a language which is dependent upon
>> whitespace characters, python has been tricky due to the many
>> independent inferior python modes (python.el, python-mode.el, etc...)
>> and to the fact that I personally and not very familiar with the
>> language.
>
> That is indeed a problem (also in cedet for example) and I really would
> like to have just one and working well python mode, not a thousand..

From what I hear the situation should improve in Emacs24, as there is a
ground up re-write which should contain much of the functionality of
python-mode.el with the Emacs-amenable license of python.el.

>> I've just pushed up a patch which should improve upon the python session
>> behavior.  After this patch your example returns the following
>> results...
>>
>> #+begin_src python :session :results silent
>>   def var(x):
>>       return float(x ** 2)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+begin_src python :session :result value
>>   def var2(x):
>>       return x ** 2 * var(x)
>>
>>   var2(10)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> : 10000.0
>>

> That example now works like a charm
> But here still I get that string, but if I tangle the file I get the
> correct result, any idea?

The eoe string will only even appear in session output when there is no
other result returned by the code block.  I've just pushed up a small
change which should fix this situation.

The eoe will never appear in tangled code as it is part of the
interactive session evaluation.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] python sessions
@ 2011-07-03 18:54       ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-07-03 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org mode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> From what I hear the situation should improve in Emacs24, as there is a
> ground up re-write which should contain much of the functionality of
> python-mode.el with the Emacs-amenable license of python.el.

Nice to know, I use python-mode.el and emacs24, but I would vote for a
merge :)

> The eoe string will only even appear in session output when there is no
> other result returned by the code block.  I've just pushed up a small
> change which should fix this situation.
>
> The eoe will never appear in tangled code as it is part of the
> interactive session evaluation.
>
> Best -- Eric

I think the last patch created some problems, now it often (but not
always and I can't get why) when I execute the source block, and still I
can't make it work the previous example that I posted...

Thanks,
Andrea

* Re: [babel] python sessions
@ 2011-07-04 17:23         ` Eric Schulte