* Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
@ 2023-08-16 13:19 Kaiyu Zheng
From: Kaiyu Zheng @ 2023-08-16 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Org-mode maintainers,

Org-mode has been fantastic. However, in the most recent release as
part of emacs 29.1, I am experiencing an inconvenience that made me
switch back to 28.3.  (I learned from this page
https://irreal.org/blog/?p=10982 that emacs 29.1 released org-mode
9.6).

The issue is: let's say I have a simple org-mode file, and let's say
the cursor starts at the top of the file (marked by '|'):

|* Sec1
** SubSec1
** SubSec2

In 28.3 and before, when I do `M->`, and hit 'Enter', I get to the end
of file on a new line outside of SubSec2, like so:

* Sec1
** SubSec1
** SubSec2

And now I could type `** SubSec3` to add a new section like below:

* Sec1
** SubSec1
** SubSec2
** SubSec3|

But in 29.1, when I do the same sequence, the cursor is "trapped" in
SubSec2, and I had to expand SubSec2 first in order to see what I'm
typing. I don't like this behavior -- I wonder why it is this way in
the new version. How is this better? Could we revert back?

Now, you could argue that I should type in the keybinding for
inserting the subsection instead of doing this manually. But I simply
don't remember (and never tried remembering) the keybinding for adding
a new section -- I don't think I'm wrong by not remembering that
keybinding. I was able to do what I wanted before in a simple and
natural way.

I hope my concern is valid.

Best,
Kaiyu

* Re: Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
@ 2023-08-18 15:54 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-18 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaiyu Zheng; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kaiyu Zheng <kaiyu_zheng@alumni.brown.edu> writes:

> In 28.3 and before, when I do `M->`, and hit 'Enter', I get to the end
> of file on a new line outside of SubSec2, like so:
>
> * Sec1
> ** SubSec1
> ** SubSec2
> |

> And now I could type `** SubSec3` to add a new section like below:
>
> * Sec1
> ** SubSec1
> ** SubSec2
> ** SubSec3|
>
> But in 29.1, when I do the same sequence, the cursor is "trapped" in
> SubSec2, and I had to expand SubSec2 first in order to see what I'm
> typing. I don't like this behavior -- I wonder why it is this way in
> the new version. How is this better? Could we revert back?

You can try some other key that is not enter. For example, <SPC>.
'Enter' should work on main, the development branch.

I will see what can be done on stable Org version.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
@ 2023-08-19  3:26 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-08-19  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 16/08/2023 20:19, Kaiyu Zheng wrote:
> The issue is: let's say I have a simple org-mode file, and let's say
> the cursor starts at the top of the file (marked by '|'):
>
> |* Sec1
> ** SubSec1
> ** SubSec2

A similar, but not so severe change in comparison to 9.5:

puts it to the same level as SubSec2, it is my usual way to append a
subheading), but Org>=9.6 adds ellipsis after cursor. When some content
is pasted from clipboard, it appears folded.

Complete example:
---- 8< ----
#+startup: content
* Sec1
** SubSec1

text

** SubSec2

text

* Re: Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
@ 2023-08-19  7:28   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-19  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaiyu Zheng; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> You can try some other key that is not enter. For example, <SPC>.
> 'Enter' should work on main, the development branch.
>
> I will see what can be done on stable Org version.

Fixed, on bugfix. (no bug exists on main)
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=a25d00d5d

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
@ 2023-08-19  7:55   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-19  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> A similar, but not so severe change in comparison to 9.5:

> puts it to the same level as SubSec2, it is my usual way to append a
> subheading), but Org>=9.6 adds ellipsis after cursor. When some content
> is pasted from clipboard, it appears folded.

Thanks! I saw this issue from time to time and heard reports about it.
But did not have a reproducer.
Fixed, on bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=52bc95676

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
@ 2023-08-20  2:41     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-08-20  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 19/08/2023 14:55, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:

>> puts it to the same level as SubSec2, it is my usual way to append a
>> subheading), but Org>=9.6 adds ellipsis after cursor. When some content
>> is pasted from clipboard, it appears folded.
>
> Thanks! I saw this issue from time to time and heard reports about it.
> But did not have a reproducer.
> Fixed, on bugfix.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=52bc95676

Ihor, I have tried "main" and I confirm that at the end of file behavior
has become better. Unfortunately newline is not added in the case of an
intermediate headings

|* Sec1
** SubSec1
** SubSec2
* Sec2

C-RET

* Sec1
** SubSec1
** SubSec2
* |* Sec2

* Re: Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
@ 2023-08-20  6:32       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-20  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Fixed, on bugfix.
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=52bc95676
>
> Ihor, I have tried "main" and I confirm that at the end of file behavior
> has become better. Unfortunately newline is not added in the case of an
> intermediate headings
> * Sec1
> ** SubSec1
> ** SubSec2
> * |* Sec2

Wonderful... an no single test has failed.
Fixed the fix, on bugfix, adding a test for this.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=7b38670e6

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
@ 2023-08-20 16:17         ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-08-20 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 20/08/2023 13:32, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> * Sec1
>> ** SubSec1
>> ** SubSec2
>> * |* Sec2
>
> Wonderful... an no single test has failed.
> Fixed the fix, on bugfix, adding a test for this.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=7b38670e6

Thank you, Ihor. It seems you have fixed the issue.