* Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
@ 2016-08-22 14:55 Eric S Fraga
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-08-22 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I am asking a n00b question here: what the is best way to get org (+
emacs obviously) on an MS Windows 7 pro system for use by more than one
user on the system (multiple accounts with users not having
Administrator accounts)?  I don't need bleeding edge versions of either
org or emacs but hopefully something relatively up to date.

The few times I have had to use a Windows system (luckily very seldom
;-), I have simply installed cygwin and gone from there.  This is not a
viable solution in this case due to the users concerned.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476

* Re: Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
@ 2016-08-22 22:13 ` John Kitchin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-08-22 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Checkout http://github.com/jkitchin/scimax. With git installed it will
install an opinionatedly configured Emacs. Most of my students use it. I
would just have each user install it.

--
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
@ 2016-08-23  1:34 ` Grant Rettke
       [not found] ` <b31cb56e9d4b4299a920ad78ac165d50@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
       [not found] ` <624522332984433fa3e4d5e9d325db31@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Grant Rettke @ 2016-08-23  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found Cygwin to make things more difficult for Emacs so I installed
the plain old Windows Emacs and did the following:

https://github.com/grettke/help/blob/master/help.md#windows

https://www.wisdomandwonder.com/article/5647/enabling-png-jpg-and-gif-in-emacs-on-windows

I got Org from Git did the setup as described

https://github.com/grettke/help/blob/master/help.md#help-enables-literate-programming

And then everything else "just worked".
Sincerely,

Grant Rettke

@ 2016-08-23  8:22   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-08-23  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 22:13, John Kitchin wrote:
> Checkout http://github.com/jkitchin/scimax. With git installed it will
> install an opinionatedly configured Emacs. Most of my students use
> it. I would just have each user install it.

Okay, thanks.  I'll give your scimax a try.  The main thing I am taking
way from this, in any case, is to have each user install their own
version.  This is where my doubts were mostly.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa

* Re: Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
       [not found] ` <624522332984433fa3e4d5e9d325db31@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-08-23  8:24   ` Eric S Fraga
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-08-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 23 Aug 2016 at 01:34, Grant Rettke wrote:
> I found Cygwin to make things more difficult for Emacs so I installed
> the plain old Windows Emacs and did the following:
>
> https://github.com/grettke/help/blob/master/help.md#windows

Thanks.  I'll check this out.

If I ever have to use a Windows system at all, I want bash & emacs and
cygwin makes it very easy (for me).

--

@ 2016-08-23  9:21     ` Fabrice Popineau
       [not found]     ` <d9cd3b2de19546a091a74795e76fa118@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2016-08-23  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tuesday, 23 Aug 2016 at 01:34, Grant Rettke wrote:
> > I found Cygwin to make things more difficult for Emacs so I installed
> > the plain old Windows Emacs and did the following:
> >
> > https://github.com/grettke/help/blob/master/help.md#windows
>
> Thanks.  I'll check this out.
>
> If I ever have to use a Windows system at all, I want bash & emacs and
> cygwin makes it very easy (for me).

I always found Cygwin to be a PIA when working under  Windows.
I vastly prefer to use msys2+mingw64. Emacs 25 compiles out of the box
as a native w64 app and you get bash + all the tools you may want.
My $0.02

Fabrice

* Re: Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
       [not found]     ` <d9cd3b2de19546a091a74795e76fa118@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-08-23 10:00       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-08-23 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 23 Aug 2016 at 09:21, Fabrice Popineau wrote:
> I always found Cygwin to be a PIA when working under  Windows.
> I vastly prefer to use msys2+mingw64. Emacs 25 compiles out of the box
> as a native w64 app and you get bash + all the tools you may want.
> My $0.02

Thanks.

I guess, if I had to use cygwin a lot, I might find it to be less than
satisfactory.  Luckily, my use is very limited and is for very sporadic
use.  The advantage of cygwin is I only have to run a single setup
program, click the select box for the various tools, hit install and I'm
done!

I have been 99.999% Linux since 1992... (0.99pl12 Slackware version ;-)
with Solaris, BSD Unix and Unix V7 before that.  All I care about is
having bash+emacs with basic org in case I need to use Windows for some
reason!

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.4-655-g9fb077

* Re: Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
@ 2016-08-23 10:38       ` Bill Burdick
From: Bill Burdick @ 2016-08-23 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fabrice.popineau, Eric S Fraga, Grant Rettke,
	Emacs Org mode mailing list

I switched from Cygwin to Msys2 a year or two ago and it's been very good.
The pacman-based package management is very good.  The only thing to watch
out for is that there are actually 2 gcc suites and if you want to build
automake projects (like many open source projects), you'll want to be using
the Mingw gcc and NOT the Msys gcc.  ConEmu is a great terminal program to
use in conjunction with Msys2

 I also recommend opinionated Emacs distros.  I used to use Prelude but
I've been using Spacemacs (in Emacs mode) for quite a while, now.  I like
Spacemacs because your loaded packages are explicitly in your .spacemacs
file and it's easy to reconstruct which packages you have loaded from that.

-- Bill

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:25 PM Fabrice Popineau <
fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> wrote:

>> On Tuesday, 23 Aug 2016 at 01:34, Grant Rettke wrote:
>> > I found Cygwin to make things more difficult for Emacs so I installed
>> > the plain old Windows Emacs and did the following:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/grettke/help/blob/master/help.md#windows
>>
>> Thanks.  I'll check this out.
>>
>> If I ever have to use a Windows system at all, I want bash & emacs and
>> cygwin makes it very easy (for me).
>

> I always found Cygwin to be a PIA when working under  Windows.
> I vastly prefer to use msys2+mingw64. Emacs 25 compiles out of the box
> as a native w64 app and you get bash + all the tools you may want.
> My $0.02
>
> Fabrice

* Re: Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
       [not found]     ` <d9cd3b2de19546a091a74795e76fa118@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-08-23 13:12     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-08-23 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I find the git bash shell adequate for most of my needs. I haven't used
cygwin in many years.

@ 2016-08-23 16:19   ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2016-08-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 23.08.2016 um 00:13 schrieb John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>:
>
> Checkout http://github.com/jkitchin/scimax. With git installed it will install an opinionatedly configured Emacs. Most of my students use it. I would just have each user install it.

I’m using a modified jmax right now.
Should I switch to scimax?
Anything I should look out for?

Can I simply move my user folder and continue?

I’m using org-master at home and org-with-contrib on Windows at work.

Axel

* Re: Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
@ 2016-08-23 18:06     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-08-23 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Axel Kielhorn writes:

>> Am 23.08.2016 um 00:13 schrieb John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>:
>>
>> Checkout http://github.com/jkitchin/scimax. With git installed it will install an opinionatedly configured Emacs. Most of my students use it. I would just have each user install it.
>
> I’m using a modified jmax right now.
> Should I switch to scimax?
> Anything I should look out for?

They are largely the same. The scimax repo does not have emacs in it
anymore, so it is a lot smaller. scimax tends to use ivy more than helm
for completion. scimax uses use-package for the most part to install
packages, but I think most of the functionality is the same though.

The good news is, jmax is finally stable ;)

> Can I simply move my user folder and continue?

Probably this should work.

--

@ 2016-08-23 18:53       ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2016-08-23 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 23.08.2016 um 20:06 schrieb John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>:
>

> Axel Kielhorn writes:
>
>>> Am 23.08.2016 um 00:13 schrieb John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>:
>>>
>>> Checkout http://github.com/jkitchin/scimax. With git installed it will install an opinionatedly configured Emacs. Most of my students use it. I would just have each user install it.
>>
>> I’m using a modified jmax right now.
>> Should I switch to scimax?
>> Anything I should look out for?
>>

> They are largely the same. The scimax repo does not have emacs in it
> anymore,

That is good (don’t need it on non-Windows platforms) and bad (Now I have to get one for windows from somewhere else, maybe jmax?.)

> so it is a lot smaller. scimax tends to use ivy more than helm
> for completion.

All these different completion packages irritate me.
I’m using some helm, let’s see how it works with ivy.
(Luckily I have two 24“ monitors, a lot of room to place notes to remind me of new commands.[1])

> scimax uses use-package for the most part to install
> packages, but I think most of the functionality is the same though.
>
> The good news is, jmax is finally stable ;)

I’m an org user, I love moving targets:-)

>> Can I simply move my user folder and continue?
>
> Probably this should work.

I’ll give it a try[2].

Axel

[1] Note to self: Buy some 3M stock.
[2] Another automator icon on the desktop.

* Re: Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
@ 2016-08-23 19:07         ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-08-23 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)