* Bug in Agenda mode?
@ 2010-04-29 14:51 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-29 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I do a C-a a, I see my weekly agenda, starting 'today'.

Then I can hit 'd', and see today laid out better.   Back to 'w', and I
see the weekly agenda again.

I can scroll down to tomorrow, hit 'd', and see tomorrow.  But when I
hit 'w', I'm back to the week view, but now it starts on tomorrow, and
not today.

And if I scroll down two days, and hit 'd', then 'w' to come back to the
week view, I'm misplaced forward 2 days.

Is this a bug, or 'just the way it works'.  I'd never noticed before,
but I don't think I had actually tried that.

I'm using the (release_6.34c.149.gf0f5.dirty) version of org.

* Re: Bug in Agenda mode?
@ 2010-04-29 15:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-29 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 29, 2010, at 4:51 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:

> If I do a C-a a, I see my weekly agenda, starting 'today'.
>
> Then I can hit 'd', and see today laid out better.   Back to 'w',
> and I
> see the weekly agenda again.
>
> I can scroll down to tomorrow, hit 'd', and see tomorrow.  But when I
> hit 'w', I'm back to the week view, but now it starts on tomorrow, and
> not today.
>
> And if I scroll down two days, and hit 'd', then 'w' to come back to
> the
> week view, I'm misplaced forward 2 days.
>
> Is this a bug, or 'just the way it works'.  I'd never noticed before,
> but I don't think I had actually tried that.

looks like you have set org-agenda-start-on-weekday to nil.  The is
works like you describe.  If you set it to a number, the week will
always start on that day.

The problem is that, if you are still in the current week, it might
make sense to have the week start at today when you switch back to
week view.  But when you are further away from today, the week view
must be constructed in a way that the day which was last shown in day
view is also shown.  Since you have opted to have your week view start
at whatever weekday is today, Org assumes now that you want a week
starting on the last shown day.

Hmmmm.

I am not sure what would be best here.

- Carsten

@ 2010-04-29 16:52   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-29 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 4:51 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>

>> If I do a C-a a, I see my weekly agenda, starting 'today'.
>>
>> Then I can hit 'd', and see today laid out better.   Back to 'w',
>> and I
>> see the weekly agenda again.
>>
>> I can scroll down to tomorrow, hit 'd', and see tomorrow.  But when I
>> hit 'w', I'm back to the week view, but now it starts on tomorrow, and
>> not today.
>>
>> And if I scroll down two days, and hit 'd', then 'w' to come back to
>> the
>> week view, I'm misplaced forward 2 days.
>>
>> Is this a bug, or 'just the way it works'.  I'd never noticed before,
>> but I don't think I had actually tried that.
>
> looks like you have set org-agenda-start-on-weekday to nil.  The is
> works like you describe.  If you set it to a number, the week will
> always start on that day.
>
> The problem is that, if you are still in the current week, it might
> make sense to have the week start at today when you switch back to
> week view.  But when you are further away from today, the week view
> must be constructed in a way that the day which was last shown in day
> view is also shown.  Since you have opted to have your week view start
> at whatever weekday is today, Org assumes now that you want a week
> starting on the last shown day.
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> I am not sure what would be best here.
>
> - Carsten

I can live with that.   I only set the agenda to start from the current
day because I didn't really care about seeing days that had already gone
by.

I think what surprised me the most was that, once I went to a specific
day, and then back to week mode, and I started on a different day, was
that I couldn't reset it to what it had previously been without exiting
the agenda and starting over.

I don't consider it a problem, just 'the way it is'.   Now that I know
that is how it works, I can deal with it.

No, sorry, that's not saying it correctly.   I have no problems
what-so-ever with how it works, I just didn't understand it.

Thanks for a great program!

Dave in Largo, FL

* Re: Bug in Agenda mode?
@ 2010-04-29 18:39     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-29 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Apr 29, 2010, at 4:51 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>

>>> If I do a C-a a, I see my weekly agenda, starting 'today'.
>>>
>>> Then I can hit 'd', and see today laid out better.   Back to 'w',
>>> and I
>>> see the weekly agenda again.
>>>
>>> I can scroll down to tomorrow, hit 'd', and see tomorrow.  But when I
>>> hit 'w', I'm back to the week view, but now it starts on tomorrow, and
>>> not today.
>>>
>>> And if I scroll down two days, and hit 'd', then 'w' to come back to
>>> the
>>> week view, I'm misplaced forward 2 days.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug, or 'just the way it works'.  I'd never noticed before,
>>> but I don't think I had actually tried that.
>>
>> looks like you have set org-agenda-start-on-weekday to nil.  The is
>> works like you describe.  If you set it to a number, the week will
>> always start on that day.
>>
>> The problem is that, if you are still in the current week, it might
>> make sense to have the week start at today when you switch back to
>> week view.  But when you are further away from today, the week view
>> must be constructed in a way that the day which was last shown in day
>> view is also shown.  Since you have opted to have your week view start
>> at whatever weekday is today, Org assumes now that you want a week
>> starting on the last shown day.
>>
>> Hmmmm.
>>
>> I am not sure what would be best here.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> I can live with that.   I only set the agenda to start from the current
> day because I didn't really care about seeing days that had already gone
> by.
>
> I think what surprised me the most was that, once I went to a specific
> day, and then back to week mode, and I started on a different day, was
> that I couldn't reset it to what it had previously been without exiting
> the agenda and starting over.
>
> I don't consider it a problem, just 'the way it is'.   Now that I know
> that is how it works, I can deal with it.
>
> No, sorry, that's not saying it correctly.   I have no problems
> what-so-ever with how it works, I just didn't understand it.

Hi David,

I have two org-mode setups and of course they are different :/

At home I don't know what day of the week it is normally (honest!) and I
want to see the next 7 days so my week starts from today (or whatever
day I'm looking at).

I normally just look at today so my agenda remembers to display day view
since that is what I used last.  Looking at and planning my entire week
is something I normally due on Monday's during my weekly review.

For work my week runs Saturday - Friday and it's useful to see the week
starting from Saturday.  If I want to see the week view (at work)
hitting w brings up this week starting from last Saturday (showing the
week including the day I'm displaying -- which is almost always today).

At work I report my hours from Saturday through Friday.  I often want a
clock report of what I've worked on this week so I look at the week view
and hit R and I have my report.

Hopefully some of this description is useful and doesn't confuse you
more :).

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Bug in Agenda mode?
@ 2010-04-29 19:05       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-29 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>

> Hi David,
>
> I have two org-mode setups and of course they are different :/
>
> At home I don't know what day of the week it is normally (honest!) and I
> want to see the next 7 days so my week starts from today (or whatever
> day I'm looking at).
>
> I normally just look at today so my agenda remembers to display day view
> since that is what I used last.  Looking at and planning my entire week
> is something I normally due on Monday's during my weekly review.
>
> For work my week runs Saturday - Friday and it's useful to see the week
> starting from Saturday.  If I want to see the week view (at work)
> hitting w brings up this week starting from last Saturday (showing the
> week including the day I'm displaying -- which is almost always today).
>
> At work I report my hours from Saturday through Friday.  I often want a
> clock report of what I've worked on this week so I look at the week view
> and hit R and I have my report.
>
> Hopefully some of this description is useful and doesn't confuse you
> more :).
>
> Regards,
> Bernt

That makes sense to me.   I think I am just going to change it so that I
see everything starting on Monday, and showing 7 days,  as that will
work fine here where I work.   I _rarely_ work on Saturday or Sunday
(which makes _me_ happy!)

Dave