* Org-mode 4.40
@ 2006-06-28  9:55 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-28  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Version 4.40 is a bug fix release that improves matching of embedded
LaTeX environments.  There are also a few changes in the org-context
function, but these are not user-visible changes.

Version 4.40 is now part of Emacs CVS.  You can also get it from

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/

If you still find bugs, NOW is the time to report them as I am trying to
further stabilize what we have now in preparation for the summer break.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Org-mode 4.40
@ 2006-06-28 11:45 ` Christian Schlauer
From: Christian Schlauer @ 2006-06-28 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> If you still find bugs, NOW is the time to report them as I am trying to
> further stabilize what we have now in preparation for the summer break.

I have some small things. Try the following in org-mode:

* Filling of text with negative numbers in column 0
In my texts, temperatures occur, like
-5 °C. Try to fill this paragraph with `M-q'.

Filling the next paragraph works:

In my texts, temperatures occur, like
5 °C. Try to fill this paragraph with `M-q'.

So the `-5' is interpreted as an itemized list -- wouldn't it be
better to check for lists with `- '?

* Timestamping
** <2006-08-03 Thu> Changing the date with <S-up/down> works

** [2006-06-28 Wed] Changing the date with <S-up/down> doesn't work
It isn't possible to change the date of inactive timestamps with
<S-arrow key>. Instead, priorities are added to the heading. I'd much
prefer to be able to change the date.

** On a German Windows XP, I get German day names in timestamps
What I mean is that I get timestamps like [2006-06-28 Mi]. Is this
somehow configurable? I might write English, and then I want English
timestamps. (On an English Windows 2000 or an English GNU/Linux, both
with a German keyboard layout, I don't see this.)

Christian Schlauer

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.40
@ 2006-06-28 12:21   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-28 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cs-usenet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 28, 2006, at 13:45, Christian Schlauer wrote:

> * Filling of text with negative numbers in column 0
> In my texts, temperatures occur, like
> -5 °C. Try to fill this paragraph with `M-q'.

Nice little bug!  Fixed, thanks.

> * Timestamping
> ** <2006-08-03 Thu> Changing the date with <S-up/down> works
>
> ** [2006-06-28 Wed] Changing the date with <S-up/down> doesn't work
> It isn't possible to change the date of inactive timestamps with
> <S-arrow key>. Instead, priorities are added to the heading. I'd much
> prefer to be able to change the date.

Hmmm.  Yes, the rational thing behind this (which may not be very
valid) is that [] time stamps are mostly used to *record* an event, and
therefore the timestamps should not be
changed......   But I think you are right, it is not very intuitive.

> ** On a German Windows XP, I get German day names in timestamps
> What I mean is that I get timestamps like [2006-06-28 Mi]. Is this
> somehow configurable? I might write English, and then I want English
> timestamps. (On an English Windows 2000 or an English GNU/Linux, both
> with a German keyboard layout, I don't see this.)

I am not sure how exactly this works, but I believe this has to do with
locales.  There are 3 Emacs variables for this:

Variable: locale-coding-system
This variable specifies the coding system to use for decoding system
error messages, for encoding the format argument to format-time-string,
and for decoding the return value of format-time-string.

Variable: system-messages-locale
This variable specifies the locale to use for generating system error
messages. Changing the locale can cause messages to come out in a
different language or in a different orthography. If the variable is
nil, the locale is specified by environment variables in the usual
POSIX fashion.

Variable: system-time-locale
This variable specifies the locale to use for formatting time values.
Changing the locale can cause messages to appear according to the
conventions of a different language. If the variable is nil, the locale
is specified by environment variables in the usual POSIX fashion.

If these are nil, then the locale is set somewhere in your environment.
  I don't know what legal values are, but I would suspect that you can
set the above variables to change the weekday abbreviations in time
stamps.  Maybe this is enough of a pointer.....

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.40
@ 2006-06-29  3:20     ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-06-29  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carsten.dominik; +Cc: cs-usenet, emacs-orgmode

One somewhat hard to track down bug is the behavior of insertion
of bullets.

I haven't pinned it down yet, but here is what happens:

I have org-insert-heading bound to C-j.

I start a bulleted list by hitting "  -"
at the front of a line, type some text, and press C-j. 9 times
out of 10, I get a new bullet which is what I want.
But sometimes (and I dont know yet when/ under what
circumstances) I get a section heading.

Also, and this might be related --
I often want to move the newly inserted bullet in a level to
create a nested list --- and that sometimes works using the magic
meta-arrow key --- but more often than not fails.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.40
@ 2006-06-29  7:32       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-29  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: cs-usenet, emacs-orgmode

Hi Raman,

On Jun 29, 2006, at 5:20, T. V. Raman wrote:

> One somewhat hard to track down bug is the behavior of insertion
> of bullets.

[...]

> I start a bulleted list by hitting "  -"
> at the front of a line, type some text, and press C-j. 9 times
> out of 10, I get a new bullet which is what I want.
> But sometimes (and I dont know yet when/ under what
> circumstances) I get a section heading.

I can reproduce this behavior if I forget to type the space
character after the minus bullet.  Bullets need to be followed
by a space.  This is unfortunately not yet fully enforced, for
example the export functions treated (until 5 minutes ago) a line
as a bullet even if there is no space, but this was a bug.
Items must have a space after the bullet.

> Also, and this might be related --
> I often want to move the newly inserted bullet in a level to
> create a nested list --- and that sometimes works using the magic
> meta-arrow key --- but more often than not fails.

You need M-S-<right> for this, not M-<right>.  I did implement this
only on M-S-right to show that for bullets it is always the entrire
bullet subtree that is being moved, never only the current entry
without its children.  Hmmm, maybe I chould make this more consistent
at some point.  Another problem is that the command only changes the
indentation by one - you often want to use it at lease twice, and in
numbered lists likely even three times to get the desired effect.
I am not happy about this myself, but have not come up with
a good solution yet.

But mayby you are using M-S-<right> an still get the bug?  If this is
the case, then hopefully you can come up with an example that is
reproducable.

Thanks

- Carsten