* table bug and SCHEDULED: issue
@ 2006-11-20 16:49 Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-11-20 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

    I don't know if I'd call it a bug or not, but I think the behavior
of SCHEDULED: in a table changed.  I'm still working on adding
SCHEDULED: to my mad little method of organizing work.  I believe in a
previous version of org-mode I was able to have a table lie the
following and have the containing todo item show up in the week-agenda
view.

* quick info
  |------------+------------------|
  | Blah       | Blah blah        |
  | SCHEDULED: | <2006-11-02 Thu> |
  | DEADLINE:  |                  |
  |------------+------------------|

Now this does not show up in the week-agenda.  Honestly, I was
surprised when it did work, and on the off chance it is supposed to,
well it doesn't now.  If the ability to say 'SCHEDULED: <start>-<end>'
were to be added as mentioned recently, such that it on the agenda on
day <start> and overdue if not done by <end>, I would be just as
pleased to use that outside of my quick info table.

Second, while testing this, I found that if I backspace over the pipe
character between SCHEDULED: and the date and then do an undo, the
pipe character is not restored.  I'm guessing the optimized table
editor is involved some how.  It isn't a big problem me or anything,
but I thought I'd mention it.

Edd

* Re: table bug and SCHEDULED: issue
@ 2006-11-21 12:54 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-11-21 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 20, 2006, at 17:49, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I don't know if I'd call it a bug or not, but I think the behavior
> of SCHEDULED: in a table changed.  I'm still working on adding
> SCHEDULED: to my mad little method of organizing work.  I believe in a
> previous version of org-mode I was able to have a table lie the
> following and have the containing todo item show up in the week-agenda
> view.
>
> * quick info
>  |------------+------------------|
>  | Blah       | Blah blah        |
>  | SCHEDULED: | <2006-11-02 Thu> |
>  | DEADLINE:  |                  |
>  |------------+------------------|
>
> Now this does not show up in the week-agenda.  Honestly, I was
> surprised when it did work, and on the off chance it is supposed to,
> well it doesn't now.  If the ability to say 'SCHEDULED: <start>-<end>'
> were to be added as mentioned recently, such that it on the agenda on
> day <start> and overdue if not done by <end>, I would be just as
> pleased to use that outside of my quick info table.

Well, there is possibility that this might have worked, but I am not
convinced.
For me, if I use this file, I do get an entry "quick info" on November
2 in
my agenda, I don't understand why you don't.  The reason why it is in
the agenda is the naked time stamp, and has nothing to do with the
SCHEDULED keyword.  Thats why this entry shows up only on the day and
is not forwarded like a scheduled item would be.

Why are you not using:

* quick info
  |-----------------------------|
  | Blah Blah blah              |
  | SCHEDULED: <2006-11-02 Thu> |
  | DEADLINE:                   |
  |-----------------------------|

then this item would really be scheduled for this date.

> Second, while testing this, I found that if I backspace over the pipe
> character between SCHEDULED: and the date and then do an undo, the
> pipe character is not restored.  I'm guessing the optimized table
> editor is involved some how.  It isn't a big problem me or anything,
> but I thought I'd mention it.

This one I cannot reproduce.  Anyone?

- Carsten

* Re: table bug and SCHEDULED: issue
@ 2006-11-21 17:41   ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-11-21 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/21/06, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2006, at 17:49, Eddward DeVilla wrote:
> Well, there is possibility that this might have worked, but I am not
> convinced.
> For me, if I use this file, I do get an entry "quick info" on November
> 2 in
> my agenda, I don't understand why you don't.  The reason why it is in
> the agenda is the naked time stamp, and has nothing to do with the
> SCHEDULED keyword.  Thats why this entry shows up only on the day and
> is not forwarded like a scheduled item would be.
>
> Why are you not using:
>
> * quick info
>   |-----------------------------|
>   | Blah Blah blah              |
>   | SCHEDULED: <2006-11-02 Thu> |
>   | DEADLINE:                   |
>   |-----------------------------|
>
> then this item would really be scheduled for this date.

I forgot about the naked timestamps.  That's why it probably worked on
the day I first tested it.  The table just grew into what it is.  I
originally had for each project something like

* WORKING [/] Some project                    :product1:
*** Quick info
    |-------------------------+-------------------|
    | problem report          | 123               |
    | release                 | v4r5m6            |
    | estimate                | 2 weeks           |
    |-------------------------+-------------------|
    | start date              | [date]            |
    | base code complete      | [date]            |
    | secondary code complete |                   |
    | testing complete        |                   |
    |-------------------------+-------------------|
    | toolset level           | 10.3              |
    | build environment setup | <build setup cmd> |
    |-------------------------+-------------------|

*** status ...

*** [/] investigation ...

*** [/] steps ...

*** [/] secondary steps ...

*** [/] testing ...

As I've started using agenda I've begun to look into using active
dates and the scheduling keywords.  I was trying to replace "start
date" with SCHEDULE: and I apparently fooled myself into thinking it
worked once.  :-)  I'll probably just move the scheduling keywords
under the project heading.

Also, I tried to recreate the bug with undo in the table on cygwin.
It doesn't happen there.  It also hasn't been 100% re-creatable today
on the original system.  Unless someone else sees it, I would waste
much time on it.  If I see it again I'll see if I can narrow it down.
Sorry.

Edd