* clocking in and out in remember buffers - seems to be buggy
@ 2008-01-22 21:04 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-01-22 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use to clock in a task when beginning to write in a remember buffer.
For example when receive a phone call from a customer I pop up a
remember template and the first thing I do is to start the clock.

- it would be very nice to have a way to do this automatically, maybe a
certain variable ...

After writing down notes and doing some stuff, documenting further in
the clocked in remember buffer, I finally want to save and close the
remember template.
After for example "C-u C-c C-c" I am asked if I want to clock out...

Answering "yes" I get "Clock start time is gone" and I am back in the
remember buffer.

Answering "no" the template is saved, the emacs status bar shows the
clock is running but trying to jump to the active clock with
org-goto-clocked-in-entry I get "No active clock".
That seems to be a bug or else I assume clocking in while being in a
remember buffer was never intended to be a feature?

Is there someone out there using the clock in the remember buffer?

By the way, the remember templates are an awesome mechanism and I try to
create more and more "rich" templates for different reoccuring tasks -
having then mostly only to choose between the predefined alternatives!

rainer

* Re: clocking in and out in remember buffers - seems to be buggy
@ 2008-01-22 21:42 ` Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2008-01-22 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jan 22 2008, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> I use to clock in a task when beginning to write in a remember buffer.
> For example when receive a phone call from a customer I pop up a
> remember template and the first thing I do is to start the clock.
>
> After writing down notes and doing some stuff, documenting further in
> the clocked in remember buffer, I finally want to save and close the
> remember template.

Here's what I would tried, but none of them worked

;; try to use advice to start and stop the clock
(defadvice remember (after clock-in-on-remember-open)
  "Call org-clock-in after opening a remember buffer."
  ;; also tried adding advice to org-remember and
  ;; org-remember-apply-template, neither worked
  (org-clock-in))

(defadvice remember-finalize (before clock-out-on-remember-close)
  "Call org-clock-out before closing a remember buffer."
  (org-clock-out))

;; try to add clock starting to the remember mode hook
(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'org-clock-in)

Maybe one of these will give you an idea that will get you started in
the right direction.  Sorry I couldn't actually figure it out.

/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: clocking in and out in remember buffers - seems to be buggy
@ 2008-01-24  8:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 22, 2008, at 10:04 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> I use to clock in a task when beginning to write in a remember buffer.
> For example when receive a phone call from a customer I pop up a
> remember template and the first thing I do is to start the clock.
>
> - it would be very nice to have a way to do this automatically,
> maybe a certain variable ...

You could use remember-mode-hook to run org-clock-in, maybe depending
on some string that you find and remove in the buffer.  The string could
be part of the template, for example CLOCK-IN:

(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'my-start-clock-if-needed)
(defun my-start-clock-if-needed ()
   (save-excursion
     (goto-char (point-min))
     (when (re-search-forward " *CLOCK-IN *" nil t)
        (replace-match "")
        (org-clock-in))))

> After writing down notes and doing some stuff, documenting further
> in the clocked in remember buffer, I finally want to save and close
> the remember template.
> After for example "C-u C-c C-c" I am asked if I want to clock out...

The query happens when the buffer gets killed - by then it is too
late, the
content of the buffer has already been filed away.

I will (in 5.20) have a check if the clock is running in the remember
buffer
before allowing you it file it.  This will not be an automatic clock-out
because that would lead to trouble with possibly adding a note about
clocking out.  But it will stop you from exiting without clocking out
first.

- Carsten

* Re: clocking in and out in remember buffers - seems to be buggy
@ 2008-01-24 15:14   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-01-24 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:

> On Jan 22, 2008, at 10:04 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>
>> I use to clock in a task when beginning to write in a remember buffer.
>> For example when receive a phone call from a customer I pop up a
>> remember template and the first thing I do is to start the clock.
>>
>> - it would be very nice to have a way to do this automatically, maybe
>> a certain variable ...
>
> You could use remember-mode-hook to run org-clock-in, maybe depending
> on some string that you find and remove in the buffer.  The string could
> be part of the template, for example CLOCK-IN:
>
> (add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'my-start-clock-if-needed)
> (defun my-start-clock-if-needed ()
>   (save-excursion
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (when (re-search-forward " *CLOCK-IN *" nil t)
>        (replace-match "")
>        (org-clock-in))))
>
>> After writing down notes and doing some stuff, documenting further in
>> the clocked in remember buffer, I finally want to save and close the
>> remember template.
>> After for example "C-u C-c C-c" I am asked if I want to clock out...
>
> The query happens when the buffer gets killed - by then it is too late, the
> content of the buffer has already been filed away.
>
> I will (in 5.20) have a check if the clock is running in the remember buffer
> before allowing you it file it.  This will not be an automatic clock-out
> because that would lead to trouble with possibly adding a note about
> clocking out.  But it will stop you from exiting without clocking out first.
>
> - Carsten

Hello Carsten,

thank's a lot! Good idea!

I tried it, using different regexes. It does not work when starting the remember buffer.
Being inside the remember buffer and calling the function it does work!
How can I track that down?
Btw, I cannot see a modeline telling me that I am in "remember mode" when I am in the Remember buffer.
Also "C-h m" doesn't show me anything about remember?

rainer

* Re: Re: clocking in and out in remember buffers - seems to be buggy
@ 2008-01-24 15:26     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-24 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 24, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Carsten Dominik schrieb:
>>
>> On Jan 22, 2008, at 10:04 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>>
>>> I use to clock in a task when beginning to write in a remember
>>> buffer.
>>> For example when receive a phone call from a customer I pop up a
>>> remember template and the first thing I do is to start the clock.
>>>
>>> - it would be very nice to have a way to do this automatically,
>>> maybe
>>> a certain variable ...
>>
>> You could use remember-mode-hook to run org-clock-in, maybe depending
>> on some string that you find and remove in the buffer.  The string
>> could
>> be part of the template, for example CLOCK-IN:
>>
>> (add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'my-start-clock-if-needed)
>> (defun my-start-clock-if-needed ()
>>  (save-excursion
>>    (goto-char (point-min))
>>    (when (re-search-forward " *CLOCK-IN *" nil t)
>>       (replace-match "")
>>       (org-clock-in))))
>>
>>> After writing down notes and doing some stuff, documenting further
>>> in
>>> the clocked in remember buffer, I finally want to save and close the
>>> remember template.
>>> After for example "C-u C-c C-c" I am asked if I want to clock out...
>>
>> The query happens when the buffer gets killed - by then it is too
>> late, the
>> content of the buffer has already been filed away.
>>
>> I will (in 5.20) have a check if the clock is running in the
>> remember buffer
>> before allowing you it file it.  This will not be an automatic
>> clock-out
>> because that would lead to trouble with possibly adding a note about
>> clocking out.  But it will stop you from exiting without clocking
>> out first.
>>
>> - Carsten

> Hello Carsten,
>
> thank's a lot! Good idea!
>
> I tried it, using different regexes. It does not work when starting
> the remember buffer.
> Being inside the remember buffer and calling the function it does
> work!
> How can I track that down?
> Btw, I cannot see a modeline telling me that I am in "remember mode"
> when I am in the Remember buffer.
> Also "C-h m" doesn't show me anything about remember?

Yes, when you use Org-mode together with remember, the
buffer is actually in Org-mode, to make it easier
to use org-mode specific stuff.  However, remember first puts
the buffer into remember-mode, therefore the hook is run.

I am not sure why things don't work.  Take a look at the variable
`remember-mode-hook'.  What is its value?

- Carsten

@ 2008-01-24 15:34       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-01-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:

> On Jan 24, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik schrieb:

>>> You could use remember-mode-hook to run org-clock-in, maybe depending
>>> on some string that you find and remove in the buffer.  The string could
>>> be part of the template, for example CLOCK-IN:
>>>
>>> (add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'my-start-clock-if-needed)
>>> (defun my-start-clock-if-needed ()
>>>  (save-excursion
>>>    (goto-char (point-min))
>>>    (when (re-search-forward " *CLOCK-IN *" nil t)
>>>       (replace-match "")
>>>       (org-clock-in))))

>>> The query happens when the buffer gets killed - by then it is too
>>> late, the
>>> content of the buffer has already been filed away.
>>>
>>> I will (in 5.20) have a check if the clock is running in the remember
>>> buffer
>>> before allowing you it file it.  This will not be an automatic clock-out
>>> because that would lead to trouble with possibly adding a note about
>>> clocking out.  But it will stop you from exiting without clocking out
>>> first.
>>>
>>> - Carsten

>> Hello Carsten,
>>
>> thank's a lot! Good idea!
>>
>> I tried it, using different regexes. It does not work when starting
>> the remember buffer.
>> Being inside the remember buffer and calling the function it does work!
>> How can I track that down?
>> Btw, I cannot see a modeline telling me that I am in "remember mode"
>> when I am in the Remember buffer.
>> Also "C-h m" doesn't show me anything about remember?
>
> Yes, when you use Org-mode together with remember, the
> buffer is actually in Org-mode, to make it easier
> to use org-mode specific stuff.  However, remember first puts
> the buffer into remember-mode, therefore the hook is run.
>
> I am not sure why things don't work.  Take a look at the variable
> `remember-mode-hook'.  What is its value?
>
> - Carsten

looks ok, includes the new function:

(my-start-clock-if-needed org-remember-apply-template)

is the template already "in" at that moment?

@ 2008-01-24 15:38         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-24 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 24, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

>> I am not sure why things don't work.  Take a look at the variable
>> `remember-mode-hook'.  What is its value?
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> looks ok, includes the new function:
>
> (my-start-clock-if-needed org-remember-apply-template)
>
> is the template already "in" at that moment?

No, it is not OK, the sequence is wrong.  Try an 'append argument when
adding the
my-start-clock-if-needed function, and make sure this line is called
after
the template functin has been added to the hook.  The restart emacs and
double-check, it has to be:

(org-remember-apply-template my-start-clock-if-needed)

- Carsten

* Re: clocking in and out in remember buffers - seems to be buggy
@ 2008-01-25 12:57           ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-01-25 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:

> On Jan 24, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>>>>>
>>> I am not sure why things don't work.  Take a look at the variable
>>> `remember-mode-hook'.  What is its value?
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>>

>> looks ok, includes the new function:
>>
>> (my-start-clock-if-needed org-remember-apply-template)
>>
>> is the template already "in" at that moment?
>

> No, it is not OK, the sequence is wrong.  Try an 'append argument when
> adding the
> my-start-clock-if-needed function, and make sure this line is called after
> the template functin has been added to the hook.  The restart emacs and
> double-check, it has to be:
>
> (org-remember-apply-template my-start-clock-if-needed)
>
> - Carsten

Excellent, the clock is now started whenever I have a "CLOCK-IN" string in the template!
Leaving with C-u C-c C-c it I am asked if I want clock out.

Answering "y" it says:

"Clock start time is gone"

and the remeber buffer stays open.

- Answering "n" the buffer is saved. Trying to find the clocked in item by calling
	org-gotro-clocked-in-entry
results in:

"No active clock"

Both cases do not make sense for me.
Anyone has a comment/help?

@ 2008-01-25 13:12             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-25 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This will be fixed in 5.20, by forcing you to explicitly clock out
before
storing the note.  For now, just do it willingly.

- Carsten