* ob-sql is not finding psql when using direnv+guix
@ 2021-05-09  8:07 Adolfo De Unanue
From: Adolfo De Unanue @ 2021-05-09  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I am using Guix with direnv. In an specific folder I am installing and using psql and postgresql using direnv+guix as follows:

use guix --manifest=cdpp-manifest.scm

export PGUSER=food_user
export PGPASSWORD=some_password
export PGDATABASE=food

layout postgres

Where cdpp-manifest.scm contains the following:

(specifications->manifest
'("python"
   "python-pandas"
   "python-numpy"
   "python-flask"
   "python-graphene"
   "postgresql"
   "jupyter"))

I am able to use sql-mode and run queries against the database, in order to achieve that I am using the following .dir-locals.el

;;; Directory Local Variables
;;; For more information see (info "(emacs) Directory Variables")

((nil .
      ((projectile-project-test-cmd . "pytest --color=no --failed-first --maxfail=5")))
(python-mode .
              ((python-shell-buffer-name . "Python [CDPP-Inspecciones]")))

(org-mode . (
              (indent-tabs-mode . nil)
              (org-src-preserve-indentation . t)
              (org-footnote-auto-adjust . t)
              (org-footnote-auto-label . t)
              (ispell-local-dictionary . "spanish")
              (org-export-allow-bind-keywords . t)
              (org-footnote-define-inline . nil)
              (org-footnote-section . "Footnotes")))

(sql-mode . ((sql-connection-alist . ((mydb
                                        (sql-product 'postgres)
                                        (sql-database "mydb")
                                        (sql-user "db_user")
                                        (sql-server (expand-file-name ".direnv/postgres"))
                                        (sql-port 5432)
                                        )
                                      )))))

But If I try to use an sql org-babel block

#+begin_src sql
select 1;
#+end_src

(I am setting the connection variables in a PROPERTY)

I get the error: `psql is not found`

I was reading about the variable sql-postgres-program, so if I set the following in dir-locals.el

(sql-postgres-program . "/gnu/store/f2v92bkx2vfzmkl14qxj3hlmby4dy9x0-profile/bin/psql")

It works (note that psql ONLY lives inside the profile defined by direnv+guix), but I don't like the idea of hardcode the path.

Is there a better way?

Ideally I will expect that the org block will read it from the environment, but is not working.

Thanks in advance