* [FR] Add a way to mark an item in a checklist as failed
@ 2024-02-26 15:38 Rudi C
From: Rudi C @ 2024-02-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think currently there is no way to mark an item in a checklist as failed?
I would like to have such an ability ... Something like:

- [F] task x

or:

- [0] task x

The use case is that I use checklists to remember and track doing some
important stuff at the start of the day; all the items are at first in a
neutral/todo state. Some of them get done (`[X]`), but some of them fail
during the day. For example, I have an item `- [ ] No sugar` which tracks
whether I have consumed artificial sugar during the day. I like to be able
to mark this as failed.

I know this can be simulated using headings, but checklists are visually
nicer and have cookies `[/]` etc.

PS: Please use reply to all, as I am not subscribed to the list.

* Re: [FR] Add a way to mark an item in a checklist as failed
@ 2024-02-26 19:55 ` Sławomir Grochowski
From: Sławomir Grochowski @ 2024-02-26 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudi C, emacs-orgmode

Hi Rudy,

Rudi C <rudiwillalwaysloveyou@gmail.com> writes:

> The use case is that I use checklists to remember and track doing some
> important stuff at the start of the day; all the items are at first in a
> neutral/todo state. Some of them get done (`[X]`), but some of them fail
> during the day. For example, I have an item `- [ ] No sugar` which tracks
> whether I have consumed artificial sugar during the day. I like to be able
> to mark this as failed.

It's nice to hear that someone is having the same need for a failed state in the checkbox.

Currently, the case looks like this:

A checkbox can be in one of the three states:
1. not checked =[ ]=
2. partially checked =[-]=
3. checked =[X]=

So I use this partially checked =[-]= state to mark it as failed.
But this 'partially checked' is for checkboxes that are in parent-child
relation.
For example:

If some but not all child checkboxes are checked, the parent checkbox is partially checked.
#+begin_example
- [-] call people
  - [X] Peter
  - [ ] Sarah
#+end_example

And this 'partially checked' is set automatically.

But you can set it manually for checkbox that is not in parent-child
relation. Just insert '-' manually or press 'C-c C-c (org-toggle-checkbox)'
with a double prefix argument 'C-u C-u'.

Statics cookie works as expected.

#+begin_example
- call people [1/2]
  - [X] Peter
  - [-] Sarah
#+end_example

> I know this can be simulated using headings, but checklists are visually
> nicer and have cookies `[/]` etc.

You can also use statistics cookie '[/]' in checkbox items list.

For example:
#+begin_example
- [ ] call people [1/2]
  - [X] Peter
  - [ ] Sarah
#+end_example

--
Sławomir Grochowski

* Re: [FR] Add a way to mark an item in a checklist as failed
@ 2024-02-26 20:20   ` Rudi C
From: Rudi C @ 2024-02-26 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sławomir Grochowski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I also use the partial tick for partial completion of tasks, so I cannot
abuse it for marking failed tasks. :wry_smile:

@ 2024-02-26 21:26     ` Sławomir Grochowski
From: Sławomir Grochowski @ 2024-02-26 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudi C; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rudi C <rudiwillalwaysloveyou@gmail.com> writes:

> I also use the partial tick for partial completion of tasks, so I cannot
> abuse it for marking failed tasks. :wry_smile:

That's interesting. Can you show some examples?

So 4 state checkbox?
Search the net. e.g.
https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/144576/how-to-visually-represent-4-state-checkbox

"Checkboxes have long-been established to have 3 states: checked,
unchecked, and mixed (with the horizontal line). Changing this
behavior is confusing and should be avoided."

I also miss this failed state a bit. But indeed it's getting a little
too complicated.

What others think?

--
Sławomir Grochowski

* Re: [FR] Add a way to mark an item in a checklist as failed
@ 2024-02-27  7:02       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2024-02-27  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sławomir Grochowski; +Cc: Rudi C, emacs-orgmode

my brain for some reason isn't figuring out using headings to simulate
checklists.  i'm not sure why i keep reaching for checklists or what
it is that i find useful about them that i can't yet figure out how to
do with headings.

sure, they're cleaner and simpler and have bullet styles,

but still. it ought to be possible to do similar with kw and such, not
sure how though.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: [FR] Add a way to mark an item in a checklist as failed
@ 2024-02-27 13:03 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-27 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudi C; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rudi C <rudiwillalwaysloveyou@gmail.com> writes:

> I think currently there is no way to mark an item in a checklist as failed?
> I would like to have such an ability ... Something like:
>
> - [F] task x
>
> or:
>
> - [0] task x

Duplicate of