* Problem with org-insert-heading on multi-line items?
@ 2013-05-25 18:53 Tom Davey
From: Tom Davey @ 2013-05-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I'm using Org 8.0.3 and Emacs 24.3.1.

I noticed with interest this note in the Org 8.0 release notes:

"When a list item has a checkbox, inserting a new item uses a checkbox
too."

I'm finding, however, that Org will in many cases insert a new
checkbox even if the current item has none. Specifically, invoking
org-insert-heading on the second or subsequent lines of a multi-line item
will create a new checkbox item every time, whether the current
item has a checkbox or not. To illustrate:

1. org-insert-heading invoked here creates a new plain item
2. org-insert-heading invoked on this second item does the same
3. However, org-insert-heading, invoked on the SECOND line of this
    creates a following checkbox item:
4. [ ]

However, invoking org-insert-heading on the first line of a multi-line
item creates new items of the correct type, checkbox or not. So it
seems like the first line is determinative.

May I ask if anybody else is seeing this behavior? Is it as designed?

Regards,
Tom Davey

--
Tom Davey
tom@tomdavey.com

* Re: Problem with org-insert-heading on multi-line items?
@ 2013-06-02 17:42 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-06-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tom,

I believe this issue no longer exists in the current master, it was fixed a while ago.  Could you please confirm?

- Carsten

@ 2013-08-07  3:20   ` Tom Davey
From: Tom Davey @ 2013-08-07  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Carsten,

My apologies for the very tardy reply. You wrote me in June:

> I believe this issue no longer exists in the current master,
> it was fixed a while ago.  Could you please confirm?

I just upgraded to 8.07, and unfortunately I don't believe it's fixed.
I'm finding the same behavior I described earlier: org-insert-heading
will add a checkbox to a new list item as long as the previous item
extends over two or more lines, even if no checkbox exists in that
previous item. Thanks much and sorry again for the delay in replying.

Regards,
Tom Davey

--

@ 2013-08-07  4:21     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-08-07  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tom Davey <tdavey@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Carsten,
>
> My apologies for the very tardy reply. You wrote me in June:
>
>> I believe this issue no longer exists in the current master,
>> it was fixed a while ago.  Could you please confirm?
>
> I just upgraded to 8.07, and unfortunately I don't believe it's fixed.
> I'm finding the same behavior I described earlier: org-insert-heading
> will add a checkbox to a new list item as long as the previous item
> extends over two or more lines, even if no checkbox exists in that
> previous item. Thanks much and sorry again for the delay in replying.

I can't reproduce this, but given that I could not reproduce Matt
Lundin's infinite loop for the longest time (and still cannot
consistently) I have to doubt myself: can we have a show of hands?

--
Nick

* Re: Problem with org-insert-heading on multi-line items?
@ 2013-08-07 15:16       ` Tom Davey
From: Tom Davey @ 2013-08-07 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Nick

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for trying to reproduce what I'm
seeing. You've made me realize that I have filed a weak bug report. I
owe the list a reproducible test case. I will get going on that.

Regards,
Tom Davey

--

@ 2013-08-07 16:39         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-08-07 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 11:16:33AM -0400, Tom Davey wrote:
> Hi Nick
>
> Thanks for the reply, and thanks for trying to reproduce what I'm
> seeing. You've made me realize that I have filed a weak bug report. I
> owe the list a reproducible test case. I will get going on that.

To aid to that goal:

  <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41281>

GL,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Problem with org-insert-heading on multi-line items?
@ 2013-08-08  6:41     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-08-08  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tom,

I have just rewritten org-insert-heading from scratch.  It might not be bug-free, but at least now it is in a state where bugs can be fixed.  Let me know if there are still problems.

- Carsten

@ 2013-08-22 16:57       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2013-08-22 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten!