* A strange problem with org-babel and SQLite
@ 2018-08-31  8:47 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-08-31  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a strange problem with org-babel and SQLite.

I have a database that is created with:
    CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
        quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
        quote           TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
        lastUsed        TEXT,
        totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
    )

When using:
    #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
    SELECT   lastUsed
    ,        totalUsed
    FROM     quotes
    ORDER BY lastused  ASC
    ,        totalUsed DESC
    LIMIT    40
    #+END_SRC

Everything is fine. But when I use (add the quote field in the select):
    #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
    SELECT   quote
    ,        lastUsed
    ,        totalUsed
    FROM     quotes
    ORDER BY lastused  ASC
    ,        totalUsed DESC
    LIMIT    40
    #+END_SRC

I get:
    executing Sqlite code block...
    Wrote /tmp/babel-27920y_/ob-input-2792BTG
    org-babel-read: End of file during parsing

What could be the problem?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: A strange problem with org-babel and SQLite
@ 2018-08-31  9:17 ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2018-08-31  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Cecil,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 10:47:50 +0200
Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a strange problem with org-babel and SQLite.
>
> I have a database that is created with:
>     CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
>         quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
>         quote           TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
>         lastUsed        TEXT,
>         totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
>     )
>
> When using:
>     #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
>     SELECT   lastUsed
>     ,        totalUsed
>     FROM     quotes
>     ORDER BY lastused  ASC
>     ,        totalUsed DESC
>     LIMIT    40
>     #+END_SRC
>
> Everything is fine. But when I use (add the quote field in the
> select): #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
>     SELECT   quote
>     ,        lastUsed
>     ,        totalUsed
>     FROM     quotes
>     ORDER BY lastused  ASC
>     ,        totalUsed DESC
>     LIMIT    40
>     #+END_SRC
>
> I get:
>     executing Sqlite code block...
>     Wrote /tmp/babel-27920y_/ob-input-2792BTG
>     org-babel-read: End of file during parsing
>
> What could be the problem?

does it work outside of org/babel/emacs, that is, when you use the
query in a command line sqlite session, does it work?  “quote” is also
a function in sqlite, so this might be your issue.

Best regards
Robert

* Re: A strange problem with org-babel and SQLite
@ 2018-08-31 10:24   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-08-31 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Cecil,
>
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 10:47:50 +0200
> Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a strange problem with org-babel and SQLite.
> >
> > I have a database that is created with:
> >     CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
> >         quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
> >         quote           TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
> >         lastUsed        TEXT,
> >         totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
> >     )
> >
> > When using:
> >     #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
> >     SELECT   lastUsed
> >     ,        totalUsed
> >     FROM     quotes
> >     ORDER BY lastused  ASC
> >     ,        totalUsed DESC
> >     LIMIT    40
> >     #+END_SRC
> >
> > Everything is fine. But when I use (add the quote field in the
> > select): #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
> >     SELECT   quote
> >     ,        lastUsed
> >     ,        totalUsed
> >     FROM     quotes
> >     ORDER BY lastused  ASC
> >     ,        totalUsed DESC
> >     LIMIT    40
> >     #+END_SRC
> >
> > I get:
> >     executing Sqlite code block...
> >     Wrote /tmp/babel-27920y_/ob-input-2792BTG
> >     org-babel-read: End of file during parsing
> >
> > What could be the problem?
> >

> does it work outside of org/babel/emacs, that is, when you use the
> query in a command line sqlite session, does it work?  “quote” is also
> a function in sqlite, so this might be your issue.

Yes, in sqlite3 and sqlitebrowser it works without problems.
In org-babel even 'SELECT *' goes wrong.

--

@ 2018-08-31 11:22     ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2018-08-31 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Cecil,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 12:24:33 +0200
Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi Cecil,
> >
> > On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 10:47:50 +0200
> > Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a strange problem with org-babel and SQLite.
> > >
> > > I have a database that is created with:
> > >     CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
> > >         quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
> > >         quote           TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
> > >         lastUsed        TEXT,
> > >         totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
> > >     )
> > >
> > > When using:
> > >     #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
> > >     SELECT   lastUsed
> > >     ,        totalUsed
> > >     FROM     quotes
> > >     ORDER BY lastused  ASC
> > >     ,        totalUsed DESC
> > >     LIMIT    40
> > >     #+END_SRC
> > >
> > > Everything is fine. But when I use (add the quote field in the
> > > select): #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db
> > > ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes SELECT   quote
> > >     ,        lastUsed
> > >     ,        totalUsed
> > >     FROM     quotes
> > >     ORDER BY lastused  ASC
> > >     ,        totalUsed DESC
> > >     LIMIT    40
> > >     #+END_SRC
> > >
> > > I get:
> > >     executing Sqlite code block...
> > >     Wrote /tmp/babel-27920y_/ob-input-2792BTG
> > >     org-babel-read: End of file during parsing
> > >
> > > What could be the problem?
> > >

> > does it work outside of org/babel/emacs, that is, when you use the
> > query in a command line sqlite session, does it work?  “quote” is
> > also a function in sqlite, so this might be your issue.
> >

> Yes, in sqlite3 and sqlitebrowser it works without problems.
> In org-babel even 'SELECT *' goes wrong.

I can't reproduce the issue, it works for me.  What are your org-mode
and Emacs versions?

Can you provide an ECM (Example, complete, minimal) org-mode setup /
Emacs initialization file?

Best regards
Robert

* Re: A strange problem with org-babel and SQLite
@ 2018-09-01  9:12       ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-09-01  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 12:24:33 +0200
> Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Cecil,

> > > does it work outside of org/babel/emacs, that is, when you use the
> > > query in a command line sqlite session, does it work?  “quote” is
> > > also a function in sqlite, so this might be your issue.
> > >

> > Yes, in sqlite3 and sqlitebrowser it works without problems.
> > In org-babel even 'SELECT *' goes wrong.
> >

> I can't reproduce the issue, it works for me.  What are your org-mode
> and Emacs versions?

GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11) of 2017-09-15,
modified by Debian
Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/)

> Can you provide an ECM (Example, complete, minimal) org-mode setup /
> Emacs initialization file?

(add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'bh/display-inline-images 'append)

; Make babel results blocks lowercase
(setq org-babel-results-keyword "results")

(defun bh/display-inline-images ()
  (condition-case nil
      (org-display-inline-images)
    (error nil)))

(org-babel-do-load-languages
 (quote org-babel-load-languages)
 (quote ((emacs-lisp . t)
         (sqlite . t)
         (dot . t)
         (ditaa . t)
         (R . t)
         (python . t)
         (ruby . t)
         (gnuplot . t)
         (clojure . t)
         (sh . t)
         (ledger . t)
         (org . t)
         (plantuml . t)
         (latex . t))))

; Do not prompt to confirm evaluation
; This may be dangerous - make sure you understand the consequences
; of setting this -- see the docstring for details
(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)

; Use fundamental mode when editing plantuml blocks with C-c '
(add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes (quote ("plantuml" . fundamental)))

Is this what you need, or do you need more?

--

@ 2018-09-01 12:24         ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2018-09-01 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Cecil,

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 11:12:57 +0200
Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, in sqlite3 and sqlitebrowser it works without problems.
> > > In org-babel even 'SELECT *' goes wrong.
> > >

> > I can't reproduce the issue, it works for me.  What are your
> > org-mode and Emacs versions?
> >

> GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11) of
> 2017-09-15, modified by Debian
> Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10
> @ /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/)
>

> > Can you provide an ECM (Example, complete, minimal) org-mode setup /
> > Emacs initialization file?
> >

> (add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'bh/display-inline-images
> 'append)
>
> ; Make babel results blocks lowercase
> (setq org-babel-results-keyword "results")
>
> (defun bh/display-inline-images ()
>   (condition-case nil
>       (org-display-inline-images)
>     (error nil)))
>
> (org-babel-do-load-languages
>  (quote org-babel-load-languages)
>  (quote ((emacs-lisp . t)
>          (sqlite . t)
>          (dot . t)
>          (ditaa . t)
>          (R . t)
>          (python . t)
>          (ruby . t)
>          (gnuplot . t)
>          (clojure . t)
>          (sh . t)
>          (ledger . t)
>          (org . t)
>          (plantuml . t)
>          (latex . t))))
>
> ; Do not prompt to confirm evaluation
> ; This may be dangerous - make sure you understand the consequences
> ; of setting this -- see the docstring for details
> (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
>
> ; Use fundamental mode when editing plantuml blocks with C-c '
> (add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes (quote ("plantuml" . fundamental)))
>
> Is this what you need, or do you need more?

sorry, I still can't reproduce the issue, even using the same stock
Emacs and org-mode from Debian 9 as you do.

Could you _attach_ the emacs init file and the org-mode file which
shows the issue?  (so I can simply start “emacs -Q -l sqlite.emacs
sqlite.org” and then press C-c C-c inside the sqlite code to see the
issue?

Best regards
Robert

* Re: A strange problem with org-babel and SQLite
@ 2018-09-02 13:22           ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-09-02 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Cecil,
>
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 11:12:57 +0200
> Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I can't reproduce the issue, it works for me.  What are your
> > > org-mode and Emacs versions?
> > >

> > GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11) of
> > 2017-09-15, modified by Debian
> > Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10
> > @ /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/)
> >

> > > Can you provide an ECM (Example, complete, minimal) org-mode setup /
> > > Emacs initialization file?
> > >

> > (add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'bh/display-inline-images
> > 'append)
> >
> > ; Make babel results blocks lowercase
> > (setq org-babel-results-keyword "results")
> >
> > (defun bh/display-inline-images ()
> >   (condition-case nil
> >       (org-display-inline-images)
> >     (error nil)))
> >
> > (org-babel-do-load-languages
> >  (quote org-babel-load-languages)
> >  (quote ((emacs-lisp . t)
> >          (sqlite . t)
> >          (dot . t)
> >          (ditaa . t)
> >          (R . t)
> >          (python . t)
> >          (ruby . t)
> >          (gnuplot . t)
> >          (clojure . t)
> >          (sh . t)
> >          (ledger . t)
> >          (org . t)
> >          (plantuml . t)
> >          (latex . t))))
> >
> > ; Do not prompt to confirm evaluation
> > ; This may be dangerous - make sure you understand the consequences
> > ; of setting this -- see the docstring for details
> > (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
> >
> > ; Use fundamental mode when editing plantuml blocks with C-c '
> > (add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes (quote ("plantuml" . fundamental)))
> >
> > Is this what you need, or do you need more?
> >

> sorry, I still can't reproduce the issue, even using the same stock
> Emacs and org-mode from Debian 9 as you do.
>
> Could you _attach_ the emacs init file and the org-mode file which
> shows the issue?  (so I can simply start “emacs -Q -l sqlite.emacs
> sqlite.org” and then press C-c C-c inside the sqlite code to see the
> issue?

My emacs init has grown over the years and it includes a lot of others. I
should try to create

a clean one.

--

@ 2018-09-03  0:19             ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-09-03  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Hi Cecil,

>> > GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11) of
>> > 2017-09-15, modified by Debian
>> > Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10
>> > @ /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/)

>> > (add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'bh/display-inline-images
>> > 'append)
>> >
>> > ; Make babel results blocks lowercase
>> > (setq org-babel-results-keyword "results")
>> >
>> > (defun bh/display-inline-images ()
>> >   (condition-case nil
>> >       (org-display-inline-images)
>> >     (error nil)))
>> >
>> > (org-babel-do-load-languages
>> >  (quote org-babel-load-languages)
>> >  (quote ((emacs-lisp . t)
>> >          (sqlite . t)
>> >          (dot . t)
>> >          (ditaa . t)
>> >          (R . t)
>> >          (python . t)
>> >          (ruby . t)
>> >          (gnuplot . t)
>> >          (clojure . t)
>> >          (sh . t)
>> >          (ledger . t)
>> >          (org . t)
>> >          (plantuml . t)
>> >          (latex . t))))
>> >
>> > ; Do not prompt to confirm evaluation
>> > ; This may be dangerous - make sure you understand the consequences
>> > ; of setting this -- see the docstring for details
>> > (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
>> >
>> > ; Use fundamental mode when editing plantuml blocks with C-c '
>> > (add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes (quote ("plantuml" . fundamental)))
>> >
>> > Is this what you need, or do you need more?
>> >

>> sorry, I still can't reproduce the issue, even using the same stock
>> Emacs and org-mode from Debian 9 as you do.
>>
>> Could you _attach_ the emacs init file and the org-mode file which
>> shows the issue?  (so I can simply start “emacs -Q -l sqlite.emacs
>> sqlite.org” and then press C-c C-c inside the sqlite code to see the
>> issue?
>>

> My emacs init has grown over the years and it includes a lot of others. I
> should try to create
>
> a clean one.

I think I am almost there. Is it possible to create a memory database with
org-babel instead of a file based

one. That would make more transparent I think.

--

@ 2018-09-03  1:09           ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-09-03  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Cecil,
>
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 11:12:57 +0200
> Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I can't reproduce the issue, it works for me.  What are your
> > > org-mode and Emacs versions?
> > >

> > GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11) of
> > 2017-09-15, modified by Debian
> > Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10
> > @ /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/)
> >

> > > Can you provide an ECM (Example, complete, minimal) org-mode setup /
> > > Emacs initialization file?
> > >

> > (add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'bh/display-inline-images
> > 'append)
> >
> > ; Make babel results blocks lowercase
> > (setq org-babel-results-keyword "results")
> >
> > (defun bh/display-inline-images ()
> >   (condition-case nil
> >       (org-display-inline-images)
> >     (error nil)))
> >
> > (org-babel-do-load-languages
> >  (quote org-babel-load-languages)
> >  (quote ((emacs-lisp . t)
> >          (sqlite . t)
> >          (dot . t)
> >          (ditaa . t)
> >          (R . t)
> >          (python . t)
> >          (ruby . t)
> >          (gnuplot . t)
> >          (clojure . t)
> >          (sh . t)
> >          (ledger . t)
> >          (org . t)
> >          (plantuml . t)
> >          (latex . t))))
> >
> > ; Do not prompt to confirm evaluation
> > ; This may be dangerous - make sure you understand the consequences
> > ; of setting this -- see the docstring for details
> > (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
> >
> > ; Use fundamental mode when editing plantuml blocks with C-c '
> > (add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes (quote ("plantuml" . fundamental)))
> >
> > Is this what you need, or do you need more?
> >

> sorry, I still can't reproduce the issue, even using the same stock
> Emacs and org-mode from Debian 9 as you do.
>
> Could you _attach_ the emacs init file and the org-mode file which
> shows the issue?  (so I can simply start “emacs -Q -l sqlite.emacs
> sqlite.org” and then press C-c C-c inside the sqlite code to see the
> issue?

It is quite strange. It looks like it has something to do with the database
itself, because the following works:
#+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/testingOrgBabel.sqlite :colnames yes
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS quotes
;
CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
    quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
    quote           TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
    lastUsed        TEXT,
    totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
)
;
INSERT INTO quotes
(quoteID, quote)
VALUES
(1, "First record."),
(2, "Second record.")
;
SELECT *
FROM   quotes
;
#+END_SRC

The create is just copied from the original database.

The following works:
#+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/testingOrgBabel.sqlite :colnames yes
SELECT *
FROM   quotes
LIMIT  2
;
#+END_SRC

But this does not work:
#+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
SELECT *
FROM   quotes
LIMIT  2
;
#+END_SRC

Weird indeed.

What I also tried:
#+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
CREATE TABLE "quotes2" (
    quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
    quote           TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
    lastUsed        TEXT,
    totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
)
#+END_SRC

Then I can do:
#+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
SELECT *
FROM   quotes2
#+END_SRC

But when I do:
#+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/Twitter/twitter.sqlite :colnames yes
INSERT INTO quotes2
SELECT * from quotes
#+END_SRC

the select does not work any-more.

But the select from the command-line tool works without a problem.

--

@ 2018-09-03  1:23             ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-09-03  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It has to do with the data. With the following I can reproduce it:
#+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/testingOrgBabel.sqlite :colnames yes
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS quotes
;
CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
    quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
    quote           TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
    lastUsed        TEXT,
    totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
)
;
INSERT INTO quotes
(quoteID, quote)
VALUES
("1230FCF5-B25D-4087-88A4-41DF3AC353DA", '[
  "Limitations live only in our minds.
But if we use our imaginations,
our possibilities become limitless.

- Jamie Paolinett",
  "Hoe gebruik jij je verbeelding om
je mogelijkheden te vergroten?"
]'),
(2, "Second record.")
;
SELECT *
FROM   quotes
;
#+END_SRC

When I put a JSON field in the quote field the parsing goes wrong.

--

@ 2018-09-05  6:56               ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2018-09-05  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Cecil,

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 03:23:17 +0200
Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:

> It has to do with the data. With the following I can reproduce it:
> #+BEGIN_SRC sqlite :db ~/testingOrgBabel.sqlite :colnames yes
> DROP TABLE IF EXISTS quotes
> ;
> CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
>     quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
>     quote           TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
>     lastUsed        TEXT,
>     totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
> )
> ;
> INSERT INTO quotes
> (quoteID, quote)
> VALUES
> ("1230FCF5-B25D-4087-88A4-41DF3AC353DA", '[
>   "Limitations live only in our minds.
> But if we use our imaginations,
> our possibilities become limitless.
>
> - Jamie Paolinett",
>   "Hoe gebruik jij je verbeelding om
> je mogelijkheden te vergroten?"
> ]'),
> (2, "Second record.")
> ;
> SELECT *
> FROM   quotes
> ;
> #+END_SRC
>
> When I put a JSON field in the quote field the parsing goes wrong.

umm, yes.  Actually what seems to happen is that emacs tries to
evaluate the JSON part as emacs lisp code, in this case an array.  In
detail, I think, this happens:

- org-babel-execute:sqlite (ob-sqlite, line 60)
  calls (for converting the results)

- org-babel-sqlite-table-or-scalar (ob-sqlite, line 133),
  which apparently thinks the result looks like a “trivial table” and
  calls

- org-babel-read (ob-core.el, line 2912),
  which detects the JSON string (begins with a "[ ) as lisp and tries
  to evaluate the lisp form.  The call to “read” in line 2927 then
  fails, because there is no closing ]  (only the contents on one cell
  is sent to org-babel-read; note, there are no multi-line cells in org
  tables).

Line numbers are from Org release_9.1.14-1-g4931fc.

That's no solution of course. To resolve this,

- is there a reason to evaluate table cell contents as lisp code?

If no,

- don't use org-babel-read (in org-babel-sqlite-table-or-scalar)
- or compare “(org-babel-result-cond...)” code with other ob-*.el
  (ob-sql.el?) and rewrite.

If yes,

- is there a way to check if a string is correct lisp code before
  calling “read”?

In the “yes” case, there's still the issue of JSON being possibly
detected as “correct” lisp code (e.g. ["alfa"]).

In your case, if you haven't invested too much in the dependency on
JSON, you might want to redesign the database, e.g.

CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
        quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,
        quote_en        TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
	quote_nl	TEXT NOT NULL  UNIQUE,
        lastUsed        TEXT,
        totalUsed       INT  DEFAULT 'unused'
    );

Best regards
Robert

@ 2018-09-09 12:36                 ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2018-09-09 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 08:56:02 +0200
Robert Klein <roklein@roklein.de> wrote:

> [...]
> org tables).
>

> Line numbers are from Org release_9.1.14-1-g4931fc.
>

> That's no solution of course. To resolve this,
>
> - is there a reason to evaluate table cell contents as lisp code?
>
> If no,
>
> - don't use org-babel-read (in org-babel-sqlite-table-or-scalar)
> - or compare “(org-babel-result-cond...)” code with other ob-*.el
>   (ob-sql.el?) and rewrite.
>
> If yes,
>
> - is there a way to check if a string is correct lisp code before
>   calling “read”?
>

> In the “yes” case, there's still the issue of JSON being possibly
> detected as “correct” lisp code (e.g. ["alfa"]).
>

> In your case, if you haven't invested too much in the dependency on
> JSON, you might want to redesign the database, e.g.
>

> CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
>         quoteID         TEXT           PRIMARY KEY,

Hi Cecil,

could you try to put the following code in your .emacs _after_
“org-babel-do-load-languages” for ob-sqlite?

(defun org-babel-read (cell &optional inhibit-lisp-eval)
  "Convert the string value of CELL to a number if appropriate.
Otherwise if cell looks like lisp (meaning it starts with a
\"(\", \"\\='\", \"\\=`\" or a \"[\") then read it as lisp,
otherwise return it unmodified as a string.  Optional argument
NO-LISP-EVAL inhibits lisp evaluation for situations in which is
it not appropriate."
  (if (and (stringp cell) (not (equal cell "")))
      (or (org-babel-number-p cell)
          (if (and (not inhibit-lisp-eval)
                   (or (member (substring cell 0 1) '("(" "'" "`" "["))
                       (string= cell "*this*")))
              (eval (read cell))
            (if (and (not inhibit-lisp-eval)
                     (string= (substring cell 0 1) "\""))
                (read cell)
              (progn (set-text-properties 0 (length cell) nil cell)
cell)))) cell))

(This should work for Emacs 25.x)

Best regards
Robert

* Re: A strange problem with org-babel and SQLite
@ 2018-09-10  7:05                   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-09-10  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode