* Editing Org files on the iPad
@ 2011-08-03 16:46 Carl Bolduc
From: Carl Bolduc @ 2011-08-03 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

My setup:
  - windows pc at work
  - iMac at home (my wife is monopolizing it :P )
  - iPad for personal use

I keep all my Org files in Dropbox. I use the iPad a lot, and not just for
browsing on the couch. When I want to edit my Org files on the iPad,
I struggle. I really tried to use MobileOrg... it might be not so bad for
looking up something but I don't like the editing experience. My work around
at the moment is to log on the iMac through SSH and lunch the full Emacs.
The experience is not perfect, mainly because it is not super fast and
because it only works when I am at home.

Right now, I am tempted by the many great plaint text editor that exist in
iOS. This way, I would get a great typing experience but I would lose the
ability to perform actions on the text until I get back to the PC.

Is anyone in a similar situation? What are your solutions/workarounds?

Carl

* Re: Editing Org files on the iPad
@ 2011-08-03 19:43 ` Ido Magal
From: Ido Magal @ 2011-08-03 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Bolduc; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm in the same boat. I found that Nebulous Notes is a suitable plain text
editor. I enter data into a inbox.org on dropbox and refile them when back
at a desktop.

I'd easily pay for an ios or web text editor that had rudimentary org syntax
support, such as collapsing drawers and indenting headings.

@ 2011-08-03 23:50 ` Tom Short
From: Tom Short @ 2011-08-03 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Bolduc; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Carl Bolduc <carlbolduc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now, I am tempted by the many great plaint text editor that exist in
> iOS. This way, I would get a great typing experience but I would lose the
> ability to perform actions on the text until I get back to the PC.
> Is anyone in a similar situation? What are your solutions/workarounds?

If you're willing to jailbreak, you could look at this link for emacs
compiled for the iphone/ipad. I haven't tried it.

http://gamma-level.com/cydia/info

See here for more:

http://gamma-level.com/iphoneos/ports/emacs
http://gamma-level.com/iphoneos/ports/environment

* Editing Org files on the iPad
@ 2011-08-04  1:30   ` Carl Bolduc
From: Carl Bolduc @ 2011-08-04  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ido Magal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Nebulous Notes has a customizable additional keyboard row for useful
characters (*[]_...) and/or macros. It does not do syntax highlighting and
folding but it's already much better than anything else.