From: "Daniel J. Sinder" <daniel@sindercity.com>
To: Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: remember template is slow
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:47:52 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Daniel J. Sinder" <daniel@sindercity.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Buck Brody <buckbrody@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >     I'm finding that my remember templates are slow to load.  I've got
> >     a lag of about three to four seconds.  I know that doesn't sound
> >     like much, but it's kind of puts a kink
>
> What does "remember templates are slow to load" mean in this context?
> You mean when you want to enter any new remember item or only the first
> one? Any delay is normally once only when org is initialised.
>
> Another thing to look at which crucified my erc (irc client for emacs)
> performance was flyspell - I had to remove it from my erc setup.
>
> >     in the workflow.  I use GNU emacs on Windows.  I also have cygwin
> installed, and I have noticed that the problem doesn't occur when using
> cygwin.  Any ideas?
> >
> > For what it's worth, I've also had this problem for a while now.
> However, I *do* use emacs w/ cygwin:
> > Windows XP (w/ Cygwin)
> > GNU Emacs 23.2.1
> > Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.453.g0cd4)
> >
> > I suspect (for no particular reason other than disdain for Windows) that
> it is related to poor file system (NTFS) access speeds.  For example, maybe
> org is trying to open
> > several files to look for TODO keywords and/or tags?
>
> What makes you think ntfs would be a bottle neck? Bringing religious
> wars into help discussions is rarely productive and better kept to the
> advocacy groups ;) People use org on pretty much all mainstream OSen.
>

> > Dan

Actually, I should have been more explicit -- I use emacs and org
*exclusively* on Windows (via cygwin).  In fact, for years now, I
exclusively use Windows as far as operating systems go.  However, not being
an OS expert, but just a user, I am frequently frustrated by file access
speeds.  I have heard (just water-cooler talk) that as the registry gets
bloated over time, NTFS file access slows, having something to do with
frequent checks of the registry prior to file access.  Originally, I didn't
feel I understood the issue well enough to claim this as a legitimate reason
in this forum.  But, seeing your (over)reaction, perhaps I should have
explained myself better.

Did I bring a religious war into the discussion?  No, I most certainly did
not.  I didn't mention any other OS's, nor make comparisons between OS's.
Rather, I suggested a possible cause (slow NTFS file access) for the problem
that others and myself are seeing with org on Windows.  I followed that with
a question about whether org is trying to open several files when calling
remember, to see if that would lead to a proper diagnosis of the problem.

How did you contribute to the conversation?  I didn't bring up OS
comparisons -- you did!  Now I know org is used on all OSen.  Thanks!  If
you have nothing to contribute to this topic, and can't help solve my
problem, then I suggest you reserve your accusations for an appropriate
forum.

Dan