On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Richard Riley wrote: > "Daniel J. Sinder" writes: > > > On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Buck Brody wrote: > > > > I'm finding that my remember templates are slow to load. I've got > > a lag of about three to four seconds. I know that doesn't sound > > like much, but it's kind of puts a kink > > What does "remember templates are slow to load" mean in this context? > You mean when you want to enter any new remember item or only the first > one? Any delay is normally once only when org is initialised. > > Another thing to look at which crucified my erc (irc client for emacs) > performance was flyspell - I had to remove it from my erc setup. > > > in the workflow. I use GNU emacs on Windows. I also have cygwin > installed, and I have noticed that the problem doesn't occur when using > cygwin. Any ideas? > > > > For what it's worth, I've also had this problem for a while now. > However, I *do* use emacs w/ cygwin: > > Windows XP (w/ Cygwin) > > GNU Emacs 23.2.1 > > Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.453.g0cd4) > > > > I suspect (for no particular reason other than disdain for Windows) that > it is related to poor file system (NTFS) access speeds. For example, maybe > org is trying to open > > several files to look for TODO keywords and/or tags? > > What makes you think ntfs would be a bottle neck? Bringing religious > wars into help discussions is rarely productive and better kept to the > advocacy groups ;) People use org on pretty much all mainstream OSen. > > > > > Dan > > Actually, I should have been more explicit -- I use emacs and org *exclusively* on Windows (via cygwin). In fact, for years now, I exclusively use Windows as far as operating systems go. However, not being an OS expert, but just a user, I am frequently frustrated by file access speeds. I have heard (just water-cooler talk) that as the registry gets bloated over time, NTFS file access slows, having something to do with frequent checks of the registry prior to file access. Originally, I didn't feel I understood the issue well enough to claim this as a legitimate reason in this forum. But, seeing your (over)reaction, perhaps I should have explained myself better. Did I bring a religious war into the discussion? No, I most certainly did not. I didn't mention any other OS's, nor make comparisons between OS's. Rather, I suggested a possible cause (slow NTFS file access) for the problem that others and myself are seeing with org on Windows. I followed that with a question about whether org is trying to open several files when calling remember, to see if that would lead to a proper diagnosis of the problem. How did you contribute to the conversation? I didn't bring up OS comparisons -- you did! Now I know org is used on all OSen. Thanks! If you have nothing to contribute to this topic, and can't help solve my problem, then I suggest you reserve your accusations for an appropriate forum. Dan