* blogging from org-mode
@ 2008-03-17  6:06 Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-03-17  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey list,

  I am trying to set up a blog page on my website and I would prefer to
  use org-mode for that. I wonder what are the features provided by
  blorg and org-blog.el and which is better and actively maintained.

  I have tried both
  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/org-blogging.html and
  http://dto.freeshell.org/e/org-blog.el but they seem to be down.

Thank you !
Cezar

* Re: blogging from org-mode
@ 2008-03-18 23:27 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-03-18 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Cezar Halmagean" <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

>   I am trying to set up a blog page on my website and I would prefer to
>   use org-mode for that. I wonder what are the features provided by
>   blorg and org-blog.el and which is better and actively maintained.
>
>   I have tried both
>   http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/org-blogging.html and

This page is outdated.

Check blorg on this page instead:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/blorg.php

I know some people are using blorg successfully.
I can't compare with org-blog.el since I've never used it.

In any case, a blog engine for Org is really *hot* on the to-do list.
This week is a bit crazy for me since I'm moving out (from London to
Paris) but I've not given up the work on this.

HTH,

--
Bastien

* Re: blogging from org-mode
@ 2008-03-19 18:05   ` Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-03-19 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Check blorg on this page instead:
>
>   http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/blorg.php
>
> I know some people are using blorg successfully.
> I can't compare with org-blog.el since I've never used it.
>
> In any case, a blog engine for Org is really *hot* on the to-do list.
> This week is a bit crazy for me since I'm moving out (from London to
> Paris) but I've not given up the work on this.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Bastien

Hey Bastien, I am trying to set up blorg but I cannot find where to set
the host (where to upload the files) or doesn't it handle the uploads ?

Also I think the link from org-mode homepage to blorg is broken too.

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: Re: blogging from org-mode
@ 2008-03-20 10:04     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-20 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ave Cesar,

"Cezar Halmagean" <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

> Hey Bastien, I am trying to set up blorg but I cannot find where to set
> the host (where to upload the files) or doesn't it handle the uploads?

It does.  Look at the section about the header in the documentation:

  http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/blorg.html#The-header

The directives you need to know about are #+PUBLISH_DIR and
#+UPLOAD_DIR.  Hope you can find your way through this...

> Also I think the link from org-mode homepage to blorg is broken too.

You mean the link in org-mode documentation?  I have created a symbolic
link to the right one:

@ 2008-03-20 16:47       ` Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-03-20 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Ave Cesar,
>
> "Cezar Halmagean" <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:
>
>> Hey Bastien, I am trying to set up blorg but I cannot find where to set
>> the host (where to upload the files) or doesn't it handle the uploads?
>
> It does.  Look at the section about the header in the documentation:
>
>   http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/blorg.html#The-header
>
> The directives you need to know about are #+PUBLISH_DIR and
> #+UPLOAD_DIR.  Hope you can find your way through this...

The docs don't say anything about uploading to a server, ssh/ftp !?

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: Re: blogging from org-mode
@ 2008-03-20 18:20         ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-03-20 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

,----[ (info "(blorg)The header") ]

`----

#+PUBLISH_DIR: /ftp:you@server.org:/home/you/public_html/
#+PUBLISH_DIR: /ssh:you@server.org:/home/you/public_html/

--
Bastien

* Re: blogging from org-mode
@ 2008-03-20 18:52           ` Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-03-20 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> "Cezar Halmagean" <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:
>
>> The docs don't say anything about uploading to a server, ssh/ftp !?
>
> ,----[ (info "(blorg)The header") ]
> | #+TITLE, #+BLOG_URL*, #+PUBLISH_DIR*
> |
> |     These keywords are mandatory. They respectively define the title of
> |     the blog, the full URL of the blog (as publicly available from the
> |     web) and the server directory where to upload files.
> `----
>
> #+PUBLISH_DIR: /ftp:you@server.org:/home/you/public_html/
> #+PUBLISH_DIR: /ssh:you@server.org:/home/you/public_html/

Thank you ! For some reason I couldn't see that.

Cezar

* Blogging from org-mode
@ 2011-01-16 20:57 Tom Breton (Tehom)
From: Tom Breton (Tehom) @ 2011-01-16 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Some months back I contributed improvements to org-html.  My intent was to
make it easy to post org files as blog posts.

So this is a sort of delayed announcement.  There are two packages that
post to blogs from org-mode: My org2blog/atom and Puneesh's (punchagan's)
org2blog/wp.  I know there are also blog hosts based on org-mode, but
that's different.  This is pushing org files to a "normal" blog host such
as Blogger (for org2blog/atom) or Wordpress (org2blog/wp)

org2blog/atom lives in the git repo http://repo.or.cz/r/org2blog.git and
org2blog/wp lives in https://github.com/punchagan/org2blog.git

Both respect the normal export options (#+TITLE: etc) but other than that
the approaches are fairly different.

Please tell me if I've missed any other org-based blogging software (other
than the blog hosting software which is a different category).

	Tom Breton (Tehom)

* Re: Blogging from org-mode
@ 2011-01-16 22:59 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-16 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Breton (Tehom); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2011-01-16, Tom Breton (Tehom) <tehom@panix.com> wrote:
> Please tell me if I've missed any other org-based blogging software (other
> than the blog hosting software which is a different category).

Right, there are hosted blogs (like Blogger) and self-hosted blogs
(where you run the software).

Here is the latest version of my Blogger command.

I wrote it for these reasons:

  1) should work with all recent versions of Emacs including 22
  2) works on subtrees (not files)
  3) does not require any downloads of Google software (self-contained)
  4) handles H levels correctly
  5) uses subtree top level headline as a title
  6) shows you the HTML
  7) doesn't include stuff I don't want there (author etc.)

The only change I would make, but cannot do for health
reasons, is to make it work with mail2blogger.

I would be delighted if there were some other protocol that
it could use.

Could your API work to send the result to Blogger?  If so,
how?  Do you have to sign up with Google in some special way
or does it work just through the web?

Thanks.

Samuel

(defun alpha-org-blog-subtree ()
  "Copy the subtree, converted to HTML, for pasting into Blogger
as a blog post.

No other software needs to be installed.

===

For an example of this code in action, see
http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/ .

You have to turn off Blogger's conversion of newline to br tags
in two places.  This requires the new editor.

mail2blogger is a very intriguing option here and I'd like to do
that.  Avoids the web entirely.  See comments.

To display the results in a browser, use M-x browse-url-of-buffer
.

No temporary file is created.

===

Mark pages (About, Contribute, etc.) with the tag, :page:.  This
will remove the top headline.  The reason is that Blogger pages
always include the title as the name of the page and it looks
silly to have two titles.

===

You should turn off Blogger's showing of titles.

Turning off the titles has one convenience: you don't have to
enter it manually.  It also has one drawback: people who link to
your post by copying that link cannot do so (they can get it from
other places, including the URL bar and Archives in the sidebar).
Perhaps mail2blogger will fix that by letting you set the title
by email subject.

Of course you can manually enter the title.  In which case
use :page:.

===

I use Blogger.com instead of Wordpress.com because it appears to
have a better attitude toward accessibility.
"
  (interactive)

;;; todo list
;;;
;;; === mail2blogger ===
;;;
;;; I tried using mail2blogger, but the HTML got posted.  There might
;;; be a way to fix this.  How do you do an HTML email in a format
;;; that gets recognized as HTML?
;;;
;;; We want to use raw programmatic email, such as sent using msmtp
;;; or the built-in Emacs client.  The ability to do so will obviate
;;; the need to use Google's command line client or to run Emacs 23.
;;;
;;; This is the next thing to try.  Patch welcome.  I have no idea
;;; how to do it.
;;;
;;; ===
;;;
;;; Another good thing to try would be to automate grabbing the source from
;;; the page automatically to compare what you just created with ediff or
;;; git diff --color-words.  This is for edits.
;;;
;;; Also, export whole blog before each post for git.  Requires post
;;; method maybe.  How to do that?
;;;
;;; Also, check for fixmes.  (Or org could check for fixmes before
;;; all export.  Is there a hook?)
;;;
;;; Also, remind you to extract big chunks of comments for possible ohter
;;; blog entries.
;;;
;;; /Also, remind you to make sure all links work and review formatting/.
;;;
;;; ===
;;;
;;; Is there HTML for a title?  I will guess not.

  (save-excursion
    ;;say about to publish editing or about to publish post.  with
    ;;mail2blogger, we can automate this and assume publish.
    ;;
    ;;technically, this should be later in case you kill something inside
    ;;the note.
    ;;
    ;;(let ((k kill-ring))
    ;;(let ((c (car kill-ring)))
    (org-add-note)
    ;;
    ;;could add sugu here.  donekeep or tag should be done manually.
    ;;
    ;;how do we want blogs to sort?  probably donekeep.  probably not by
    ;;latest edit but by publish.

    ;;i have an issue with "--", which is perfect for emdash in ascii, but
    ;;gets converted to endash in html.  i'd like it to be emdash in html.
    ;;is there an option for that?
    ;;
    ;;if not, we have to replace -- with --- somehow here before exporting.
    ;;that requires a temporary buffer.

    ;;org converts headlines to html h numbers according to the level in the
    ;;org file, not the level in the region.  i prefer the latter.
    ;;
    ;;kludge it.
    ;;
    ;;for a blog we want it to start with delta 0 = h1.  delta 1 respects
    ;;the variable.
    ;;
    ;;for some reason, blogger does not format h2 bold on firefox.  so h3
    ;;looks bigger?  if so, do delta 2.  css wizards please weigh in on this.
    (let ((delta 2))
      (outline-mark-subtree)
      (when (member "page" (org-get-tags))
        ;;remove title
        (forward-line 1)
        ;;might be nice to add hr here
        ;;we will start with the first headilne's title
        (decf delta))
      (switch-to-buffer
       (let ((org-export-html-toplevel-hlevel
              (+ delta (- org-export-html-toplevel-hlevel
                          (org-reduced-level (org-current-level)))))
             (org-export-headline-levels
              (+ delta (- org-export-headline-levels
                          (org-reduced-level (org-current-level)))))
             org-export-with-tags
             org-export-with-todo-keywords
             org-export-with-timestamps
             ;;note: priority must be after todo kw for export
             ;;already nil org-export-with-priority
             )
         (org-export-region-as-html (region-beginning)
                                    (region-end)
                                    ;;seems to erase, which we want
                                    (get-buffer-create
                                     ;;this should work if it is a *buffer*
                                     ;;but some might prefer html mode.
                                     ;;this does not save to a file unless
                                     ;;you do.
                                     "alpha-org-blog-subtree.html")))

       ;;one drawback is it leaves spaces around text.  like "tag> text".  there
       ;;might be other drawbacks.
       ;;(hoka-unfill-region-special (point-min) (point-max))
       ;;(goto-char (point-min))
       ;;this does not work because it will join lines with no space in between;
       ;;we have to actually fill paragraphs.
;;;   (while (search-forward "\n" nil t)
;;;     (replace-match ""))
;;;   (insert "\n")
       ;;unnec if blogger knows to treat whitespace as insignificant
;;;   (goto-char (point-min))
;;;   (delete-matching-lines "^$")
       (kill-ring-save (point-min) (point-max))))))

I support WPI: http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/index.html -- PLEASE DONATE
===
I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MLV paper.
 -- [[file:~/Desktop/K/kpc/org/todo-new--a.org]]

* Re: Blogging from org-mode
@ 2011-01-17  2:25   ` Tom Breton (Tehom)
From: Tom Breton (Tehom) @ 2011-01-17  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Tom Breton (Tehom)

> On 2011-01-16, Tom Breton (Tehom) <tehom@panix.com> wrote:
>> Please tell me if I've missed any other org-based blogging software
>> (other
>> than the blog hosting software which is a different category).
>
> Right, there are hosted blogs (like Blogger) and self-hosted blogs
> (where you run the software).
>
> Here is the latest version of my Blogger command.

Interesting.

> I would be delighted if there were some other protocol that
> it could use.

Feel free to play with org2blog/atom, and there's a "mob" user on the repo
if you feel like contributing.

> Could your API work to send the result to Blogger?  If so,
> how?  Do you have to sign up with Google in some special way
> or does it work just through the web?

Yes, and you don't have to do anything special on Google.  It uses the
Atom API thru g-client (elisp software by T V Raman), which is what drags
in the curl and xsltproc dependencies.  Those are not special Google
software, but they are non-elisp, non-emacs programs.

My philosophy is to make a package do one thing well.  But it leads to
dependencies.

Please let me know if you have any trouble obtaining the g-client version
that supports this.

> mail2blogger is a very intriguing option here and I'd like to do
> that.  Avoids the web entirely.  See comments.

I tried out mailing to blogger before writing org2blog/atom, but I was
frustrated by the things the mail interface couldn't do.

> Mark pages (About, Contribute, etc.) with the tag, :page:.  This
> will remove the top headline.  The reason is that Blogger pages
> always include the title as the name of the page and it looks
> silly to have two titles.

Right, it does and it does.  I'd be interested in a neat solution for
double-titling.  Right now I just let org2blog/atom export both.

	Tom Breton (Tehom)

* Re: Blogging from org-mode
@ 2011-01-17 19:13 ` Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2011-01-17 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Breton (Tehom); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Tom Breton (Tehom) <tehom@panix.com> wrote:

> Some months back I contributed improvements to org-html.  My intent was to
> make it easy to post org files as blog posts.
>
> So this is a sort of delayed announcement.  There are two packages that
> post to blogs from org-mode: My org2blog/atom and Puneesh's (punchagan's)
> org2blog/wp.  I know there are also blog hosts based on org-mode, but
> that's different.  This is pushing org files to a "normal" blog host such
> as Blogger (for org2blog/atom) or Wordpress (org2blog/wp)
>
> org2blog/atom lives in the git repo http://repo.or.cz/r/org2blog.git and
> org2blog/wp lives in https://github.com/punchagan/org2blog.git
>
> Both respect the normal export options (#+TITLE: etc) but other than that
> the approaches are fairly different.
>
> Please tell me if I've missed any other org-based blogging software (other
> than the blog hosting software which is a different category).

I wrote org-jekyll a while back to export a blog to jekyll,

http://juanreyero.com/open/org-jekyll/index.html

From the doc:

" Extracts subtrees from your org-publish project files that have
  a :blog: keyword and an :on: property with a timestamp, and
  exports them to a subdirectory _posts of your project's
  publishing directory in the year-month-day-title.html format
  that Jekyll expects.  Properties are passed over as yaml
  front-matter in the exported files.  The title of the entry is
  the title of the subtree."

I've been happily using it for more than a year.

jm
--
http://juanreyero.com/
http://alandair.com

* Re: Blogging from org-mode
@ 2011-01-17 19:39     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-17 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Breton (Tehom); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2011-01-16, Tom Breton (Tehom) <tehom@panix.com> wrote:
> Feel free to play with org2blog/atom, and there's a "mob" user on the repo
> if you feel like contributing.

Sounds great.  However. I am not likely to be able to do much with it,
such as tweaking it.  I don't know if it will work with 22.[1]

IMO ideally, we would have one tool that does everything your solution
does and everything mine does (on my list, such as subtrees, except
perhaps curl and xsltproc), and have it in contrib.  I guess g-client
would go there too by analogy with htmlize.

Then again, I suppose my solution only needs an API call if the
dependencies work.

> Please let me know if you have any trouble obtaining the g-client version
> that supports this.

Cannot go searching and testing now.[1]  But I like the idea of using
Atom very much and I hope your project gets some interest.

Samuel

[1] I would have to try it, which I can almost never do because all
computer use is physically painful.  Most people wouldn't notice the
difference but I find from experience that debugging, backporting,
testing, and installing are even more of a problem than email,
requiring more repetition than predicted and often being fruitless
despite being physically painful .  This is one reason why most of my
contributions to org are ideas not code.  I am very fortunate that
they often get implemented -- I think it's a sign of a really healthy
open source community that I can still contribute with ideas without
having to code.

@ 2011-01-17 20:03   ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2011-01-17 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Reyero; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Tom Breton (Tehom)

On 01/17/2011 01:13 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Tom Breton (Tehom) <tehom@panix.com
> <mailto:tehom@panix.com>> wrote:
>
>     Some months back I contributed improvements to org-html.  My intent was to
>     make it easy to post org files as blog posts.
>
>     So this is a sort of delayed announcement.  There are two packages that
>     post to blogs from org-mode: My org2blog/atom and Puneesh's (punchagan's)
>     org2blog/wp.  I know there are also blog hosts based on org-mode, but
>     that's different.  This is pushing org files to a "normal" blog host such
>     as Blogger (for org2blog/atom) or Wordpress (org2blog/wp)
>
>     org2blog/atom lives in the git repo http://repo.or.cz/r/org2blog.git and
>     org2blog/wp lives in https://github.com/punchagan/org2blog.git
>
>     Both respect the normal export options (#+TITLE: etc) but other than that
>     the approaches are fairly different.
>
>     Please tell me if I've missed any other org-based blogging software (other
>     than the blog hosting software which is a different category).
>

> I wrote org-jekyll a while back to export a blog to jekyll,
>
> http://juanreyero.com/open/org-jekyll/index.html

I also simply use weblogger.el (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WebloggerMode)
combined with a really easy function defined at
http://www.randomsample.de/dru5/node/77 to post to blogs including Drupal.
Weblogger.el is really nice because it lets you also edit existing entries in
Emacs.  Don't know if all the solutions above do the same.  This method also
allows you to use different blog systems than Drupal, I believe any that support
XMLRPC updates, including Blogger, Drupal, Wordpress, ...

* Re: Blogging from org-mode
@ 2011-01-17 21:02     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-17 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Tom Breton (Tehom), emacs-orgmode

On 2011-01-17, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:
> I also simply use weblogger.el
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WebloggerMode)

I made the mistake of trying this, thinking it had no dependencies
other than the other .el file so would be easier.  It looks
potentially useful.

I looked at 2 versions of this, and both had the same version number,
but the code was different.  That's a slightly bad sign.

  http://launchpadlibrarian.net/40758914/weblogger.el
  http://windows-config.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/.emacs_d/weblogger/weblogger.el

Also, there is a compiler warning for obsolete variable, so the code
might be old?

Finally, I couldn't figure out the basics.  Just to confirm, this
takes HTML and posts it?  It does not make this clear.

It would help if we had a table of what each package does.  I hope my
code was clear on what it does.

> combined with a really easy function defined at
> http://www.randomsample.de/dru5/node/77 to post to blogs including Drupal.

What does your really easy function do that weblogger.el does not do?

Thanks.

Samuel

@ 2011-01-17 21:28       ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2011-01-17 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Tom Breton (Tehom), emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On 01/17/2011 03:02 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:
> On 2011-01-17, Erik Iverson<eriki@ccbr.umn.edu>  wrote:
>> I also simply use weblogger.el
>> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WebloggerMode)
>
> I made the mistake of trying this, thinking it had no dependencies
> other than the other .el file so would be easier.  It looks
> potentially useful.
>
> I looked at 2 versions of this, and both had the same version number,
> but the code was different.  That's a slightly bad sign.
>
>    http://launchpadlibrarian.net/40758914/weblogger.el
>    http://windows-config.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/.emacs_d/weblogger/weblogger.el
>
> Also, there is a compiler warning for obsolete variable, so the code
> might be old?
>
> Finally, I couldn't figure out the basics.  Just to confirm, this
> takes HTML and posts it?  It does not make this clear.

Yes, you can set up a blog by first doing:

     M-x weblogger-setup-weblog RET

But there were some quirks when I tried this with Drupal 6. I think I had to
have at least one post already in the blog before it worked. But after that, I
was able to weblogger with the function defined in the link below to post to
Drupal.

>> combined with a really easy function defined at
>> http://www.randomsample.de/dru5/node/77 to post to blogs including Drupal.
>
> What does your really easy function do that weblogger.el does not do?

Weblogger just sends the HTML to the blog, and lets you edit existing entries.
It does not produce the actual HTML.

The function from randomsample.de exports an Org-mode buffer to HTML and
"massages" the HTML output to be of a form that blogs like. I.e., gets rid of
the headers.  Weblogger has nothing to do with org-mode per se, it just lets you
post content to blogs that support XMLRPC.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes, so I hope it helps. This method isn't
completely clean, but it did work for me with Drupal 6 (but haven't gotten it to
work yet in Drupal 7...)

As usual, there's more than a few ways to do things, so the more options the
better in my opinion.

* Re: Blogging from org-mode
@ 2011-01-18  3:46         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-18  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Tom Breton (Tehom), emacs-orgmode

OK, weblogger seems like it might be worth trying to integrate (not
that the Atom idea is bad -- that also is interesting).

A little disturbing about this
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/emacsweblogs/2010-03/msg00044.html
but I am conservative about bugs.