* Request: Move org-eww from contrib to core
@ 2016-08-06 18:13 Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2016-08-06 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Given that the coming release of emacs 25 ships with the eww browser, I
think it would be worthwhile to make org-eww.el a core org-mode module.
I have been using eww instead of emacs-w3m for some time now with no
problems. Since org ships with support for emacs-w3m, an external
package, it seems to makes sense also to support eww, the built-in
browser.

I noticed that Marco Wahl, the author of org-eww.el, is on the
contributors list, so, if I understand correctly, there shouldn't be
copyright issues.

Matt

* Re: Request: Move org-eww from contrib to core
@ 2016-08-08  9:37 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-08-08  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Marco Wahl, Org Mode

Hello,

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Given that the coming release of emacs 25 ships with the eww browser, I
> think it would be worthwhile to make org-eww.el a core org-mode module.
> I have been using eww instead of emacs-w3m for some time now with no
> problems. Since org ships with support for emacs-w3m, an external
> package, it seems to makes sense also to support eww, the built-in
> browser.

In this case, we need to add a mechanism to throw an error when this
module is loaded without Eww being available. As a reminder, Org 9 still
supports Emacs 24.3.

> I noticed that Marco Wahl, the author of org-eww.el, is on the
> contributors list, so, if I understand correctly, there shouldn't be
> copyright issues.

There could be if we integrated patches from people without FSF
assignment. I didn't check, but I don't think it happened though.

If Marco Wahl (Cc'ed) agrees and the change above is made, we could
indeed add the module to core.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Request: Move org-eww from contrib to core
@ 2016-08-08 20:12   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2016-08-08 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Given that the coming release of emacs 25 ships with the eww browser, I
>> think it would be worthwhile to make org-eww.el a core org-mode module.
>> I have been using eww instead of emacs-w3m for some time now with no
>> problems. Since org ships with support for emacs-w3m, an external
>> package, it seems to makes sense also to support eww, the built-in
>> browser.
>
> In this case, we need to add a mechanism to throw an error when this
> module is loaded without Eww being available. As a reminder, Org 9 still
> supports Emacs 24.3.
>
>> I noticed that Marco Wahl, the author of org-eww.el, is on the
>> contributors list, so, if I understand correctly, there shouldn't be
>> copyright issues.
>
> There could be if we integrated patches from people without FSF
> assignment. I didn't check, but I don't think it happened though.

In 2014 I signed the assignment for Emacs (946878).

(Just curious: is there a public list containing all the assignments?
Found nothing after duckduckgoing for 5 minutes.)

> If Marco Wahl (Cc'ed) agrees and the change above is made, we could
> indeed add the module to core.

Agreed.  Of course feel free to apply the changes you have in mind and
possibly go beyond.

Best regards,
--
Marco
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2

* Re: Request: Move org-eww from contrib to core
@ 2016-08-09  9:41     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-08-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
>> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>>
>>> Given that the coming release of emacs 25 ships with the eww browser, I
>>> think it would be worthwhile to make org-eww.el a core org-mode module.
>>> I have been using eww instead of emacs-w3m for some time now with no
>>> problems. Since org ships with support for emacs-w3m, an external
>>> package, it seems to makes sense also to support eww, the built-in
>>> browser.
>>
>> In this case, we need to add a mechanism to throw an error when this
>> module is loaded without Eww being available. As a reminder, Org 9 still
>> supports Emacs 24.3.
>>
>>> I noticed that Marco Wahl, the author of org-eww.el, is on the
>>> contributors list, so, if I understand correctly, there shouldn't be
>>> copyright issues.
>>
>> There could be if we integrated patches from people without FSF
>> assignment. I didn't check, but I don't think it happened though.
>
> In 2014 I signed the assignment for Emacs (946878).
>
> (Just curious: is there a public list containing all the assignments?
> Found nothing after duckduckgoing for 5 minutes.)

No. If you have a Fencepost login you can access the list.

Org keeps a public list on Worg, though.

    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

Rasmus

--
Enough with the blah blah!

* Re: Request: Move org-eww from contrib to core
@ 2016-08-20  1:02     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-08-20  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> Agreed.  Of course feel free to apply the changes you have in mind and
> possibly go beyond.

Done.

Nicolas Goaziou