From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: mixed orgmode installation
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 20:39:54 +0200	[thread overview]

John Hendy writes:
> I'm with you so far. But if all of Org lives in /path/to/org.git/lisp,
> what's to go wrong if it's there vs. /system/path/site-lisp?

It is only "there" when you've built Org and whenever you do something
in Git, it's "gone", only that you might not see that.  Having Org
installed in some other place decouples it from what you do in the work
tree.  That makes it less likely that you load up an Emacs session, do
something in Org, then do something in Git and then go back to sour
Emacs session and load some other parts of Org that won't fit with the
version you've started with.

> I'm not sure I follow this one. Does `make up2` look for changed paths
> (contrib/lisp vs lisp/) since the last `make up2` ? If not, how would
> I know to do `make clean-install` vs. just `make install`?

You should know if you changed something, I suppose.

> I'm talking about your original comment that running out of a git repo
> can lead to:
> - it being just to easy to mess up with the autoloads

Yes, if you forget to re-make them after a change to the source code.

> - have stale byte-compiled files I forgot about somewhere

Yes, because Emacs prefers the byte-compiled files over the sources,
even when it knows the sources are newer.  So when you update from Git,
but don't byte-compile, you will load an older version of Org rather
than the one you think you are using.  If you are running from a Git
tree, you should always keep Org uncompiled for this reason (that's why
that make target exists).

> P.S. And yes, I derailed from the mixed install case due to your
> comment as I thought it was worth looking into. I'm doing what you
> advise against and I wanted to know the risks and more details about
> what I might run into.

You can do whatever you want as long as you can deal with the resulting
problems.  Depending on how careful you are you may never encounter one,
but the most frequent reasons for mixed installs are forgetting to
generate the autoload files or using an init sequence that loads Org
from two different places.

Regards,
Achim.