* Emacs mobile org
@ 2018-09-09 23:46 M. P.
From: M. P. @ 2018-09-09 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello I am running emacs on a mac I have a galaxy s8 android phone. I am wanting to sync my phone with emacs on my computer.
	I would prefer not to use a cloud service but instead use something like a usb or ther to sync with.

* Re: Emacs mobile org
@ 2018-09-10  1:43 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-09-10  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. P.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 7:53 PM M. P. <wintermute24x7@icloud.com> wrote:

> Hello I am running emacs on a mac I have a galaxy s8 android phone. I am
> wanting to sync my phone with emacs on my computer.
>         I would prefer not to use a cloud service but instead use
> something like a usb or ther to sync with.

So, what is the question? :)

Looking at just "Org" and "Android phone", I can suggest the Orgzly app.

It can sync notes to a directory on your phone, and you can sync that dir
to your computer via USB if you like (I like the Dropbox sync option).
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Emacs mobile org
@ 2018-09-10  7:46   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2018-09-10  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, M. P.

On 2018-09-09 21:43, Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 7:53 PM M. P. <wintermute24x7@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello I am running emacs on a mac I have a galaxy s8 android phone. I am
>> wanting to sync my phone with emacs on my computer.
>>         I would prefer not to use a cloud service but instead use
>> something like a usb or ther to sync with.
>>

> So, what is the question? :)
>
> Looking at just "Org" and "Android phone", I can suggest the Orgzly app.
>
> It can sync notes to a directory on your phone, and you can sync that dir
> to your computer via USB if you like (I like the Dropbox sync option).

I use orgzly, and it works great with syncthing https://syncthing.net/

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2018-08: 406.99, 2017-08: 405.07

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs mobile org
@ 2018-09-10  9:17     ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2018-09-10  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Alan Schmitt, Kaushal Modi; +Cc: M. P.

On 10 September 2018 08:46:41 BST, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>On 2018-09-09 21:43, Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 7:53 PM M. P. <wintermute24x7@icloud.com>
>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello I am running emacs on a mac I have a galaxy s8 android phone.
>I am
>>> wanting to sync my phone with emacs on my computer.
>>>         I would prefer not to use a cloud service but instead use
>>> something like a usb or ther to sync with.
>>>

>> So, what is the question? :)
>>
>> Looking at just "Org" and "Android phone", I can suggest the Orgzly
>app.
>>
>> It can sync notes to a directory on your phone, and you can sync that
>dir
>> to your computer via USB if you like (I like the Dropbox sync
>option).
>
>I use orgzly, and it works great with syncthing https://syncthing.net/
>
>Best,
>
>Alan

I also use orgzly, with my own scripting for syncing against a git repo on bitbucket.

Regards - Neil

* Re: Emacs mobile org
@ 2018-09-10  9:41     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-09-10  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: M. P., emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

On 2018-09-10, at 09:46, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> I use orgzly, and it works great with syncthing https://syncthing.net/

BTW, in my experience syncthing seems quite flaky.  I turn it on on both
the coputer and my phone, but I'm not sure what to do to start syncing.
Sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't (or takes a lot of time,
I'm not sure).  Any hints?  Is it possible to make the phone start
syncing manually?  (I'm almost sure that my problems stem from my
incompetence, hence the question.)

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Emacs mobile org
@ 2018-09-10 12:47       ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2018-09-10 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, Kaushal Modi, emacs-orgmode, M. P.

> On 2018-09-10, at 09:46, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>
>> I use orgzly, and it works great with syncthing https://syncthing.net/
>
> BTW, in my experience syncthing seems quite flaky.  I turn it on on both
> the coputer and my phone, but I'm not sure what to do to start syncing.
> Sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't (or takes a lot of time,
> I'm not sure).  Any hints?  Is it possible to make the phone start
> syncing manually?  (I'm almost sure that my problems stem from my
> incompetence, hence the question.)

There are actually some issues in android syncthing tracker about this.

my experience:

syncthing the protocol and the desktop versions works very solidly

the android version used to have an issue with timestamps, since on
android you can't (couldn't) (as a non-root user) set mod times.  I
think, but I'm not 100% sure, that there's now a sidecar cache so that
syncthing can store the mod times and have a virtual view where they are
as they should be, vs. having them at time of sync.  This has been a
non-issue for me for a long time now, but including it for completeness.

The big problem is the dreaded "run conditions".  Syncthing uses both
cpu and data, both of which are a problem on a phone.  There are
multiple modes; one is to sync only when opening the app.  The other is
to sync always, and then "sync only when charging" (means power applied
really) and "sync only on wifi".   So you can uncheck those to force it
to run, and maybe restart syncthing.   It tends to be a bit android
rom-specific how well it works.

So my advice is to go into syncthing on the phone, and if it tells you
"syncthing is configured not run, [exit] or [change settings], that's a
clue.  If not, you can look at the devices tab and see if it's
connected.  Also look at the dashboard on your desktop client.

https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-android/issues/1193

* Re: Emacs mobile org
@ 2018-09-10 13:05       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2018-09-10 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: M. P., emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

On 2018-09-10 11:41, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:

> On 2018-09-10, at 09:46, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>
>> I use orgzly, and it works great with syncthing https://syncthing.net/
>
> BTW, in my experience syncthing seems quite flaky.  I turn it on on both
> the coputer and my phone, but I'm not sure what to do to start syncing.
> Sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't (or takes a lot of time,
> I'm not sure).  Any hints?  Is it possible to make the phone start
> syncing manually?  (I'm almost sure that my problems stem from my
> incompetence, hence the question.)

One thing to make sure is that they run on the same network. But besides
this I have not much advice to give, as it just works here.

Best,

Alan

--

@ 2018-09-12 19:46         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-09-12 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: M. P., emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

On 2018-09-10, at 15:05, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> On 2018-09-10 11:41, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> On 2018-09-10, at 09:46, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I use orgzly, and it works great with syncthing https://syncthing.net/
>>
>> BTW, in my experience syncthing seems quite flaky.  I turn it on on both
>> the coputer and my phone, but I'm not sure what to do to start syncing.
>> Sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't (or takes a lot of time,
>> I'm not sure).  Any hints?  Is it possible to make the phone start
>> syncing manually?  (I'm almost sure that my problems stem from my
>> incompetence, hence the question.)
>
> One thing to make sure is that they run on the same network. But besides
> this I have not much advice to give, as it just works here.

Thanks, I'll be looking into this.

From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-09-12 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, Kaushal Modi, emacs-orgmode, M. P.

On 2018-09-10, at 14:47, Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> On 2018-09-10, at 09:46, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I use orgzly, and it works great with syncthing https://syncthing.net/
>>
>> BTW, in my experience syncthing seems quite flaky.  I turn it on on both
>> the coputer and my phone, but I'm not sure what to do to start syncing.
>> Sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't (or takes a lot of time,
>> I'm not sure).  Any hints?  Is it possible to make the phone start
>> syncing manually?  (I'm almost sure that my problems stem from my
>> incompetence, hence the question.)
>
> There are actually some issues in android syncthing tracker about this.
>
> my experience:
>
> syncthing the protocol and the desktop versions works very solidly
>
> the android version used to have an issue with timestamps, since on
> android you can't (couldn't) (as a non-root user) set mod times.  I
> think, but I'm not 100% sure, that there's now a sidecar cache so that
> syncthing can store the mod times and have a virtual view where they are
> as they should be, vs. having them at time of sync.  This has been a
> non-issue for me for a long time now, but including it for completeness.
>
> The big problem is the dreaded "run conditions".  Syncthing uses both
> cpu and data, both of which are a problem on a phone.  There are
> multiple modes; one is to sync only when opening the app.  The other is
> to sync always, and then "sync only when charging" (means power applied
> really) and "sync only on wifi".   So you can uncheck those to force it
> to run, and maybe restart syncthing.   It tends to be a bit android
> rom-specific how well it works.
>
> So my advice is to go into syncthing on the phone, and if it tells you
> "syncthing is configured not run, [exit] or [change settings], that's a
> clue.  If not, you can look at the devices tab and see if it's
> connected.  Also look at the dashboard on your desktop client.
>
> https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-android/issues/1193

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out!

--
Marcin Borkowski