From: Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com>
To: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
Cc: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org>,
	Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>,
	emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, "M. P." <wintermute24x7@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: Emacs mobile org
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 08:47:42 -0400	[thread overview]

> On 2018-09-10, at 09:46, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>
>> I use orgzly, and it works great with syncthing https://syncthing.net/
>
> BTW, in my experience syncthing seems quite flaky.  I turn it on on both
> the coputer and my phone, but I'm not sure what to do to start syncing.
> Sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't (or takes a lot of time,
> I'm not sure).  Any hints?  Is it possible to make the phone start
> syncing manually?  (I'm almost sure that my problems stem from my
> incompetence, hence the question.)

There are actually some issues in android syncthing tracker about this.

my experience:

syncthing the protocol and the desktop versions works very solidly

the android version used to have an issue with timestamps, since on
android you can't (couldn't) (as a non-root user) set mod times.  I
think, but I'm not 100% sure, that there's now a sidecar cache so that
syncthing can store the mod times and have a virtual view where they are
as they should be, vs. having them at time of sync.  This has been a
non-issue for me for a long time now, but including it for completeness.

The big problem is the dreaded "run conditions".  Syncthing uses both
cpu and data, both of which are a problem on a phone.  There are
multiple modes; one is to sync only when opening the app.  The other is
to sync always, and then "sync only when charging" (means power applied
really) and "sync only on wifi".   So you can uncheck those to force it
to run, and maybe restart syncthing.   It tends to be a bit android
rom-specific how well it works.

So my advice is to go into syncthing on the phone, and if it tells you
"syncthing is configured not run, [exit] or [change settings], that's a
clue.  If not, you can look at the devices tab and see if it's
connected.  Also look at the dashboard on your desktop client.

https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-android/issues/1193