* jumping from Agenda/Timeline to .org source file
@ 2017-03-01 12:28 uselpa
From: uselpa @ 2017-03-01 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I've been using org mode for several months now on my Mac without problems. Since most of what I do is for work I've tried using it on our company Windows 7 machines, using the official GNU Emacs 25.1
for Windows. Unfortunately, I've had a nagging issue both with the september and the november version:

When I jump from the Agenda-Timeline view to the source .org file, either with TAB, SPACE or by using the follow mode, Emacs will position me exactly *below* the source line in the org file (where the
scheduled date is). On macOS or Linux this does not happen, the cursor is on the task description. I've tried to work with different line endings on Windows to no avail.  Also, my org file and my Emacs config
are minimal and identical between macOS and Windows.

Is there a configuration setting I could change? Or is this a packaging issue with GNU Emacs?

Regards,
pu

(Please cc: me since I am not subscribed to the list)

From: uselpa @ 2017-03-01 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

* Re: jumping from Agenda/Timeline to .org source file
@ 2017-03-03  8:17 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2017-03-03  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uselpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2017-03-01 13:28, uselpa@internet.lu writes:

> When I jump from the Agenda-Timeline view to the source .org file,
> either with TAB, SPACE or by using the follow mode, Emacs will
> position me exactly *below* the source line in the org file (where the
> scheduled date is). On macOS or Linux this does not happen, the cursor
> is on the task description. I've tried to work with different line
> endings on Windows to no avail. Also, my org file and my Emacs config
> are minimal and identical between macOS and Windows.

I'm on macOS, and when I jump using <tab> I get to the headline.
However, when I jump using <enter> I end up on the SCHEDULED or DEADLINE
line.

I would also like to always end up on the headline.

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2017-01: 406.13, 2016-01: 402.52

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: jumping from Agenda/Timeline to .org source file
@ 2017-03-08 11:02 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]   ` <f5a37059cdb04043a6eae3e740e1eb0b@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-03-08 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: uselpa, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On 2017-03-01 13:28, uselpa@internet.lu writes:
>
>> When I jump from the Agenda-Timeline view to the source .org file,
>> either with TAB, SPACE or by using the follow mode, Emacs will
>> position me exactly *below* the source line in the org file (where the
>> scheduled date is). On macOS or Linux this does not happen, the cursor
>> is on the task description. I've tried to work with different line
>> endings on Windows to no avail. Also, my org file and my Emacs config
>> are minimal and identical between macOS and Windows.
>
> I'm on macOS, and when I jump using <tab> I get to the headline.
> However, when I jump using <enter> I end up on the SCHEDULED or DEADLINE
> line.
>
> I would also like to always end up on the headline.

TAB and RET are bound to two different functions. Since both behaviours
may be useful, I don't see any incentive to "fix" anything. You could
bind RET to `org-agenda-goto', or is there anything I am missing?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: jumping from Agenda/Timeline to .org source file
@ 2017-03-08 12:55   ` Alan Schmitt
       [not found]   ` <f5a37059cdb04043a6eae3e740e1eb0b@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2017-03-08 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: uselpa, emacs-orgmode

On 2017-03-08 12:02, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 2017-03-01 13:28, uselpa@internet.lu writes:
>>
>>> When I jump from the Agenda-Timeline view to the source .org file,
>>> either with TAB, SPACE or by using the follow mode, Emacs will
>>> position me exactly *below* the source line in the org file (where the
>>> scheduled date is). On macOS or Linux this does not happen, the cursor
>>> is on the task description. I've tried to work with different line
>>> endings on Windows to no avail. Also, my org file and my Emacs config
>>> are minimal and identical between macOS and Windows.
>>
>> I'm on macOS, and when I jump using <tab> I get to the headline.
>> However, when I jump using <enter> I end up on the SCHEDULED or DEADLINE
>> line.
>>
>> I would also like to always end up on the headline.
>
> TAB and RET are bound to two different functions. Since both behaviours
> may be useful, I don't see any incentive to "fix" anything. You could
> bind RET to `org-agenda-goto', or is there anything I am missing?

I would like to use `org-agenda-goto', but without splitting the frame.
In other words, I want to destination to be the one of
`org-agenda-goto', but the window handling to be the one of
`org-agenda-switch-to'.

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2017-02: 406.42, 2016-02: 404.04

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: jumping from Agenda/Timeline to .org source file
@ 2017-03-08 20:56     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2017-03-08 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt, emacs-orgmode

tangentially, jumping to org from agenda almost always or always puts
a pointless ellipsis at the top of the window for me.

in case it's relevant to tangential changes.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

The NIH, FDA, and CDC are not there for you.  Not without activism.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." ---
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>.

@ 2017-03-09  7:23     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-03-09  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  8 Mar 2017 at 12:55, Alan Schmitt wrote:

[...]

> I would like to use `org-agenda-goto', but without splitting the frame.
> In other words, I want to destination to be the one of
> `org-agenda-goto', but the window handling to be the one of
> `org-agenda-switch-to'.

You could "advice" (advise in English :-) org-agenda-goto to delete other
windows after invocation?

Or, create a new function which invokes org-agenda-goto and then
delete-other-windows and bind that to the key you want?

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: jumping from Agenda/Timeline to .org source file
@ 2017-03-09 12:34       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2017-03-09 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Eric,

On 2017-03-09 07:23, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wednesday,  8 Mar 2017 at 12:55, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I would like to use `org-agenda-goto', but without splitting the frame.
>> In other words, I want to destination to be the one of
>> `org-agenda-goto', but the window handling to be the one of
>> `org-agenda-switch-to'.
>
> You could "advice" (advise in English :-) org-agenda-goto to delete other
> windows after invocation?
>
> Or, create a new function which invokes org-agenda-goto and then
> delete-other-windows and bind that to the key you want?

Yes, these are solutions. I was just trying to understand why the
functions had different behaviors.

Thanks,

Alan

--

@ 2017-03-18  9:55         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-03-18  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hello Eric,
>
> On 2017-03-09 07:23, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Wednesday,  8 Mar 2017 at 12:55, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I would like to use `org-agenda-goto', but without splitting the frame.
>>> In other words, I want to destination to be the one of
>>> `org-agenda-goto', but the window handling to be the one of
>>> `org-agenda-switch-to'.
>>
>> You could "advice" (advise in English :-) org-agenda-goto to delete other
>> windows after invocation?
>>
>> Or, create a new function which invokes org-agenda-goto and then
>> delete-other-windows and bind that to the key you want?
>
> Yes, these are solutions. I was just trying to understand why the
> functions had different behaviors.

I tried the same, without much success.

I think we could factor out both functions into a single one with
a control argument.

Any taker?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: jumping from Agenda/Timeline to .org source file
@ 2017-09-13 10:39 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-13 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uselpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

uselpa@internet.lu writes:

> I've been using org mode for several months now on my Mac without
> problems. Since most of what I do is for work I've tried using it on
> our company Windows 7 machines, using the official GNU Emacs 25.1
> for Windows. Unfortunately, I've had a nagging issue both with the september and the november version:
>
> When I jump from the Agenda-Timeline view to the source .org file,

FWIW, Timeline feature was removed in Org 9.1.

Nicolas Goaziou