* Heirarchy and indenting of plain text belonging to headline of same indent
@ 2010-05-20  9:53 Robin Message
From: Robin Message @ 2010-05-20  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

I'm just getting started with orgmode and it seems to do exactly what I
need for outlining except for one thing - text always belongs to the
headline immediately above it.
I would like text to belong to the headline above it that it is indented
to. Sort of like how blocks of code are handled in Python.

As an example, given the text (assuming odd levels only)
* Head 1
   Body 1
*** Head 2
     Body 2
   More Body 1

Head 1 should fold to:
* Head 1
   Body 1
*** Head 2...
   More Body 1

At the moment, head 1 would fold to
* Head 1
   Body 1
*** Head 2...

But more body 1 is missing. Is there any way to get it handled as
belonging to * Head 1, not *** Head 2?

Alternatively, is there some kind of headline ending command or some way
of easily adding one, e.g.
* Head 1
   Body 1
*** Head 2
     Body 2
***$
   More Body 1

Thanks,
Robin Message

* Re: Heirarchy and indenting of plain text belonging to headline of same indent
@ 2010-05-20 11:11 ` Stephan Schmitt
From: Stephan Schmitt @ 2010-05-20 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Message; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robin,

No, there is no possibility to return to a
higher level without a new headline.

The concept of book chapters and sections is
here more appropriate than code blocks.
Although this restricts somewhat the flexibility
of the outline structure, it is unlikely to be
changed in the future.

If you need the embedded /Head 2/ block for a
todo task, you can use inline tasks as a
workaround (look it up in the manual).  There
are also some other threads in the mail archive
of this list discussing this problem.

Hth,
	Stephan

Also sprach Robin Message:

@ 2010-05-20 12:52   ` Robin Message
From: Robin Message @ 2010-05-20 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ah, thanks Stephan.

I now see this is a problem with outline.el which orgmode is based on.
However, orgmode export does it's own processing, so this would need
changing in both places to work properly.

So I shall give up and work around it for now.

Cheers,
Robin

@ 2010-05-20 19:46 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2010-05-20 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Message; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Robin Message <rhm31@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Alternatively, is there some kind of headline ending command or some
> way of easily adding one, e.g.
> * Head 1
>   Body 1
> *** Head 2
>     Body 2
> ***$
>   More Body 1

Stephan mentioned org-inline tasks, which has the following syntax:

* Head 1
  Body 1
*************** Head 2
		Body 2
*************** END
  More body 1.

Depending on your needs, there are a few other options for marking off
text within a headline:

   1. Drawers. I often use a :NOTES: drawer to store items I don't want
      exported.

   2. Source code blocks. #+begin src: ... #+end src:

   3. Plain lists.

I'd imagine it depends on what you need this functionality for.

Best,
Matt