* Verbatim export
@ 2010-07-08 18:35 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2010-07-08 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org mode; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

Hello,

I would like to know how to make some sequence of characters to be
verbatim, ie that special characters lose their special meaning.

For instance in the following quote the first `-' will be interpreted as
a bullet point when exporting to HTML

#+begin_quote
  - this -
#+end_quote

So I tried this:

#+begin_quote
  ~-~ this -
#+end_quote

but then the first `-' is not in the same font as the second one, it
looks exaclty the same as if I had used the code =xxx= font
specfication.

I also tried this:

#+begin_quote
  \- this -
#+end_quote

I does not work (the first dash is not exported at all).

The same problem is for `[0]', how can you get this string not to be
interpreted as a footnote reference.

It should be possible to make the following type of things:

#+begin_verbatim
   [0]
#+end_verbatim

or  \verbatim{EOF}Hello - EOF

where EOF can be any string that is not found in the verbatim string. so

      \verbatim{.}Hello - .

would to the same as \verbatim{xxx}Hello - xxx.

In the same vein, it would be useful to have some \relax{} macro not
expanding to anything, this way _\relax{}  some underlining with
underlined leading spaces_ would work.

BR,
   Vincent.

* Re: Verbatim export
@ 2010-07-08 19:26 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-07-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Org mode

Hi,

Typographically, isn't what you want here an *en dash*, rather than a
hyphen? When the dash is set off by a space, that is usually the case.

Try:

#+begin_quote
   -- this --
#+end_quote

(don't forget to add a space after the last double hyphen, or it will
not be converted)

Cheers,
CM

Vincent Belaïche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know how to make some sequence of characters to be
> verbatim, ie that special characters lose their special meaning.
>
> For instance in the following quote the first `-' will be interpreted as
> a bullet point when exporting to HTML
>
> #+begin_quote
>   - this -
> #+end_quote
>
> So I tried this:
>
> #+begin_quote
>   ~-~ this -
> #+end_quote
>
> but then the first `-' is not in the same font as the second one, it
> looks exaclty the same as if I had used the code =xxx= font
> specfication.
>

> I also tried this:
>
> #+begin_quote
>   \- this -
> #+end_quote
>
> I does not work (the first dash is not exported at all).
>
> The same problem is for `[0]', how can you get this string not to be
> interpreted as a footnote reference.
>
> It should be possible to make the following type of things:
>
> #+begin_verbatim
>    [0]
> #+end_verbatim
>
> or  \verbatim{EOF}Hello - EOF
>
> where EOF can be any string that is not found in the verbatim string. so
>
>       \verbatim{.}Hello - .
>
> would to the same as \verbatim{xxx}Hello - xxx.
>

> In the same vein, it would be useful to have some \relax{} macro not
> expanding to anything, this way _\relax{}  some underlining with
> underlined leading spaces_ would work.
>
> BR,
>    Vincent.

Christian Moe
E-mail:  mail@christianmoe.com
Website: http://christianmoe.com

* Re: Verbatim export
@ 2010-07-08 20:42 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-08 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: Org mode

Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr> writes:

> I would like to know how to make some sequence of characters to be
> verbatim, ie that special characters lose their special meaning.
>
> For instance in the following quote the first `-' will be interpreted as
> a bullet point when exporting to HTML
>
> #+begin_quote
>   - this -
> #+end_quote
>
> So I tried this:
>
> #+begin_quote
>   ~-~ this -
> #+end_quote
>
> but then the first `-' is not in the same font as the second one, it
> looks exaclty the same as if I had used the code =xxx= font
> specfication.
>

> I also tried this:
>
> #+begin_quote
>   \- this -
> #+end_quote
>
> I does not work (the first dash is not exported at all).
>
> The same problem is for `[0]', how can you get this string not to be
> interpreted as a footnote reference.
>
> It should be possible to make the following type of things:
>
> #+begin_verbatim
>    [0]
> #+end_verbatim

#+begin_example