* Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-28 17:42 David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-28 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

**** Jump - seems really hard to use.

C-c C-j.  Opens help window with cursor in it, so I have to C-x o to
get to Org-goto window.  Then, once in the goto window, hitting tab
opens the subtree, but pressing a down arrow again goes back to the
top.  Seems very useless for actually finding anything.  Am I using it
wrong?  Dropping a mark and C-x C-x seems much easier.

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-28 19:09 ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2010-04-28 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM, David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> wrote:

> **** Jump - seems really hard to use.

I agree -- I've been on a quest to easily navigate my org-files also.

> C-c C-j.  Opens help window with cursor in it, so I have to C-x o to
> get to Org-goto window.

I use Aquamacs, and the help window sometimes pops out, and sometimes
stays in the main frame.  It's annoying.

>Then, once in the goto window, hitting tab
> opens the subtree, but pressing a down arrow again goes back to the
> top.  Seems very useless for actually finding anything.  Am I using it
> wrong?  Dropping a mark and C-x C-x seems much easier.

I would also like to know how to best navigate the *org-goto* buffer.
I can jump back & forth between search results using C-s and C-S s
but it seems very clumsy.

Personally, I've been using M-x occur
I have M-n and M-p bound to next-error and prev-error, to go back & forth
between search results.

HTH,

--Nate

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-28 20:07 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-04-28 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:

> **** Jump - seems really hard to use.
>
> C-c C-j.  Opens help window with cursor in it, so I have to C-x o to
> get to Org-goto window.  Then, once in the goto window, hitting tab
> opens the subtree, but pressing a down arrow again goes back to the
> top.  Seems very useless for actually finding anything.  Am I using it
> wrong?  Dropping a mark and C-x C-x seems much easier.

There is another (and IMO more convenient) interface for org-goto (C-c
C-j). To test it, try the following setting:

(setq org-goto-interface 'outline-path-completion)

Otherwise, you can try fiddling with the other org-goto variables. Type
"C-h v org-goto [TAB]" for a full list.

- Matt

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-28 22:56   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-28 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: David Frascone, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:09:22 -0500, Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM, David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> wrote:
> >
> > **** Jump - seems really hard to use.
> >

> I agree -- I've been on a quest to easily navigate my org-files also.
>
> > C-c C-j.  Opens help window with cursor in it, so I have to C-x o to
> > get to Org-goto window.
>
> I use Aquamacs, and the help window sometimes pops out, and sometimes
> stays in the main frame.  It's annoying.

I'm not sure what either of you is saying here.  C-c C-j works very
simply: the little help window pops up but the key sequences (arrows
and TAB basically) allow me to move in the original buffer until I hit
RET at which point the popup disappears and I'm in the original buffer
at the new location.

Am I missing something?

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-29 14:27     ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:09:22 -0500, Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM, David Frascone <dave@frascone.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > **** Jump - seems really hard to use.
> > >

> > I agree -- I've been on a quest to easily navigate my org-files also.
> >
> > > C-c C-j.  Opens help window with cursor in it, so I have to C-x o to
> > > get to Org-goto window.
> >
> > I use Aquamacs, and the help window sometimes pops out, and sometimes
> > stays in the main frame.  It's annoying.
>
> I'm not sure what either of you is saying here.  C-c C-j works very
> simply: the little help window pops up but the key sequences (arrows
> and TAB basically) allow me to move in the original buffer until I hit
> RET at which point the popup disappears and I'm in the original buffer
> at the new location.
>
> Am I missing something?

When I did that, it started with all of the headings closed.  If I'm looking
for something nested, it's VERY hard to use, or, I am doing something
wrong.  See how easy it is for you to find something at level 3, for
example.

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-29 14:37       ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2010-04-29 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode List

On 10-Apr-29, at 10:27 AM, David Frascone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what either of you is saying here.  C-c C-j works very
> simply: the little help window pops up but the key sequences (arrows
> and TAB basically) allow me to move in the original buffer until I hit
> RET at which point the popup disappears and I'm in the original buffer
> at the new location.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> When I did that, it started with all of the headings closed.  If I'm
> looking for something nested, it's VERY hard to use, or, I am doing
> something wrong.  See how easy it is for you to find something at
> level 3, for example.

David,

You are also able to do incremental search from the jump command. Just
start typing the level 3 heading you're looking for, and you will be
brought there as if you used C-s.

   -Anthony

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-29 14:56       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-29 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:27:58 -0600, David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:09:22 -0500, Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > I agree -- I've been on a quest to easily navigate my org-files also.

> > > I use Aquamacs, and the help window sometimes pops out, and sometimes
> > > stays in the main frame.  It's annoying.
> >
> > I'm not sure what either of you is saying here.  C-c C-j works very
> > simply: the little help window pops up but the key sequences (arrows
> > and TAB basically) allow me to move in the original buffer until I hit
> > RET at which point the popup disappears and I'm in the original buffer
> > at the new location.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >

> When I did that, it started with all of the headings closed.  If I'm looking
> for something nested, it's VERY hard to use, or, I am doing something
> wrong.  See how easy it is for you to find something at level 3, for
> example.

Use the arrow keys to navigate to the top level heading, hit TAB to
expand the next level in that sub-tree, use the arrow keys again, hit
TAB on the second level heading, and recurse...  I find this quite
intuitive and easy to use.

of course, this assumes you know the hierarchy (i.e. under which
higher level headings your particular destination is to be found).  if
you don't know the hierarchy, I would suggest doing an expansion of
the whole file into the headings view (I can't remember what it is
called but C-u TAB cycles through the different views) and search
using C-s instead... remembering that you always have the full power
of emacs at hand which is partly what makes org so powerful!  For
example, you can also use

  M-x occur RET

to search for particular strings in the whole file.

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-29 15:15         ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-29 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> > When I did that, it started with all of the headings closed.  If I'm
> looking
> > for something nested, it's VERY hard to use, or, I am doing something
> > wrong.  See how easy it is for you to find something at level 3, for
> > example.
>
> Use the arrow keys to navigate to the top level heading, hit TAB to
> expand the next level in that sub-tree, use the arrow keys again, hit
> TAB on the second level heading, and recurse...  I find this quite
> intuitive and easy to use.

TAB was the secret here.  I was using arrows, the right arrow, in
particular, to try to traverse the hierarchy.  With tab, it is now very
useful, except for aquamacs opening the help in another window.  I think I
need to go back to Emacs.app

@ 2010-04-29 15:27           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-29 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:15:53 -0600, David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> > > When I did that, it started with all of the headings closed.  If I'm
> > looking
> > > for something nested, it's VERY hard to use, or, I am doing something
> > > wrong.  See how easy it is for you to find something at level 3, for
> > > example.
> >
> > Use the arrow keys to navigate to the top level heading, hit TAB to
> > expand the next level in that sub-tree, use the arrow keys again, hit
> > TAB on the second level heading, and recurse...  I find this quite
> > intuitive and easy to use.
> >

> TAB was the secret here.  I was using arrows, the right arrow, in
> particular, to try to traverse the hierarchy.  With tab, it is now very
> useful,

Ah, excellent!

> except for aquamacs opening the help in another window.  I think I
> need to go back to Emacs.app

This, unfortunately, I cannot help with, having never used a
Mac... (I'm linux 100% and have been since '92).  I have no idea what
the difference between Emacs.app and Aquamacs may be...

@ 2010-04-29 15:37             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-29 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: David Frascone, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 29, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:15:53 -0600, David Frascone
> <dave@frascone.com> wrote:

>>> looking
>>>
>>> Use the arrow keys to navigate to the top level heading, hit TAB to
>>> expand the next level in that sub-tree, use the arrow keys again,
>>> hit
>>> TAB on the second level heading, and recurse...  I find this quite
>>> intuitive and easy to use.
>>>

>> TAB was the secret here.  I was using arrows, the right arrow, in
>> particular, to try to traverse the hierarchy.  With tab, it is now
>> very
>> useful,
>
> Ah, excellent!
>
>> except for aquamacs opening the help in another window.  I think I
>> need to go back to Emacs.app
>
> This, unfortunately, I cannot help with, having never used a
> Mac... (I'm linux 100% and have been since '92).  I have no idea what
> the difference between Emacs.app and Aquamacs may be...

AquaEmacs tries to be like other Mac Applications, which all open a
new frame for each document.

I think you can get i back to more normal Emacs behavior by customizing

`pop-up-frames', `pop-up-windows', `display-buffer-reuse-frames'.

- Carsten

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-29 15:42           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-04-29 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> wrote:

> TAB was the secret here.  I was using arrows, the right arrow, in particular, to try to traverse the hierarchy.  With tab, it is now very useful, except
> for aquamacs opening the help in another window.  I think I need to go back to Emacs.app

[disclaimer: I don't know anything about aquamacs.]

I see org-get-location creating the help buffer and trying *not* to
pop up a frame by

  (let (...
	(pop-up-frames nil)
        ...)
        ...)

Maybe you can check the global value of the pop-up-frames variable? If
non-nil, set it to nil and try again (although that's going to change
other things as well.) If it's nil, then I throw up my hands. But if
that stops the frame from popping up, that might indicate a bug in the
aquamacs emacs-lisp implementation: I think the setting above should
percolate down so that when display-buffer gets called, it should listen
to it.

Nick

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-29 17:31               ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2010-04-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: David Frascone, emacs-orgmode

Hi all

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:15:53 -0600, David Frascone <dave@frascone.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> except for aquamacs opening the help in another window.  I think I
>>> need to go back to Emacs.app
>>
>> This, unfortunately, I cannot help with, having never used a
>> Mac... (I'm linux 100% and have been since '92).  I have no idea what
>> the difference between Emacs.app and Aquamacs may be...
>
> AquaEmacs tries to be like other Mac Applications, which all open a new
> frame for each document.
>
> I think you can get i back to more normal Emacs behavior by customizing
>
> `pop-up-frames', `pop-up-windows', `display-buffer-reuse-frames'.

Actually, I think you just need to do

(setq special-display-regexps nil)

to get Aquamacs to behave "properly"

See http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AquamacsEmacsCompatibilitySettings

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: Does anyone use "Jump" C-c C-j
@ 2010-04-29 18:58                 ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-29 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik