* org-meta-return not on M-RET
@ 2017-09-15 20:17 Allen Li
From: Allen Li @ 2017-09-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I could not get org-meta-return to work in terminal Emacs, I
realized that org-meta-return is only bound to M-return and not M-RET.
Is there any particular reason for this?

* Re: org-meta-return not on M-RET
@ 2017-09-16 15:20 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-16 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Li; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Allen Li <vianchielfaura@gmail.com> writes:

> When I could not get org-meta-return to work in terminal Emacs, I
> realized that org-meta-return is only bound to M-return and not M-RET.
> Is there any particular reason for this?

No idea. Fixed. Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-meta-return not on M-RET
@ 2017-09-16 21:36   ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2017-09-16 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas, Allen,
* Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> [2017-09-16; 17:20]:
> Allen Li <vianchielfaura@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When I could not get org-meta-return to work in terminal Emacs, I
>> realized that org-meta-return is only bound to M-return and not M-RET.
>> Is there any particular reason for this?
>
> No idea. Fixed. Thank you.

Thanks to both of you: It used to work, then it didn't, only a
few days ago I realised there was a difference between M-RETURN
and M-RET but thought of this as a configuration error and now it
simply works again!

Regards, Gregor

* Re: org-meta-return not on M-RET
@ 2017-09-17  9:12   ` Allen Li
From: Allen Li @ 2017-09-17  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Allen Li <vianchielfaura@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When I could not get org-meta-return to work in terminal Emacs, I
>> realized that org-meta-return is only bound to M-return and not M-RET.
>> Is there any particular reason for this?
>
> No idea. Fixed. Thank you.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

Thanks for the quick fix.

I believe Emacs does intelligent remapping; for example if you type
M-return in GUI Emacs, if there are no bindings for M-return it will
look up the binding for M-RET.  Therefore simply binding M-RET and
removing the M-return binding is "better"/"cleaner".  This is a hugely
trivial nitpick, but I thought I'd point it out

* Re: org-meta-return not on M-RET
@ 2017-09-17 10:50     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-17 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Li; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Allen Li <vianchielfaura@gmail.com> writes:

> I believe Emacs does intelligent remapping; for example if you type
> M-return in GUI Emacs, if there are no bindings for M-return it will
> look up the binding for M-RET.  Therefore simply binding M-RET and
> removing the M-return binding is "better"/"cleaner".  This is a hugely
> trivial nitpick, but I thought I'd point it out

Done. Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-meta-return not on M-RET
@ 2017-09-17 12:34       ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2017-09-17 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Allen Li, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

The purpose of the M-RET binding is to allow quick splitting of long
headlines generated during rapid brainstorming e.g.

* Common pets are cats and dogs

Can be quickly converted using M-RET to:

* Common pets are
* cats and
* dogs

This is a short distance from

* Common pets
  * cats
  * dogs

This used to be in the documentation, and I use this function all the
time.  I'd hate to lose it.

@ 2017-09-17 14:07         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-17 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: Allen Li, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Scott Otterson <scotto@sharpleaf.org> writes:

> The purpose of the M-RET binding is to allow quick splitting of long
> headlines generated during rapid brainstorming e.g.
>
> * Common pets are cats and dogs
>
> Can be quickly converted using M-RET to:
>
> * Common pets are
> * cats and
> * dogs
>
> This is a short distance from
>
> * Common pets
>   * cats
>   * dogs
>
> This used to be in the documentation, and I use this function all the
> time.  I'd hate to lose it.

I'm not sure to understand your concern.

We are not removing M-RET keybinding, but removing a duplicate binding:
[(meta return)]

Nicolas Goaziou