* Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate NonGNU ELPA package
@ 2021-03-28  6:45 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-03-28  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

starting from Org 9.5, org-contrib will be distributed as a NonGNU
ELPA package.  You will find it here: https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/

See for https://orgmode.org/list/87wnzfy60h.fsf@bzg.fr/ for context.

 Bastien

* Re: Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate NonGNU ELPA package
@ 2021-03-28 13:31 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > Hi all, starting from Org 9.5, org-contrib will be distributed as
    > a NonGNU ELPA package.  You will find it here:
    > https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/

    > See for https://orgmode.org/list/87wnzfy60h.fsf@bzg.fr/ for
    > context.

Is it still the intention to put the files in a new org-contrib.git repo
on code.orgmode.org? This would be useful for those of us who do not
use packages.

Best wishes,

* Re: Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate NonGNU ELPA package
@ 2021-03-28 15:20   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-03-28 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Colin,

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

>     > Hi all, starting from Org 9.5, org-contrib will be distributed as
>     > a NonGNU ELPA package.  You will find it here:
>     > https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/
>
>     > See for https://orgmode.org/list/87wnzfy60h.fsf@bzg.fr/ for
>     > context.
>
> Is it still the intention to put the files in a new org-contrib.git repo
> on code.orgmode.org?

Yes, org-contrib.git will live in one of these forges:

https://code.orgmode.org
https://savannah.nongnu.org
https://sr.ht

> This would be useful for those of us who do not
> use packages.

Indeed!

--

@ 2021-03-28 15:34     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-28 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    >> Is it still the intention to put the files in a new
    >> org-contrib.git repo on code.orgmode.org?

    > Yes, org-contrib.git will live in one of these forges:

    > https://code.orgmode.org https://savannah.nongnu.org https://sr.ht

Great! Thanks, Bastien.

Best wishes,

* Re: Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate NonGNU ELPA package
@ 2021-03-31  0:30 ` Allen Li
From: Allen Li @ 2021-03-31  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> starting from Org 9.5, org-contrib will be distributed as a NonGNU
> ELPA package.  You will find it here: https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/
>
> See for https://orgmode.org/list/87wnzfy60h.fsf@bzg.fr/ for context.
>
> Thanks,

Will there be an overlapping period (and if not, can we add such a
period)?  For example, have one release where org-contrib is still
shipped, and the NonGNU repos are available.  That gives users such as
myself a period to switch over without things breaking immediately.

If I understand correctly, the current plan is that users using
org-contrib will have their configs break immediately when they upgrade
to 9.5, forcing them to do both the 9.5 upgrade and switchover to NonGNU
simultaneously.  It's easier if we can first safely upgrade to 9.5, then
switch to NonGNU repos, and in the next release org-contrib can be removed.

* Re: Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate NonGNU ELPA package
@ 2021-03-31  0:42   ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-03-31  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Allen Li <darkfeline@felesatra.moe> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> starting from Org 9.5, org-contrib will be distributed as a NonGNU
>> ELPA package.  You will find it here: https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/
>>
>> See for https://orgmode.org/list/87wnzfy60h.fsf@bzg.fr/ for context.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Will there be an overlapping period (and if not, can we add such a
> period)?  For example, have one release where org-contrib is still
> shipped, and the NonGNU repos are available.  That gives users such as
> myself a period to switch over without things breaking immediately.
>
> If I understand correctly, the current plan is that users using
> org-contrib will have their configs break immediately when they upgrade
> to 9.5, forcing them to do both the 9.5 upgrade and switchover to NonGNU
> simultaneously.  It's easier if we can first safely upgrade to 9.5, then
> switch to NonGNU repos, and in the next release org-contrib can be removed.

I agree an overlap would be useful. This will give maintainers of
'canned' configs, like spacemacs and doom time to update their setups.

However, just to clarify. As I understand it, after 9.5, there will no
longer be an 'org-plus-contrib' package. Those who now use
org-plus-contrib will need to update their config to install org (fro
ELPA) and org-contrib (from NONGNU ELPA). The good news is nothing will
break. When you do an update, there just won't be an updated
org-plus-contrib and you will remain on 9.5. Only after you have updated
your config will you get a version > 9.5.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate NonGNU ELPA package
@ 2021-04-11 12:46   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-04-11 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Li; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Allen,

sorry for the late reply.

Allen Li <darkfeline@felesatra.moe> writes:

> Will there be an overlapping period (and if not, can we add such a
> period)?

yes, there will be an overlapping period.

9.5-without-contrib will be released on GNU ELPA and Org ELPA,
with a warning that Org ELPA will be closed.

An last 9.5-plus-contrib will be manually build and released on
Org ELPA, warning users that these package is the last one and
pointing to instructions on how to update their installation.

And a new org-contrib package will be released on NonGNU ELPA.

Then, after this overlapping period, 9.6 will only be released
on GNU ELPA and org-contrib on NonGNU ELPA.

Let me know if that sounds okay to you.

Best,

--

@ 2021-04-11 21:46     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-04-11 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Allen Li

what is the recommendation for those of us who don't use package
systems?  get contrib from some github-like repo someplace or
something + get org from git as usual?

or...?

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: Starting from 9.5, Org contrib will be distributed as a separate NonGNU ELPA package
@ 2021-04-12  5:20       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-04-12  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Allen Li

Hi Samuel,

> what is the recommendation for those of us who don't use package
> systems?  get contrib from some github-like repo someplace or
> something + get org from git as usual?

Yes.  If you used to install Org by cloning the Git repo and want to
use contributed packages, you will have to clone the org-contrib.git
repository.

--

@ 2021-04-12  5:32         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-04-12  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)