* Name-space prefixes in ox- packages
@ 2017-09-09 12:09 Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-09-09 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

I have observed that even though the exporter backend package names begin
with ox-, all the variables and functions inside still start with org-.

Is there a strong reason to do so? Or was that to prevent the older
org-html, etc packages from breaking when they got renamed to ox-html, etc?

So the question is if the new export backends should also follow the same
convention.

This question came up because if the ox- packages follow the convention
used in core, they fail the lint check done by an external package called
package-lint[1]. The lint checkers expects all variables and functions in a
package FOO to have FOO- prefix. Here[2] the discussion on that package's
GitHub issue thread.

PS: I believe it is the same case with ob- packages.

[1]: https://github.com/purcell/package-lint
[2]: https://github.com/purcell/package-lint/issues/89

Thanks.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Name-space prefixes in ox- packages
@ 2017-09-09 13:36 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-09 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> I have observed that even though the exporter backend package names begin
> with ox-, all the variables and functions inside still start with org-.
>
> Is there a strong reason to do so?

"ox" stands for "org-export-". This is so to limit file name size. Some
systems are very limited (e.g. MS-DOS).

Variables and functions should really be "org-export-html..." but that
would be very long. The "org" prefix is mandatory for Org variables and
functions. "ox" would be misleading.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Name-space prefixes in ox- packages
@ 2017-09-10  3:19   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-09-10  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 9:36 AM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> "ox" stands for "org-export-". This is so to limit file name size. Some
> systems are very limited (e.g. MS-DOS).

Is that file name size that important in today's time? I'd be surprised if
anyone using Org is using MS-DOS. But regardless, the "ox-" prefix
definitely looks better than "org-export-".

> Variables and functions should really be "org-export-html..." but that
> would be very long. The "org" prefix is mandatory for Org variables and
> functions. "ox" would be misleading.

Does this have to do with org-export--generate-copy-script (as discussed
here[1])? Is the prefix requirement for "org-" more widespread than that?

[1]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2016-05/msg00231.html
--

@ 2017-09-10  7:56     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-10  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 9:36 AM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> wrote:
>

>> "ox" stands for "org-export-". This is so to limit file name size. Some
>> systems are very limited (e.g. MS-DOS).
>>

> Is that file name size that important in today's time?

For some Emacs developers, it is.

If Emacs drops MS-DOS support, we can reconsider this. I doubt this is
going to happen any time soon.

>> Variables and functions should really be "org-export-html..." but that
>> would be very long. The "org" prefix is mandatory for Org variables and
>> functions. "ox" would be misleading.
>>

> Does this have to do with org-export--generate-copy-script (as discussed
> here[1])?

I don't think so.

> Is the prefix requirement for "org-" more widespread than that?

IIRC, it is an Emacs convention. Variables should be prefixed by the
major mode's name, since Emacs has no proper namespace.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738