* Data loss when working with agenda + x
@ 2016-08-24  8:09 Michael Welle
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-08-24  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

several times I experienced data loss when working with the agenda and
doing something else then, which is yet unknown.

For instance, this morning I opened and closed a couple of tasks from
the agenda view. Then I appended to the org file that holds the tasks.
Maybe I saved that buffer. Maybe I did some other things next. Then I
refreshed the agenda view and the tasks where untouched again, all
logged state data is gone. I found a backup of the org file that clearly
showed that the task's states have been switched to done 15 minutes ago.

I tried to reproduce that behaviour with simple tests, but no success so
far. There must be some condition, I'm not aware of yet. I know this
description is very vague, but maybe you have a hint anyways? It's a bit
annoying if you find open tasks, that you should have been finished a
couple of days ago, and you are not sure if you forgot them or if it's
just state data, that got lost ;).

Regards
hmw

* Re: Data loss when working with agenda + x
@ 2016-09-10  9:54 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-09-10  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:

> I tried to reproduce that behaviour with simple tests, but no success so
> far. There must be some condition, I'm not aware of yet. I know this
> description is very vague, but maybe you have a hint anyways? It's a bit
> annoying if you find open tasks, that you should have been finished a
> couple of days ago, and you are not sure if you forgot them or if it's
> just state data, that got lost ;).

This sounds very bad. Unfortunately, it doesn't ring a bell. Could it be
related to some setting in `global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers' ?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Data loss when working with agenda + x
@ 2016-09-10 10:24   ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-09-10 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I tried to reproduce that behaviour with simple tests, but no success so
>> far. There must be some condition, I'm not aware of yet. I know this
>> description is very vague, but maybe you have a hint anyways? It's a bit
>> annoying if you find open tasks, that you should have been finished a
>> couple of days ago, and you are not sure if you forgot them or if it's
>> just state data, that got lost ;).
>
> This sounds very bad. Unfortunately, it doesn't ring a bell. Could it be
> related to some setting in `global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers' ?
I don't use global auto-revert mode. g-a-r-n-f-b isn't defined.

I think it's safe to assume that the way I work with Org is always the
same, more or less. And the events, I described, are very rare. There
must be something extraordinary, when that happens. Since nobody else
reported something similar, at least to my knowledge, it might depend on
my configuration. But then again, I don't think I do something special
here.

I think, the best I can do at the moment is to observe.

@ 2016-09-25  6:41 ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-09-25  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

happened again today. This time changes I made yesterday are gone this
morning (the changes are still in the backup file) or more precise, I
found out about the problem this morning. This time three Org files are
affected.

I suspended the machine over night. That means that the clock made quite
a jump forward this morning. I think that isn't related, but who knows.

@ 2016-09-25  7:38   ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-09-25  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> happened again today. This time changes I made yesterday are gone this
> morning (the changes are still in the backup file) or more precise, I
I should get the terminology straight and add that by 'backup file' I
mean auto-save file (this #.*#, not this .*~).

@ 2016-09-25 18:56 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2016-09-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

you can get data loss if you mix agenda and outline actions and undoes.

On 8/24/16, Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> several times I experienced data loss when working with the agenda and
> doing something else then, which is yet unknown.

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: Data loss when working with agenda + x
@ 2016-09-25 18:59   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2016-09-25 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

e.g. make changes in agenda then undo in the outline.  undos are bunched up.
at least with undo-tree and org maint on 24.4.

* Re: Data loss when working with agenda + x
@ 2016-09-26  5:33     ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-09-26  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> e.g. make changes in agenda then undo in the outline.  undos are bunched up.
> at least with undo-tree and org maint on 24.4.
hm, interesting. But no undo here.

In my first posting I said that I worked with the agenda and edited Org
files directly. For the last event it is most likely that I manipulated
(some of) the files only via the agenda view.

Regards
hmw