From: "François Pinard" <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Nice blog post - Org-mode in Your Pocket Is a GNU-Shaped Devil
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 07:48:50 -0400	[thread overview]

Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug) writes:

> Sanity - never heard of it. I am giving gnus a few weeks and then I wil
> see - I think I am getting used to it (*not* understanding it!)

Hi Rainer!

I surely tried many mail user agents (MUAs) in my life and, sad to say
:-), Gnus is undoubtedly the most featured and flexible, while being the
one which best respects various standards in the field.

If I write "sad to say", this is because Gnus coupled me more intimately
with Emacs, while I tried hard to run away of it, to recover some sanity.
To no avail: after many years of abstinence, and with reluctance and
dismay, Org got me back in it.  Org is so good that I could not resist.

In the meantime, despite I found some MUAs quite impressive, I knew deep
down that none really match Gnus.  So, when Org thrown me back in Emacs,
and given Org and Gnus integrate rather well with one another, Gnus was
the next logical step, which I do not regret yet.

A tiny example from yesterday.  Knowing that Google Reader is soon going
to leave us, and after a few other unsatisfying tries, I finally opted
for Gwene + Gnus, and found out that the UI is even more efficient than
Google Reader, at least for me, to sort out what I want to read and what
I want to ignore.  Some groups (Hacker News is typical) only yield links
in Gnus, with no text.  It took me about one hour (my Gnus programming
is rather rusty) for adding a Gnus command opening many tabs at once, in
a graphical browser, for all articles I retain in Gnus for reading.

I do not see any other environment in which such tiny projects would
stay reasonably small and tractable.

François