* Text Formatting?
@ 2006-10-19 19:05 Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2006-10-19 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, how do you usually format the text body?  I found it frustrating
if I just want to paste something from somewhere else.

For text like

* Title
  body body body body body body body body body body body body body
  body body body body body body body body body body body body body
  body body body body body body body body body body

M-q can do the job very well.  But for a list

* List
  1. list
  2. list
  3. list

indent-region doesn't seem to work very well except the list was
format as the way that there's no space before the bullet

* List
1. list
2. list
3. list

Otherwise it just screws everything up, if you do indent-region on

* List
  1. list
2. list
3. list

Another issue is with `QUOTE' or `:'.  Can I easily indent them to
align with the title as

* QUOTE a message from emacs-orgmode
  message body...
  message body...
  message body...

or

* QUOTE Carsten said
  : blah blah blah...
  : and blah blah blah...

Thank you.  I don't have time to play with the elisp code.  But I
really appreciate it if you can fix the behaviour or give me a piece
of advice.

Xiao-Yong
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Text Formatting?
@ 2006-10-19 19:12 ` Ed Hirgelt
From: Ed Hirgelt @ 2006-10-19 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 10/19/06, Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> wrote:

> Hi, how do you usually format the text body?  I found it frustrating
> if I just want to paste something from somewhere else.
>

> * List
>   1. list
>   2. list
>   3. list
>
> indent-region doesn't seem to work very well except the list was
> format as the way that there's no space before the bullet

You probably want to look at filladapt.  This provides ways to fill lists of
various types.

* QUOTE Carsten said
>   : blah blah blah...
>   : and blah blah blah...

Something like this you can also handle by setting the prefix string (^X .
is bound to set-fill-prefix)

C-x . runs `set-fill-prefix'

`set-fill-prefix' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
  -- loaded from "/usr/src/xemacs-21.4.19/.build/lisp/fill.elc"
(set-fill-prefix)

Documentation:
Set the fill prefix to the current line up to point.
Filling expects lines to start with the fill prefix and
reinserts the fill prefix in each resulting line.

--
Ed Hirgelt

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen
and thinking what nobody has thought.

* Re: Text Formatting?
@ 2006-10-20  1:08   ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2006-10-20  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Ed Hirgelt" <ehirgelt@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/19/06, Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> wrote:
>
>     Hi, how do you usually format the text body?  I found it frustrating
>     if I just want to paste something from somewhere else.
>
>     * List
>       1. list
>       2. list
>       3. list
>
>     indent-region doesn't seem to work very well except the list was
>     format as the way that there's no space before the bullet
>
> You probably want to look at filladapt.  This provides ways to fill lists of
> various types.

Org-Mode is already doing this, I guess.  When you press M-RET, it
inserts the prefix automatically.  I just want to find a way that is
similar to M-C-\ (indent-region) so that I can paste a block of text
and reformat it easily.

>     * QUOTE Carsten said
>       : blah blah blah...
>       : and blah blah blah...
>
> Something like this you can also handle by setting the prefix string (^X . is
> bound to set-fill-prefix)
>
> C-x . runs `set-fill-prefix'
>
> `set-fill-prefix' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
>   -- loaded from "/usr/src/xemacs-21.4.19/.build/lisp/fill.elc"
> (set-fill-prefix)
>
> Documentation:
> Set the fill prefix to the current line up to point.
> Filling expects lines to start with the fill prefix and
> reinserts the fill prefix in each resulting line.

This is good.  Make it much easier to write some thing.  However, it
doesn't help for reformatting.