* protecting ascii art
@ 2008-08-15 21:54 Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2008-08-15 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to protect text regions from org mode parsing?  When I
paste the following under an org mode headline:

                   +-------+  +--------------> future x
           +----+  |predict|  |   +-------+
      x -->|TDL +--|   x   |--+-->|       |
           +----+  +-------+      |predict|--> future y
                                  |       |
           +----+                 |   y   |
      y -->|TDL +---------------->|       |
           +----+                 +-------+

org mode scrambles it.  If I precede each line with a ':', org mode
still scrambles it, but less so.

Thanks,

Scott

* Re: protecting ascii art
@ 2008-08-16  1:34 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2008-08-16  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think that's a bug.  prefixing the lines with : ought to do it.  It
prevents the | character from becoming tables, but it's not preventing
the + from creating strike throughs.  I would think that #+BEGIN_QUOTE
ought to work too, but it doesn't.  That maybe for export only.

Edd

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Scott Otterson <scotto@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Is there a way to protect text regions from org mode parsing?  When I paste
> the following under an org mode headline:
>
>                  +-------+  +--------------> future x
>          +----+  |predict|  |   +-------+
>     x -->|TDL +--|   x   |--+-->|       |
>          +----+  +-------+      |predict|--> future y
>                                 |       |
>          +----+                 |   y   |
>     y -->|TDL +---------------->|       |
>          +----+                 +-------+
>
> org mode scrambles it.  If I precede each line with a ':', org mode still
> scrambles it, but less so.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

* Re: protecting ascii art
@ 2008-08-16 16:38   ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2008-08-16 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yeah, that's what I thought about #+BEGIN_QUOTE too.

By the way, it would be lovely if it were possible to use emacs's
built-in artist-mode:

    http://www.cinsk.org/emacs/emacs-artist.html

to draw diagrams inside of an org mode buffer.  Right now, hitting M-x
artist-mode while already in org-mode clobbers the org file.

But with some code twizzling, maybe it would be possible to use
artist-mode to interactively draw ascii graphics, just like we can now
create ascii tables.  That would make org-mode a complete text-based
system -- a plain text paradise.

Scott

On 8/15/2008 6:34 PM, Eddward DeVilla wrote:
> I think that's a bug.  prefixing the lines with : ought to do it.  It
> prevents the | character from becoming tables, but it's not preventing
> the + from creating strike throughs.  I would think that #+BEGIN_QUOTE
> ought to work too, but it doesn't.  That maybe for export only.
>
> Edd

* artist/mouse - was: protecting ascii art
@ 2008-08-17 21:07     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-08-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [emacs-orgmode]

Hi,

I think what we need for this a possibility to turn of org-mouse
module. Which I would like anyway, since it often get's in my way.

Maybe the mouse sensitivity could be on leading stars and links
only?

E.g. cut text with right mouse button...

In org, I now use 'M-x edit-picture' instead, which is great too.

@ 2008-08-26  0:26     ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2008-08-26  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: Eddward DeVilla, emacs-orgmode

Hi Scott

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Scott Otterson
<scotto@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> By the way, it would be lovely if it were possible to use emacs's built-in
> artist-mode:
>
>   http://www.cinsk.org/emacs/emacs-artist.html
>
> to draw diagrams inside of an org mode buffer.  Right now, hitting M-x
> artist-mode while already in org-mode clobbers the org file.

What seems to work is to first set aside some lines for your artistic
creation, select them, and do "C-x n n" (narrow-to-region) before
turning on artist-mode. Then, when you have finished, turn off
artist-mode and do "C-x n w" (widen).

This is a bit of a pain to remember the steps, but it does protect the
org file from getting clobbered.

Cheers

Will

--

 Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
 Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: protecting ascii art
@ 2008-08-26  2:44       ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2008-08-26  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: Eddward DeVilla, emacs-orgmode

Thanks!  Yes, this does work, and I'll definitely use it.

I wonder how hard it would be to automate those steps.

Scott

On 8/25/2008 5:26 PM, William Henney wrote:
> Hi Scott
> <...>
> What seems to work is to first set aside some lines for your artistic
> creation, select them, and do "C-x n n" (narrow-to-region) before
> turning on artist-mode. Then, when you have finished, turn off
> artist-mode and do "C-x n w" (widen).
>
> This is a bit of a pain to remember the steps, but it does protect the
> org file from getting clobbered.
>
> Cheers
>
> Will

* Re: protecting ascii art
@ 2008-09-05  7:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-05  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Actually, in my GNU Emacs, prefixing these lines with ":" makes them
look fine.  You are using XEmacs, right?

- Carsten

On Aug 15, 2008, at 11:54 PM, Scott Otterson wrote:

> Is there a way to protect text regions from org mode parsing?  When
> I paste the following under an org mode headline:
>
>                  +-------+  +--------------> future x
>          +----+  |predict|  |   +-------+
>     x -->|TDL +--|   x   |--+-->|       |
>          +----+  +-------+      |predict|--> future y
>                                 |       |
>          +----+                 |   y   |
>     y -->|TDL +---------------->|       |
>          +----+                 +-------+
>
> org mode scrambles it.  If I precede each line with a ':', org mode
> still scrambles it, but less so.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

* Re: protecting ascii art
@ 2008-09-05 11:24   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-05 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Scott Otterson, emacs-orgmode

My mistake, this is indeed also broken under GNU Emacs.  I had turned
off strikethrough emphasis, that is why it looked OK for me.

- Carsten

On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:05 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Actually, in my GNU Emacs, prefixing these lines with ":" makes them
> look fine.  You are using XEmacs, right?
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Aug 15, 2008, at 11:54 PM, Scott Otterson wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to protect text regions from org mode parsing?  When
>> I paste the following under an org mode headline:
>>
>>                 +-------+  +--------------> future x
>>         +----+  |predict|  |   +-------+
>>    x -->|TDL +--|   x   |--+-->|       |
>>         +----+  +-------+      |predict|--> future y
>>                                |       |
>>         +----+                 |   y   |
>>    y -->|TDL +---------------->|       |
>>         +----+                 +-------+
>>
>> org mode scrambles it.  If I precede each line with a ':', org mode
>> still scrambles it, but less so.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott

* Re: protecting ascii art
@ 2008-09-05 21:58       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-05 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: Eddward DeVilla, Scott Otterson, emacs-orgmode

On Aug 26, 2008, at 2:26 AM, William Henney wrote:

> Hi Scott
>
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Scott Otterson
> <scotto@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> By the way, it would be lovely if it were possible to use emacs's
>> built-in
>> artist-mode:
>>
>>  http://www.cinsk.org/emacs/emacs-artist.html
>>
>> to draw diagrams inside of an org mode buffer.  Right now, hitting
>> M-x
>> artist-mode while already in org-mode clobbers the org file.
>
> What seems to work is to first set aside some lines for your artistic
> creation, select them, and do "C-x n n" (narrow-to-region) before
> turning on artist-mode. Then, when you have finished, turn off
> artist-mode and do "C-x n w" (widen).
>
> This is a bit of a pain to remember the steps, but it does protect the
> org file from getting clobbered.

This is a very good idea that fits right into the functionality of the
"C-c '" command, so I have added it there.  If you now press "C-c '" in
a region of lines starting with a colon, you get to edit this region in
artist-mode.  Also, if you press these keys in an empty line, a new
drawing is created.

I always wanted to have drawing in some way and even did some
experiments
years ago - but I did not know of artist-mode.

Thanks for the ideas!

- Carsten

P.S. I believe that also the strikethrough problem is fixed by now.

@ 2008-09-07  2:40         ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2008-09-07  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Eddward DeVilla, emacs-orgmode

This great, but maybe it's not in the latest org version?  In 6.06b,
when I type C-c ', I get sent to ffap.  This matches the comments in
org-edit-special, which indicate that this is what will happen.

Anyway, thanks for implementing this.

Scott

@ 2008-09-07  4:51           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-07  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: Eddward DeVilla, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 7, 2008, at 4:40 AM, Scott Otterson wrote:

> This great, but maybe it's not in the latest org version?  In 6.06b,
> when I type C-c ', I get sent to ffap.  This matches the comments in
> org-edit-special, which indicate that this is what will happen.

This feature will be in 6.07, but it is now available in the git
repository.

- Carsten