* FR:  Two column view enhancements
@ 2008-03-25 22:30 Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2008-03-25 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Two feature requests to make column view a little more polished:

First, it would be nice if hl-line-mode, or something like it,
worked in column view.  If I've got my emacs frame filling my
physical screen and %ITEM in the left-most column, sometimes my eyes
need help with properties in the right-most column to see which item
they are paired with.

Second, sometimes my property values are too long to fit in the
column width I've allocated (e.g., %20NOTE).  I was thinking it
would be great if the entire value could be placed in the echo area
of emacs when I move the cursor into a "cell"?

As always, thanks to Carsten, and the growing list of contributors,
for org-mode.

Dan

* Re: FR:  Two column view enhancements
@ 2008-03-28 13:04 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-03-28 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 25, 2008, at 11:30 PM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> Two feature requests to make column view a little more polished:
>
> First, it would be nice if hl-line-mode, or something like it,
> worked in column view.  If I've got my emacs frame filling my
> physical screen and %ITEM in the left-most column, sometimes my eyes
> need help with properties in the right-most column to see which item
> they are paired with.

I cannot make hl-line work (I think), because the columns
are using overlays with display properties, and I believe
that this does not merge well with another overlay face.

But what you might want to do is to configure the face
org-column (M-x customize-face RET org-column RET)
and turn on the underline attribute.  Not sure if this helps, though.

> Second, sometimes my property values are too long to fit in the
> column width I've allocated (e.g., %20NOTE).  I was thinking it
> would be great if the entire value could be placed in the echo area
> of emacs when I move the cursor into a "cell"?

That does get a bit noisy for my taste.  Is the "v" key not enough?
If not maybe I can make this optionally.

- Carsten

* Re: FR:  Two column view enhancements
@ 2008-03-29  0:39   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2008-03-29  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 03/28/2008 06:04 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I cannot make hl-line work (I think), because the columns
> are using overlays with display properties, and I believe
> that this does not merge well with another overlay face.

Thanks anyway.  I suspected it might be a problem due to overlays,
but I didn't know enough to know for sure.

I've now noticed that left-right scrolling for very wide column
views, does not scroll the column headings with the content.  Can
that be done?

>> Second, sometimes my property values are too long to fit in the column
>> width I've allocated (e.g., %20NOTE).  I was thinking it would be
>> great if the entire value could be placed in the echo area of emacs
>> when I move the cursor into a "cell"?
>
> That does get a bit noisy for my taste.  Is the "v" key not enough?  If
> not maybe I can make this optionally.

"v" is perfect -- thanks.  I didn't know about it.

@ 2008-03-30 18:11     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-03-30 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 29, 2008, at 1:39 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> On 03/28/2008 06:04 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> I cannot make hl-line work (I think), because the columns
>> are using overlays with display properties, and I believe
>> that this does not merge well with another overlay face.
>
> Thanks anyway.  I suspected it might be a problem due to overlays,
> but I didn't know enough to know for sure.
>
> I've now noticed that left-right scrolling for very wide column
> views, does not scroll the column headings with the content.  Can
> that be done?

This is difficult, but it can be done.  Will be in the next push.

- Carsten