* Inline HTML?
@ 2016-09-21  0:28 David A. Gershman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David A. Gershman @ 2016-09-21  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm struggling trying to get an .org file exported and showing how I
typically structure my HTML results.  At this point, I'm trying to
figure out how to get a "<br>" inserted to force continuation on the
next line.

My org file has:

    This is line one.
    This is line two.

but the HTML export makes them different paragraphs...which is what I
utilize.  However, a separate portion of my file has a long line and I
do /not/ want a new paragraph, just to force a <br>:

    This is a long line for which I want to simply, at some point,
    start the rest on the next line.  Not a separate paragraph.

With Babel, we can do things like /src_perl{#code}/ for inline code
execution, but what about substitutions like HTML where code isn't executed?

TIA.

--dag

* Re: Inline HTML?
@ 2016-09-21  0:37 ` David A. Gershman
From: David A. Gershman @ 2016-09-21  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Finally!  Found the answer in 12.6.5 of the manual:

    Here is line the long line */@@html:<br>@@

/*I had tried the '@@' but did not put the "html:".  Hope this helps
someone else.

--dag

On 09/20/2016 05:28 PM, David A. Gershman wrote:
> I'm struggling trying to get an .org file exported and showing how I
> typically structure my HTML results.  At this point, I'm trying to
> figure out how to get a "<br>" inserted to force continuation on the
> next line.
>
> My org file has:
>
>     This is line one.
>     This is line two.
>
> but the HTML export makes them different paragraphs...which is what I
> utilize.  However, a separate portion of my file has a long line and I
> do /not/ want a new paragraph, just to force a <br>:
>
>     This is a long line for which I want to simply, at some point,
>     start the rest on the next line.  Not a separate paragraph.
>
> With Babel, we can do things like /src_perl{#code}/ for inline code
> execution, but what about substitutions like HTML where code isn't
> executed?
>
> TIA.
>
> --dag

* Re: Inline HTML?
@ 2016-09-21  0:44 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-09-21  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This may be what you're looking for:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Quoting-HTML-tags.html

* Re: Inline HTML?
@ 2016-09-21  7:15 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2016-09-21  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Gershman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David A. Gershman writes:

> My org file has:
>
>     This is line one.
>     This is line two.
>
> but the HTML export makes them different paragraphs...

Does it? If they're not separated by a blank line, the exporter should run them
together into one paragraph. Mine does.

> However, a separate portion of my file has a long line and I
> do /not/ want a new paragraph, just to force a <br>:

Quoting HTML is one solution (as you've already discovered), but more
simply, you could do:

  This long line starts here \\
  and continues here.

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Inline HTML?
@ 2016-09-21 14:08   ` David A. Gershman
From: David A. Gershman @ 2016-09-21 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/21/2016 12:15 AM, Christian Moe wrote:
> David A. Gershman writes:
>

>> My org file has:
>>
>>     This is line one.
>>     This is line two.
>>
>> but the HTML export makes them different paragraphs...
> Does it? If they're not separated by a blank line, the exporter should run them
> together into one paragraph. Mine does.
Yes, you're correct.  My apologies, I misspoke.

>> However, a separate portion of my file has a long line and I
>> do /not/ want a new paragraph, just to force a <br>:
> Quoting HTML is one solution (as you've already discovered), but more
> simply, you could do:
>

>   This long line starts here \\
>   and continues here.
>

> Yours,