* Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19  6:43 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-19  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I have just released version 7.01 of Org mode.

This is a major release, and we have worked months on getting
it together.  Most important is of cause the complete integration
of Org Babel into  Org mode.  Many thanks to Eric Schulte and
Dan Davison who have worked tirelessly to make this happen.
Thomas S. Dye gets credit here as well because he did a lot of
work on documentation and function/variable docstrings.

Also, I need to shout out my gratitude to the increasing number of
volunteers in the project.

John Wiegley's patchwork server has done wonders for streamlining the
process of reviewing and applying patches.  I have applied dozens of
patches though this process, just in the last week.

The issue tracker by David Maus has finally brought some structure
into the stream of ideas and reports on this mailing list, at a
moment when I was about to falter under the amount of work
maintaining this project means for me.  Frankly,  right now I
don't know how I would do things without David's competent and
efficient help - he has effectively and silently become
co-maintainer of this project.

Below these tips above the waterline, there is an iceberg of
contributions large and small by so many people.  We have 54 people
with FSF papers now, and more contributors of tiny patches.  Also
there are the volunteers that manage the mailing list, Worg, and
the FAQ.  I am truly humbled and made proud at the same time by
each and every contribution that the Org mode projects receives.
These contributions made Org mode the phenomenon it now is.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Enjoy!

- Carsten

P.S. If you are trying to find the 7.01 release on the master branch
in the repository, you will not.  The releases are now on a new branch,
called "maint", which will contain only commits that are also releases.
This will make it easier to make minor fixes to a release while
development
continues on the master branch.

P.P.S.  The feature freeze is over now.

                       Changes in Version 7.01
                       =======================

Incompatible Changes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emacs 21 support has been dropped
==================================

Do not use Org mode 7.xx with Emacs 21, use [version 6.36c] instead.

[version 6.36c]: http://orgmode.org/org-6.36c.zip

XEmacs support requires the XEmacs development version

To use Org mode 7.xx with XEmacs, you need to run the developer
version of XEmacs.   I was about to drop XEmacs support entirely,
but Michael Sperber stepped in and made changes to XEmacs that
made it easier to keep the support.  Thanks to Michael for this
last-minute save.  I had hoped to be able to remove
xemacs/noutline.el from release 7 by moving it into XEmacs, but
this is not yet done.

Org-babel configuration changes
================================

Babel took the integration into Org-mode as an opportunity to do
some much needed house cleaning.  Most importantly we have
simplified the enabling of language support, and cleared out
unnecessary configuration variables -- which is great unless you
already have a working configuration under the old model.

The most important changes regard the /location/ and /enabling/
of Babel (both core functionality and language specific support).

Babel: Babel is now part of the core of Org-mode, so it is
      now loaded along with the rest of Org-mode.  That means that
      there is /no configuration/ required to enable the main
      Babel functionality.  For current users, this means that
      statements like

   (require 'org-babel)
      or

   (require 'org-babel-init)
      that may by lying around in your configuration must now be
      removed.
load path: Babel (including all language specific files --
      aside from those which are located in the =contrib/=
      directory for reasons of licencing) now lives in the base of
      the Org-mode lisp directory, so /no additional directories/
      need to be added to your load path to use babel.  For Babel
      users this means that statements adding babel-specific
      directories to your load-path should now be removed from
      your config.
language support: It is no longer necessary to require
      language specific support on a language-by-language basis.
      Specific language support should now be managed through the
      `org-babel-load-languages' variable.  This variable can be
      customized using the Emacs customization interface, or
      through the addition of something like the following to your
      configuration (note: any language not mentioned will /not/
      be enabled, aside from =emacs-lisp= which is enabled by
      default)

   (org-babel-do-load-languages
    'org-babel-load-languages
    '((R . t)
      (ditaa . t)
      (dot . t)
      (emacs-lisp . t)
      (gnuplot . t)
      (haskell . nil)
      (ocaml . nil)
      (python . t)
      (ruby . t)
      (screen . nil)
      (sh . t)
      (sql . nil)
      (sqlite . t)))

            Despite this change it is still possible to add
            language support through the use of =require=
            statements, however to conform to Emacs file-name
            regulations all Babel language files have changed
            prefix from =org-babel-*= to =ob-*=, so the require
            lines must also change e.g.

   (require 'org-babel-R)
            should be changed to

   (require 'ob-R)

We have eliminated the =org-babel-tangle-w-comments= variable as
well as the two main internal lists of languages, namely
- =org-babel-interpreters= and
- =org-babel-tangle-langs=

so any config lines which mention those variables, can/should be
stripped out in their entirety.  This includes any calls to the
=org-babel-add-interpreter= function, whose sole purpose was to
add languages to the =org-babel-interpreters= variable.

With those calls stripped out, we may still in some cases want to
associate a file name extension with certain languages, for
example we want all of our emacs-lisp files to end in a =.el=, we
can do this will the =org-babel-tangle-lang-exts= variable.  In
general you shouldn't need to touch this as it already has
defaults for most common languages, and if a language is not
present in org-babel-tangle-langs, then babel will just use the
language name, so for example a file of =c= code will have a =.c=
extension by default, shell-scripts (identified with =sh=) will
have a =.sh= extension etc...

The configuration of /shebang/ lines now lives in header
arguments.  So the shebang for a single file can be set at the
code block level, e.g.

   #+begin_src clojure :shebang #!/usr/bin/env clj
     (println "with a shebang line, I can be run as a script!")
   #+end_src

Note that whenever a file is tangled which includes a /shebang/
line, Babel will make the file executable, so there is good
reason to only add /shebangs/ at the source-code block level.
However if you're sure that you want all of your code in some
language (say shell scripts) to tangle out with shebang lines,
then you can customize the default header arguments for that
language, e.g.

   ;; ensure this variable is defined defined
   (unless (boundp 'org-babel-default-header-args:sh)
     (setq org-babel-default-header-args:sh '()))

   ;; add a default shebang header argument
   (add-to-list 'org-babel-default-header-args:sh
                '(:shebang . "#!/bin/bash"))

The final important change included in this release is the
addition of new security measures into Babel.  These measures are
in place to protect users from the accidental or uninformed
execution of code.  Along these lines /every/ execution of a code
block will now require an explicit confirmation from the user.
These confirmations can be stifled through customization of the
`org-confirm-babel-evaluate' variable, e.g.

   ;; I don't want to be prompted on every code block evaluation
   (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)

In addition, it is now possible to remove code block evaluation
form the C-c C-c keybinding.  This can be done by setting the
org-babel-no-eval-on-ctrl-c-ctrl-c variable to a non-nil value,
e.g.

   ;; I don't want to execute code blocks with C-c C-c
   (setq org-babel-no-eval-on-ctrl-c-ctrl-c t)

An additional keybinding has been added for code block
evaluation, namely C-c C-v e.

Whew! that seems like a lot of effort for a /simplification/ of
configuration.

New keys for TODO sparse trees
===============================

The key =C-c C-v= is now reserved for Org Babel action.  TODO
sparse trees can still be made with =C-c / t= (all not-done
states) and =C-c / T= (specific states).

Customizable variable changes for DocBook exporter

To make it more flexible for users to provide DocBook exporter
related commands, we start to use format-spec to format the
commands in this release.  If you use DocBook exporter and use it
to export Org files to PDF and/or FO format, the settings of the
following two customizable variables need to be changed:

- =org-export-docbook-xslt-proc-command=
- =org-export-docbook-xsl-fo-proc-command=

Instead of using =%s= in the format control string for all
arguments, now we use /three/ different format spec characters:

- =%i=: input file argument
- =%o=: output file argument
- =%s=: XSLT stylesheet argument

For example, if you set =org-export-docbook-xslt-proc-command= to

java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet -o %s %s /path/to/docbook.xsl

in the past, now you need to change it to

java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet -o %o %i %s

and set a new customizable variable called
=org-export-docbook-xslt-stylesheet= to =/path/to/docbook.xsl=.

Please check the documentation of these two variables for more
details and other examples.

Along with the introduction of variable
=org-export-docbook-xslt-stylesheet=, we also added a new
in-buffer setting called =#+XSLT:=.  You can use this setting to
specify the XSLT stylesheet that you want to use on a per-file
basis.  This setting overrides
=org-export-docbook-xslt-stylesheet=.

Details
~~~~~~~~

Org Babel is now part of the Org core
======================================
See [Org-babel configuration changes] for instructions on how to
update your babel configuration.

The most significant result of this change is that Babel now has
documentation!  It is part of Org-mode's documentation, see
Chapter 14 [Working With Source Code].  The Babel keybindings
are now listed in the refcard, and can be viewed from any
Org-mode buffer by pressing =C-c C-v h=.  In addition this
integration has included a number of bug fixes, and a significant
amount of internal code cleanup.

[Org-babel configuration changes]: #ob-configuration-changes
[Working With Source Code]: http://orgmode.org/manual/Working-with-source-code.html#Working-with-source-code

The default capture system for Org mode is now called org-capture

This replaces the earlier system org-remember.  The manual only
describes org-capture, but for people who prefer to continue to
use org-remember, we keep a static copy of the former manual
section [chapter about remember].

The new system has a technically cleaner implementation and more
possibilities for capturing different types of data.  See
[Carsten's announcement] for more details.

To switch over to the new system:

1. Run

    M-x org-capture-import-remember-templates RET

    to get a translated version of your remember templates into the
    new variable =org-capture-templates=.  This will "mostly" work,
    but maybe not for all cases.  At least it will give you a good
    place to modify your templates.  After running this command,
    enter the customize buffer for this variable with

    M-x customize-variable RET org-capture-templates RET

    and convince yourself that everything is OK.  Then save the
    customization.

2. Bind the command =org-capture= to a key, similar to what you did
    with org-remember:

    (define-key global-map "\C-cc" 'org-capture)

    If your fingers prefer =C-c r=, you can also use this key once
    you have decided to move over completely to the new
    implementation.  During a test time, there is nothing wrong
    with using both system in parallel.

    [chapter about remember]: http://orgmode.org/org-remember.pdf
    [Carsten's announcement]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/26441/focus%3D26441

Implement pretty display of entities, sub-, and superscripts.

The command =C-c C-x \= toggles the display of Org's special
entities like =\alpha= as pretty unicode characters.  Also, sub
and superscripts are displayed in a pretty way (raised/lower
display, in a smaller font).  If you want to exclude sub- and
superscripts, see the variable
=org-pretty-entities-include-sub-superscripts=.

Thanks to Eric Schulte and Ulf Stegeman for making this possible.

Help system for finding entities
=================================

The new command =M-x org-entities-help= creates a structured
buffer that lists all entities available in Org.  Thanks to Ulf
Stegeman for adding the necessary structure to the internal
entity list.

New module to create Gantt charts
==================================

Christian Egli's /org-taskjuggler.el/ module is now part of Org.
He also wrote a [tutorial] for it.

[tutorial]: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler.php

Refile targets can now be cached
=================================

You can turn on caching of refile targets by setting the variable
=org-refile-use-cache=.  This should speed up refiling if you
have many eligible targets in many files.  If you need to update
the cache because Org misses a newly created entry or still
offers a deleted one, press =C-0 C-c C-w=.

Enhanced functionality of the clock resolver

Here are the new options for the clock resolver:

i/q/C-g  Ignore this question; the same as keeping all the idle time.

k/K      Keep X minutes of the idle time (default is all).  If this
          amount is less than the default, you will be clocked out
          that many minutes after the time that idling began, and then
          clocked back in at the present time.
g/G      Indicate that you \"got back\" X minutes ago.  This is quite
          different from 'k': it clocks you out from the beginning of
          the idle period and clock you back in X minutes ago.
s/S      Subtract the idle time from the current clock.  This is the
          same as keeping 0 minutes.
C        Cancel the open timer altogether.  It will be as though you
          never clocked in.
j/J      Jump to the current clock, to make manual adjustments.

For all these options, using uppercase makes your final state
to be CLOCKED OUT.  Thanks to John Wiegley for making these
changes.

A property value of "nil" now means to unset a property

This can be useful in particular with property inheritance, if
some upper level has the property, and some grandchild of it
would like to have the default settings (i.e. not overruled by a
property) back.

Thanks to Robert Goldman and Bernt Hansen for suggesting this
change.

The problem with comment syntax has finally been fixed

Thanks to Leo who has been on a year-long quest to get this fixed
and finally found the right way to do it.

Make it possible to protect hidden subtrees from being killed by =C-k=

This was a request by Scott Otterson.
See the new variable =org-ctrl-k-protect-subtree=.

New module org-mac-link-grabber.el
===================================

This module allows to grab links to all kinds of applications on
a mac.  It is available in the contrib directory.

Thanks to Anthony Lander for this contribution.

LaTeX export: Implement table* environment for wide tables

Thanks to Chris Gray for a patch to this effect.

When cloning entries, remove or renew ID property

Thanks to David Maus for this change.

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19  8:22 ` Christian Moe
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-07-19  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Congratulations and thanks for this amazing software.

Yours,
Christian Moe

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just released version 7.01 of Org mode.

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19  8:36 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten,

as always, thanks for an incredible job!

The announcement of this new release has motivated me to back up to
speed with org-babel and the changes that have been done to simplify
it.  I had previously written interfaces for jython, ledger and
maxima.  These have not worked since the simplification work on
org-babel started and I haven't had the time to do anything about it.
I would now like to get these working again and hopefully contribute
them to org.

However, there does not appear to be any documentation on writing
support for new languages.  Before I delve into existing codes (which
is what I did last time), I just want to confirm that this is indeed
the case?

Thanks again,
eric

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 10:38   ` Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2010-07-19 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19.07.2010, at 10:22, Christian Moe wrote:

> Congratulations and thanks for this amazing software.
>
> Yours,
> Christian Moe

+1

--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 12:47 ` Matt Lundin
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-07-19 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is a major release, and we have worked months on getting
> it together.  Most important is of cause the complete integration
> of Org Babel into  Org mode.  Many thanks to Eric Schulte and
> Dan Davison who have worked tirelessly to make this happen.
> Thomas S. Dye gets credit here as well because he did a lot of
> work on documentation and function/variable docstrings.

Thanks, Carsten, for another brilliant release! And a special thanks to
Eric Schulte for taking into account my concerns about security and
org-babel and for finding a very graceful solution.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-07-19 13:47 ` Ista Zahn
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ista Zahn @ 2010-07-19 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
Just a quick note that the documentation for org-babel does not appear
to be in place yet. That is, when I click on the "Source Code" link
from http://orgmode.org/manual/  I get a 404 Not Found error.

Looking forward to trying out the new version, thanks to everyone
involved! Org-mode has completely changed the way I use emacs. It is
simply amazing.

Best,
Ista

Ista Zahn
Graduate student
University of Rochester
http://yourpsyche.org

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-07-19 14:55 ` Manish
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Manish @ 2010-07-19 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Carsten Dominik
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have just released version 7.01 of Org mode.
>>
>> This is a major release, and we have worked months on getting
>> it together.

Sincere thanks and congratulations on the release to all contributors.

There is more happening in Org than I can try out and integrate in my
workflow at a sane pace.. the backlog has been growing for a while now.
One Carsten was difficult to keep pace with and now we have others too.
Sheesh. :)  Can't thank you all enough for your hard work.

Best regards
--
Manish

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 15:31   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2010-07-19 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/19/2010 10:55 AM, Manish wrote:
> There is more happening in Org than I can try out and integrate in my
> workflow at a sane pace.. the backlog has been growing for a while now.
> One Carsten was difficult to keep pace with and now we have others too.
> Sheesh. :)  Can't thank you all enough for your hard work.

I have to agree. Org-mode has many features that I don't use but would
like to use. Someday, I'll get completely organized with org-mode, but
I'll have to settle for partly organized for now. It took forever before
I upgraded to 6.36c, and now we have wonderful 7.01. Well, at least
there is a new toy to think about getting. Org-mode is the best mode.

Scott Randby

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 15:48   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-19 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 19, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Ista Zahn wrote:

> Hi all,
> Just a quick note that the documentation for org-babel does not appear
> to be in place yet. That is, when I click on the "Source Code" link
> from http://orgmode.org/manual/  I get a 404 Not Found error.

The documentation is in place, but there is a broken link.

The correct link is here:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Working-With-Source-Code.html#Working-With-Source-Code

I will soon upload a minor fix 7.01a which will also fix the link.

- Carsten

> [...]
>> k=
>> =
>> =
>>
>> This was a request by Scott Otterson.
>> See the new variable =org-ctrl-k-protect-subtree=.
>>

>> New module org-mac-link-grabber.el
>> ===================================
>>
>> This module allows to grab links to all kinds of applications on
>> a mac.  It is available in the contrib directory.
>>
>> Thanks to Anthony Lander for this contribution.
>>
>> LaTeX export: Implement table* environment for wide tables
>>
>> Thanks to Chris Gray for a patch to this effect.
>>
>> When cloning entries, remove or renew ID property
>>
>> Thanks to David Maus for this change.
>>
>> - Carsten

> Ista Zahn
> Graduate student
> University of Rochester
> Department of Clinical and Social Psychology

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 15:49     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-19 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 19, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Scott Randby wrote:

> On 07/19/2010 10:55 AM, Manish wrote:
>> There is more happening in Org than I can try out and integrate in my
>> workflow at a sane pace.. the backlog has been growing for a while
>> now.
>> One Carsten was difficult to keep pace with and now we have others
>> too.
>> Sheesh. :)  Can't thank you all enough for your hard work.
>
> I have to agree. Org-mode has many features that I don't use but would
> like to use. Someday, I'll get completely organized with org-mode, but
> I'll have to settle for partly organized for now.

That is OK, and Org is even meant to be used in this way.... :)

> It took forever before
> I upgraded to 6.36c, and now we have wonderful 7.01. Well, at least
> there is a new toy to think about getting. Org-mode is the best mode.
>
> Scott Randby

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-07-19 17:15 ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-07-19 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[snip]

> Thanks, thanks, thanks!
>
> Enjoy!
>
> - Carsten
>
> P.S. If you are trying to find the 7.01 release on the master branch
> in the repository, you will not.  The releases are now on a new branch,
> called "maint", which will contain only commits that are also releases.
> This will make it easier to make minor fixes to a release while
> development
> continues on the master branch.

This might be a bit OT, I apoligize, but how exactly do I get the new
release with git?  I'm new to git, and I've tried the following:

1. Change the branch to maint
2. git pull git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git maint

All I get is a list of Merge conflicts from the Auto-merging as shown
below.

I must be doing something wrong, it'd be great if one of the git wizards
could help me out :-)

Thanks and cheers, and tons of thanks to Carsten and all contributors!!
Markus

The merge conflicts I get:

From git://repo.or.cz/org-mode
 * branch            maint      -> FETCH_HEAD
Auto-merging ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
Auto-merging README_DIST
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in README_DIST
Auto-merging doc/org.texi
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in doc/org.texi
Auto-merging doc/orgcard.tex
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in doc/orgcard.tex
Auto-merging lisp/ob-C.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-C.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-R.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-R.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-asymptote.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-asymptote.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-clojure.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-clojure.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-comint.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-comint.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-css.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-css.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-ditaa.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-ditaa.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-dot.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-dot.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-emacs-lisp.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-emacs-lisp.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-eval.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-eval.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-exp.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-exp.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-gnuplot.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-gnuplot.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-haskell.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-haskell.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-keys.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-keys.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-latex.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-latex.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-lob.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-lob.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-matlab.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-matlab.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-mscgen.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-mscgen.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-ocaml.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-ocaml.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-octave.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-octave.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-perl.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-perl.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-python.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-python.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-ref.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-ref.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-ruby.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-ruby.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-sass.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-sass.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-screen.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-screen.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-sh.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-sh.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-sql.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-sql.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-sqlite.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-sqlite.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-table.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-table.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob-tangle.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob-tangle.el
Auto-merging lisp/ob.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/ob.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-agenda.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-agenda.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-archive.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-archive.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-ascii.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-ascii.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-attach.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-attach.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-bbdb.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-bbdb.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-beamer.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-beamer.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-bibtex.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-bibtex.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-capture.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-capture.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-clock.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-clock.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-colview-xemacs.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-colview-xemacs.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-colview.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-colview.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-compat.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-compat.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-crypt.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-crypt.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-ctags.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-ctags.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-datetree.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-datetree.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-docbook.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-docbook.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-docview.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-docview.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-entities.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-entities.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-exp-blocks.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-exp-blocks.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-exp.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-exp.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-faces.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-faces.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-feed.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-feed.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-footnote.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-footnote.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-freemind.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-freemind.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-gnus.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-gnus.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-habit.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-habit.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-html.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-html.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-icalendar.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-icalendar.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-id.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-id.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-indent.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-indent.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-info.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-info.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-inlinetask.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-inlinetask.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-irc.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-irc.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-jsinfo.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-jsinfo.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-latex.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-latex.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-list.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-list.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-mac-message.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-mac-message.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-macs.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-macs.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-mew.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-mew.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-mhe.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-mhe.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-mks.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-mks.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-mobile.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-mobile.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-mouse.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-mouse.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-plot.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-plot.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-protocol.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-protocol.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-publish.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-publish.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-remember.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-remember.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-rmail.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-rmail.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-src.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-src.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-table.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-table.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-taskjuggler.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-taskjuggler.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-timer.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-timer.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-vm.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-vm.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-w3m.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-w3m.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-wl.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-wl.el
Auto-merging lisp/org-xoxo.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org-xoxo.el
Auto-merging lisp/org.el
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lisp/org.el
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 17:38   ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2010-07-19 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Thanks, thanks, thanks!
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
>> P.S. If you are trying to find the 7.01 release on the master branch
>> in the repository, you will not.  The releases are now on a new branch,
>> called "maint", which will contain only commits that are also releases.
>> This will make it easier to make minor fixes to a release while
>> development
>> continues on the master branch.
>
> This might be a bit OT, I apoligize, but how exactly do I get the new
> release with git?  I'm new to git, and I've tried the following:
>
> 1. Change the branch to maint
> 2. git pull git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git maint

That command tries to merge maint with the branch you're currently on -
most likely main.

If you do not have manual changes in your working tree you can run

git reset --hard

to undo that merge.

I think what you want is:

git pull
git checkout -t origin/maint

Andreas

@ 2010-07-19 17:46     ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-07-19 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> Thanks, thanks, thanks!
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>>
>>> P.S. If you are trying to find the 7.01 release on the master branch
>>> in the repository, you will not.  The releases are now on a new branch,
>>> called "maint", which will contain only commits that are also releases.
>>> This will make it easier to make minor fixes to a release while
>>> development
>>> continues on the master branch.
>>
>> This might be a bit OT, I apoligize, but how exactly do I get the new
>> release with git?  I'm new to git, and I've tried the following:
>>
>> 1. Change the branch to maint
>> 2. git pull git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git maint
>>

> That command tries to merge maint with the branch you're currently on -
> most likely main.
>
> If you do not have manual changes in your working tree you can run
>
> git reset --hard
>
> to undo that merge.
>

> I think what you want is:
>
> git pull
> git checkout -t origin/maint

Andreas,

thanks for the reply, worked as advertised.

Cheers
Markus

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 17:52   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-19 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

Its great to hear that you're hoping to contribute new language support.
I've just written some instructions for adding new languages to Babel,
they should propagate to Worg [1] within the next hour or so.  The most
important part of these new instructions is an updated ob-template.el
which is available in the Worg repo [2].

Let me know if/how this new documentation should be improved, or if you
run into any issues along the way.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! -- Eric

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Carsten,
>
> as always, thanks for an incredible job!
>
> The announcement of this new release has motivated me to back up to
> speed with org-babel and the changes that have been done to simplify
> it.  I had previously written interfaces for jython, ledger and
> maxima.  These have not worked since the simplification work on
> org-babel started and I haven't had the time to do anything about it.
> I would now like to get these working again and hopefully contribute
> them to org.
>
> However, there does not appear to be any documentation on writing
> support for new languages.  Before I delve into existing codes (which
> is what I did last time), I just want to confirm that this is indeed
> the case?
>
> Thanks again,
> eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/language.php

[2]  http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git/blob/HEAD:/org-contrib/babel/ob-template.el

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 18:23       ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2010-07-19 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> This might be a bit OT, I apoligize, but how exactly do I get the new
>>> release with git?  I'm new to git, and I've tried the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Change the branch to maint
>>> 2. git pull git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git maint
>>>

>> That command tries to merge maint with the branch you're currently on -
>> most likely main.
>>
>> If you do not have manual changes in your working tree you can run
>>
>> git reset --hard
>>
>> to undo that merge.
>>

>> I think what you want is:
>>
>> git pull
>> git checkout -t origin/maint
>
> Andreas,
>
> thanks for the reply, worked as advertised.
>
> Cheers
> Markus

Great, but thinking about it again, it is not necessary to switch to the
maint branch unless you want to stick to releases and not follow the bleeding edge of
development.

Andreas

Andreas

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 18:33         ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-07-19 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13@gmx.net> writes:

>>> That command tries to merge maint with the branch you're currently on -
>>> most likely main.
>>>
>>> If you do not have manual changes in your working tree you can run
>>>
>>> git reset --hard
>>>
>>> to undo that merge.
>>>

>>> I think what you want is:
>>>
>>> git pull
>>> git checkout -t origin/maint
>>
>> Andreas,
>>
>> thanks for the reply, worked as advertised.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Markus
>
> Great, but thinking about it again, it is not necessary to switch to the
> maint branch unless you want to stick to releases and not follow the bleeding edge of
> development.

I assumed I had to switch to the maint branch in order to get the 7.01
release.  How could I have done this while staying on the master branch?

Thanks
Markus

* Re: Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 18:38           ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-07-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I assumed I had to switch to the maint branch in order to get the 7.01
> release.  How could I have done this while staying on the master branch?

Basically, as long as you're on master, you'll always have the latest
and greatest, which may or may not be what you want.

At certain times, including in the past few days, 'master' is deemed
release-worthy, and a stable release is produced.  However, development
goes on in the master branch.

The maint branch was created so that small bugs in the latest release
could be fixed and updated, without having to include whatever major
developments might have happened on master in the mean time.

* Re: Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 18:45             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-19 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Markus Heller, emacs-orgmode

On Jul 19, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Erik Iverson wrote:

>> I assumed I had to switch to the maint branch in order to get the
>> 7.01
>> release.  How could I have done this while staying on the master
>> branch?
>
> Basically, as long as you're on master, you'll always have the
> latest and greatest, which may or may not be what you want.
>
> At certain times, including in the past few days, 'master' is deemed
> release-worthy, and a stable release is produced.  However,
> development goes on in the master branch.
>
> The maint branch was created so that small bugs in the latest
> release could be fixed and updated, without having to include
> whatever major developments might have happened on master in the
> mean time.

The main reason for making releases at all are

- to produce a fall-back if the current master does not work
   for you because it is buggy.  This happen only rarely here
   and only for short times.
- To give alternative distributions like the Debian package
   a point of reference, a signal that this state of Org
   is reasonably well tested and stable.

Kind regards

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 18:45             ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-07-19 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

>> I assumed I had to switch to the maint branch in order to get the 7.01
>> release.  How could I have done this while staying on the master branch?
>
> Basically, as long as you're on master, you'll always have the latest
> and greatest, which may or may not be what you want.

I am confused now.  Carsten said is his announcement that master did NOT
contain the 7.01 release:

<quote>
P.S. If you are trying to find the 7.01 release on the master branch
in the repository, you will not.  The releases are now on a new branch,
called "maint", which will contain only commits that are also releases.
This will make it easier to make minor fixes to a release while
development
continues on the master branch.
</quote>

> At certain times, including in the past few days, 'master' is deemed
> release-worthy, and a stable release is produced.  However,
> development goes on in the master branch.
>
> The maint branch was created so that small bugs in the latest release
> could be fixed and updated, without having to include whatever major
> developments might have happened on master in the mean time.

Would this explanation be correct then:

Right now, 7.01 is in the maint branch, for a few days/weeks or so,
until the small nags have been resolved; the master branch is the last
6.36 release.  Once the little bugs/issues have been resolved, 7.01 will
be merged with the master branch, and everything will be back to (my)
normal?  Is this correct?

Thanks
Markus

* Re: Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-19 19:27               ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-07-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller wrote:
>Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

>>> I assumed I had to switch to the maint branch in order to get the 7.01
>>> release.  How could I have done this while staying on the master branch?
>>
>> Basically, as long as you're on master, you'll always have the latest
>> and greatest, which may or may not be what you want.

>I am confused now.  Carsten said is his announcement that master did NOT
>contain the 7.01 release:

Okay, maybe these pictures will clarify: Org mode is developed in a
branch called "master".  All new changes are done here so with A, B, C
etc. representing changes to Org mode's source code the development
looks like this:

,----
|          +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
| [master] | A |--->| B |--->| C |--->| D |--->| E |--->| F |--->| G |--->
|          +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
`----

Now let's say at the source code being at patch B the stable version
7.01 is released.  In this case we create a new branch called "maint"
that starts at patch B:

,----
|          +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
| [master] | A |--->| B |--->| C |--->| D |--->| E |--->| F |--->| G |---> ...
|          +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
|                     :
|                     :
|                   +---+
| [maint]           | B |
|                   +---+
`----

Currently "release is on maint" means that the branch [maint]
represents the state of Org mode's sources at the time when the
release 7.01 was made.

Example: Org 7.01 was released after commit (change)
a760c250a5585656567275c743cced6c4e652573.  The branch [maint]
currently contains the source code as it was right after this change.[1]
The branch [master] was at this point in time in the same state but
has already proceeded with fresh new patches.

So, 7.01 is indeed /not/ on master, because master is where all new
things go in and has already proceeded (patch C, D etc. in the
picture).  And [maint] will never be merged to [master], because all
changes will be done in [master].

It's the other way round: If a bug is fixed in [master] that is known
to be present in [maint], the fix will be first made in [master] and
than in [maint].  So if E is a fix for a bug that is present before B
(read: in [master] and [maint]), we apply the fix in [maint], too.

,----
| +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
| | A |--->| B |--->| C |--->| D |--->| E |--->| F |--->| G |---> ...
| +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
|            :                          :
|            :                          v
|          +---+                      +---+
|          | B |----------------------| E'|--->
|          +---+                      +---+
`----

If people use a stable version (e.g. Release 7.01) we can provide
fixes for bugs in this version.

More details on this topic especially for Git can be found in:

The Git Community Book
http://book.git-scm.com/

-or-

Loeliger, Jon: Version Control with Git.  O'Reilly 2009.
(my favorite)

HTH,
  -- David

--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-07-19 23:29 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-07-19 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just released version 7.01 of Org mode.
>
> This is a major release, and we have worked months on getting
> it together.  Most important is of cause the complete integration
> of Org Babel into  Org mode.  Many thanks to Eric Schulte and
> Dan Davison who have worked tirelessly to make this happen.
> Thomas S. Dye gets credit here as well because he did a lot of
> work on documentation and function/variable docstrings.

Wowwiieeeh!

Great work Carsten!  Thanks a lot everyone!

  Sebastian

* RE: Re: Org-mode release 7.01
@ 2010-07-20  7:49   ` Colin Fraizer
From: Colin Fraizer @ 2010-07-20  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Love the new capture!  Thank you, Carsten and other contributors for
continuing to making my working life better.

Best regards,
--Colin Fraizer
Indianapolis, IN, USA(, Earth)

@ 2010-07-20 11:37                 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-20 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Markus Heller, emacs-orgmode

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> Markus Heller wrote:

>>> Basically, as long as you're on master, you'll always have the latest
>>> and greatest, which may or may not be what you want.
>
>>I am confused now.  Carsten said is his announcement that master did NOT
>>contain the 7.01 release:

The only thing in maint that is not in master is the change of the
version number in the sources.  You won't find the commit that sets the
version number to 7.01 on the master branch but all of the other
interesting changes are there.

> Okay, maybe these pictures will clarify: Org mode is developed in a
> branch called "master".  All new changes are done here so with A, B, C
> etc. representing changes to Org mode's source code the development
> looks like this:
>
> ,----
> |          +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
> | [master] | A |--->| B |--->| C |--->| D |--->| E |--->| F |--->| G |--->
> |          +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
> `----
>
> Now let's say at the source code being at patch B the stable version
> 7.01 is released.  In this case we create a new branch called "maint"
> that starts at patch B:
>
> ,----
> |          +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
> | [master] | A |--->| B |--->| C |--->| D |--->| E |--->| F |--->| G |---> ...
> |          +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
> |                     :
> |                     :
> |                   +---+
> | [maint]           | B |
> |                   +---+
> `----
>
> Currently "release is on maint" means that the branch [maint]
> represents the state of Org mode's sources at the time when the
> release 7.01 was made.
>
> Example: Org 7.01 was released after commit (change)
> a760c250a5585656567275c743cced6c4e652573.  The branch [maint]
> currently contains the source code as it was right after this change.[1]
> The branch [master] was at this point in time in the same state but
> has already proceeded with fresh new patches.
>
> So, 7.01 is indeed /not/ on master, because master is where all new
> things go in and has already proceeded (patch C, D etc. in the
> picture).  And [maint] will never be merged to [master], because all
> changes will be done in [master].
>
> It's the other way round: If a bug is fixed in [master] that is known
> to be present in [maint], the fix will be first made in [master] and
> than in [maint].  So if E is a fix for a bug that is present before B
> (read: in [master] and [maint]), we apply the fix in [maint], too.

It's actually easier to apply a fix that is intended to go in both
master and maint on a topic branch for the bugfix that is rooted at a
commit common to both maint and master (your [B] on the master branch, A
in the description below) and then merge that commit into both master
and maint since you only have to create the commit once.

 o -- o -- A -- o -- o -- o -- C  master
            \
             B                    maint

Create the fix (F) at A

 o -- o -- A -- o -- o -- o -- C  master
           |\
           | B                    maint

           F                      bugfix

and merge the fix into maint

 o -- o -- A -- o -- o -- o -- C  master
           |\
           | B -- M               maint
           |     /
           F----/                 bugfix

and into master

 o -- o -- A -- o -- o -- o -- C -- D  master
           |\                      /
           | B -- M               /    maint
           |     /               /
           F----/               /      bugfix
            \                  /
             \----------------/

-Bernt

* Re: Org-mode release 7.01
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-07-20 13:40 ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2010-07-20 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:43 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just released version 7.01 of Org mode.

Splendid! The upgrade from org-remember to org-capture was painless too.
I took out org-remember-insinuate as well as the other remember and
org-remember bits, and it works without a hitch.

Thank you to Carsten and all the volunteers!

Peter.