* emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
@ 2014-05-15 11:59 Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2014-05-15 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I never wanted to learn Emacs.

But hearing about Org-mode got me interested, so far I like what I see.
The next step is exporting from Org-mode.

There was a post by Vikas Rawal, "Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Sciences" which looked like a simple step by step manual.

I failed at the first step: Installing starter-kit.

Asking Google for help I got:

The starter kit is designed to be used with GNU Emacs. Version 24 or later is required, and the current released version (24.3) is recommended. It will not work with Aquamacs without modification.

Here are the modifications I did:

* The init.el file

GNUEmacs uses .emacs.d/init.el as the init file.
Everything works fine with GNUEmacs.

Aquamacs uses ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el and ~/.emacs.

With this information it was easy: just link ~/.emacs.d/init.el to ~/.emacs.

Now starter-kit loads

* There is no place like $HOME (or rather starter-kit-dir)

Starter-kit remembers the directory of the init.el file:

    (setq starter-kit-dir
          ,(file-name-directory (or load-file-name (buffer-file-name))))

Sadly this is now ~ and not ~/emacs.d.
I solved this with brute force, replacing the command with

   (setq starter-kit-dir "/Users/axel/.emacs.d/")

Now it seems to work.

There is probably a more elegant way to add a /.emacs.d to the path when the editor is Aquamacs, but I have to learn some elisp for that.

Or a way to tell Aquamacs to use a different init file.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Axel

* Re: emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
@ 2014-05-15 13:01 ` Rick Frankel
From: Rick Frankel @ 2014-05-15 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-05-15 07:59, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
> I never wanted to learn Emacs.
> There is probably a more elegant way to add a /.emacs.d to the path
> when the editor is Aquamacs, but I have to learn some elisp for that.
>
> Or a way to tell Aquamacs to use a different init file.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

Probably not the answer you want, but as a long-time mac and emacs
user, my suggestion would be to use the vanilla os x version of emacs.

IMHO, there is no longer any compelling reason to use aquamacs. It was
started at a time when the core gnu emacs did not support os x, this
is no longer the case.

The "nextstep" build of emacs runs as a native app, supports
anti-aliased fonts, etc. Personally, i find that the keyboard
rebinding in aquamacs just make it it harder to use/learn emacs, as
all the documentation, etc, is based on the standard, cross-platform
bindings. Once you learn them, you will be able to use emacs on any
platform -- mac, windows, unix. Also, your configuration will be
portable across all the same platforms.

rick

* Re: emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
@ 2014-05-15 14:28   ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2014-05-15 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.05.2014 um 15:01 schrieb Rick Frankel <rick@rickster.com>:

> Probably not the answer you want, but as a long-time mac and emacs
> user, my suggestion would be to use the vanilla os x version of emacs.
>
> The "nextstep" build of emacs runs as a native app,

You are suggesting to a Mac user to build his own Emacs?
Do you know what that takes?
About 10 minutes :-)

I just realized that it is even possible to download it prebuilt.

I should have asked earlier, but everyone was suggesting Aquamacs.

Since I'm starting from scratch I don't mind switching and it will be easier to share my configuration with the Unix machine I sometimes telnet to.

Thanks for the suggestion.

@ 2014-05-15 14:31     ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2014-05-15 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Probably not the answer you want, but as a long-time mac and emacs
>> user, my suggestion would be to use the vanilla os x version of emacs.
>>
>> The "nextstep" build of emacs runs as a native app,
>
> You are suggesting to a Mac user to build his own Emacs?
> Do you know what that takes?
> About 10 minutes :-)
>
> I just realized that it is even possible to download it prebuilt.

I recommend a homebrew-based install of emacs.

I like the version available from railwaycat/emacsmacport tap (https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port).

Vikas

* Re: emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
@ 2014-05-15 17:19       ` Rick Frankel
From: Rick Frankel @ 2014-05-15 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-15 10:31, Vikas Rawal wrote:
> Probably not the answer you want, but as a long-time mac and emacs
> user, my suggestion would be to use the vanilla os x version of emacs.
>
> The "nextstep" build of emacs runs as a native app,
>
> You are suggesting to a Mac user to build his own Emacs?
> Do you know what that takes?
> About 10 minutes :-)
>
> I just realized that it is even possible to download it prebuilt.
>
> I recommend a homebrew-based install of emacs.
>
> I like the version available from railwaycat/emacsmacport tap
> (https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port [1]).

Not familiar w/ emacsports, will take a look at it this weekend. My
problem w/ the homebrew install (and i'm a homebrew fan) is that
i prefer the "all-in-one" (--with-ns) package and not having the app
spread around /usr/local in unix fashion the way the homebrew install
works.

Personally, i used homebrew to install the build dependencies
(autoconf, automake, imagemagick, etc) and the git mirror of the emacs
trunk (http://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git) YMMV.

rick

* Re: emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
@ 2014-05-15 17:43     ` Peter Neilson
From: Peter Neilson @ 2014-05-15 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 15 May 2014 10:28:13 -0400, Axel Kielhorn
<org-mode@axelkielhorn.de> wrote:

> I should have asked earlier, but everyone was suggesting Aquamacs.
>
> Since I'm starting from scratch I don't mind switching and it will be
> easier to share my configuration with the Unix machine I sometimes
> telnet to.

Yes.

Because emacs predates all the modern "consumer" keyboard interfaces by a
decade or more, and because vanilla emacs is available for just about
every platform except possibly Babbage's original Analytical Engine, it
really makes sense to avoid grandly "localised" versions of emacs. In my
view Aquamacs is the cure for which there is no disease.

"To gild refined gold; to paint the lily." --Shakespeare', King John.

* Re: emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
@ 2014-05-15 18:51         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-05-15 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Frankel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha all,

Macports has an emacs-app that bundles all the files in
/Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/

We use this at work and find it convenient.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
@ 2014-05-15 19:41           ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2014-05-15 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

This thread is rather off-topic for this list. Isn’t it?

But since we have a hugely tolerant community, it is perhaps okay.

I have a homebrew install, with a symbolic link to /Applications/Emacs.app. Works just fine.

Vikas

@ 2014-05-16  1:58             ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-05-16  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)