From: Axel Kielhorn <org-mode@axelkielhorn.de>
Subject: emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 13:59:35 +0200	[thread overview]

I never wanted to learn Emacs.

But hearing about Org-mode got me interested, so far I like what I see.
The next step is exporting from Org-mode.

There was a post by Vikas Rawal, "Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Sciences" which looked like a simple step by step manual.

I failed at the first step: Installing starter-kit.

Asking Google for help I got:

The starter kit is designed to be used with GNU Emacs. Version 24 or later is required, and the current released version (24.3) is recommended. It will not work with Aquamacs without modification.

Here are the modifications I did:

* The init.el file

GNUEmacs uses .emacs.d/init.el as the init file.
Everything works fine with GNUEmacs.

Aquamacs uses ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el and ~/.emacs.

With this information it was easy: just link ~/.emacs.d/init.el to ~/.emacs.

Now starter-kit loads

* There is no place like $HOME (or rather starter-kit-dir)

Starter-kit remembers the directory of the init.el file:

    (setq starter-kit-dir
          ,(file-name-directory (or load-file-name (buffer-file-name))))

Sadly this is now ~ and not ~/emacs.d.
I solved this with brute force, replacing the command with

   (setq starter-kit-dir "/Users/axel/.emacs.d/")

Now it seems to work.

There is probably a more elegant way to add a /.emacs.d to the path when the editor is Aquamacs, but I have to learn some elisp for that.

Or a way to tell Aquamacs to use a different init file.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Axel