* Tags management strategies
@ 2016-05-15  2:48 Martin Leduc
From: Martin Leduc @ 2016-05-15  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi !

Tags are a very useful feature to filter information in org-mode. After
few years of developing a system to organize my life with org-mode, I
realize that tags can become rather difficult to deal with as we tend to
define a lot of tags spread out over several org files.

One general issue is to track all the tags that you have defined in all
your org files. Rather than requesting an org-mode feature that would
make a dynamical list of all the defined tags, I personally prefer the
approach of making a static list of all preferred tags in one place and
to try to keep this list as small as I can. I can achieve this by
defining a global list of tags through the variable "org-tag-alist",
which allows to access all the tags from any of my org files, and also
because it allows to make "grouptags" which are very convenient to
organize tags by themes.

The latter approach seems however limited to the use of a rather small
number of tags since in the fast-tag-selection interface, tags entries
beyond the 33th are marked with extended ASCCI characters such as ^?,
\200, \201,... So my first question is how can I access these tags, and
if it is possible, what is the physical limit in terms of the number of
tags I can define and access ?

My second question is a bit more general, but I would like to know what
peoples are currently doing to manage, track and make an efficient use
of their numerous tags.

Many thanks,

Martin