* markup text with leading, trailing spaces
@ 2015-02-13 21:29 hymie!
From: hymie! @ 2015-02-13 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

My next SNAFU involves mark-up text.

I'd like to be able to have a series of commands in my raw org file that I
can copy-n-paste into my shell window.  But I also like to export my org
files to HTML so that I can make ePubs and keep them in my iPad.

So while I strongly prefer the exported version of
- ~command1~
- ~command2~
- ~command3~
it's hard to copy-n-paste with the tildes in the way.

Unfortunately, this
- ~ command1 ~
- ~ command2 ~
- ~ command3 ~
does not mark up the text in my exported-to-html version.

And this
#+BEGIN_SRC
  command1
  command2
  command3
#+END_SRC
is just IMO ugly.

Is there something I can do, where I can get output similar to
- ~command1~
- ~command2~
- ~command3~
without the tildes blocking my text?

--hymie!

* Re: markup text with leading, trailing spaces
@ 2015-02-13 22:31 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-02-13 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hymie! writes:

> I'd like to be able to have a series of commands in my raw org
> file that I can copy-n-paste into my shell window.  But I also
> like to export my org files to HTML so that I can make ePubs and
> keep them in my iPad.

> And this
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC
>   command1
>   command2
>   command3
> #+END_SRC
>
> is just IMO ugly.

It shouldn't be. Try adding the word "shell" after BEGIN_SRC, so
that it fontifies the code correctly (the variable
org-src-fontify-natively should be set to t, but that has been
default for a while). Also, add shell to the loaded babel
languages, so that you can execute the code and get the results
right away in org:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (org-babel-do-load-languages
  'org-babel-load-languages
       '((shell . t)))
#+END_SRC

No need for "copy-n-paste", just do C-c C-c where you have your
commands.

Another added benefit is that it is way easier to add the shell
scripts inside a SRC block after you press C-c ' (C-c ' again to
Shell-script mode available, for example:

C-c (	 to define a function
C-c TAB	 for an if statement
C-c C-l	 for an indexed loop

Try copying this example into an org file, it should fontify it
nicely, both in the org file and in the html exported.

#+BEGIN_SRC shell
  echo "hello"
  cd
  ls
  n=1
  while [ $n -le 10 ]; do
      echo $n
      n=$(( n + 1 ))
  done
  echo "bye"
#+END_SRC

Best,

--
Jorge.

* Re: markup text with leading, trailing spaces
@ 2015-02-14  4:08   ` hymie!
From: hymie! @ 2015-02-14  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo), who said:
>hymie! writes:
>
>> I'd like to be able to have a series of commands in my raw org
>> file that I can copy-n-paste into my shell window.  But I also
>> like to export my org files to HTML so that I can make ePubs and
>> keep them in my iPad.
>
>> And this
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC
>>   command1
>>   command2
>>   command3
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> is just IMO ugly.
>
>It shouldn't be. Try adding the word "shell" after BEGIN_SRC, so
>that it fontifies the code correctly (the variable
>org-src-fontify-natively should be set to t, but that has been
>default for a while)

It's not that the font is ugly.  It's that
* (in the epub) the source code appears in a box
* (in the html/epub) it's impossible to tell the difference between two
different commands and a single command that was too long and word wrapped
to fit in the box
* (in the html/epub) I can't have non-monospace comments between/attached
to/within the code without drawing four or five separate boxes around my code
* (in the org file) For whatever reason, monospace code appears as a
light-gray font, which is hard to read against a white background.  I'm
sure that can be changed, but I haven't had time to figure it out yet.

>Also, add shell to the loaded babel
>languages, so that you can execute the code and get the results
>right away in org:
>
>No need for "copy-n-paste", just do C-c C-c where you have your
>commands.

I think you are making the incorrect assumption that the machine on
which I maintain my Org files is the same machine that I wish to execute
commands on.

>Try copying this example into an org file, it should fontify it
>nicely, both in the org file and in the html exported.

If my commnds were all 8 characters long or less, it would be fine.
Some of my commands look like this:

adduser username -d /data/chroot/home/username -s /usr/bin/rssh -m -k /dev/null -g rssh

useradd -U -G wheel -p '$6$wcMRrkcdGeNHLT5c$0s4qezb00ISmGZSsILOyV/WJn3RnuZPkSEknwoSZ22HvbgkBTe4TQwCz/mpG.3zby.1Jwnmtsq1B.uCbyg5l./' username

pssh -x '-q -t -t' -I -i --hosts hosts_linux_rhel6 'sudo -S wget puppet/puppet/pub/system_patch.pl -O /usr/local/bin/system_patch.pl' < hostnamefile

While I admit that the "useradd" command is an extreme example,
this becomes horribly ambiguous:

adduser username -d /data/chroot/home/username -s
/usr/bin/rssh -m -k /dev/null -g rssh
pssh -x '-q -t -t' -I -i --hosts hosts_linux_rhel6
'sudo -S wget puppet/puppet/pub/system_patch.pl -O
/usr/local/bin/system_patch.pl' < hostnamefile

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie@lactose.homelinux.net

* Re: markup text with leading, trailing spaces
@ 2015-02-14 17:19 darcamo
From: darcamo @ 2015-02-14 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hymie!, emacs-orgmode

Even if you want to run commands in a different computer you can do that
with "C-c C-c" thanks to the ":dir folder" header argument and tramp.

As an example, suppose I have the code block below

#+begin_src sh
  hostname
#+end_src

If I run it I get something like

#+RESULTS:
: my_computer_name

However, if if I can ssh to a server called "myserver" I can change the
code block to

#+begin_src sh :dir /myserver:~/
  hostname
#+end_src

Now if I run the code block the code is executed in myserver and I get

#+RESULTS:
: myserver_host_name

Combine this with "C-c C-v b" (org-babel-execute-buffer) and you can easily
run many different commands in different machines. It is really great.

@ 2015-02-14 17:41 ` hymie
From: hymie @ 2015-02-14 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"darcamo@gmail.com" writes:
>However, if if I can ssh to a server called "myserver" I can change the
>code block to
>
>#+begin_src sh :dir /myserver:~/
>  hostname
>#+end_src
>
>Now if I run the code block the code is executed in myserver and I get
>
>#+RESULTS:
>: myserver_host_name

That is a very neat feature.  However

>if I can ssh to a server called "myserver"

I cannot.

@ 2015-02-14 19:03     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-02-14 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hymie! writes:

> I think you are making the incorrect assumption that the machine
> on which I maintain my Org files is the same machine that I wish
> to execute commands on.

Yes, or that you can ssh to it.

> If my commnds were all 8 characters long or less, it would be
> fine.  Some of my commands look like this:
>
> While I admit that the "useradd" command is an extreme example,
> this becomes horribly ambiguous:
>
> adduser username -d /data/chroot/home/username -s  /usr/bin/rssh
> -m -k /dev/null -g rssh pssh -x '-q -t -t' -I -i --hosts
> hosts_linux_rhel6 'sudo -S wget
> puppet/puppet/pub/system_patch.pl -O
> /usr/local/bin/system_patch.pl' < hostnamefile

You could add a \ at the end of each line that does not end the
command.

Best,

--
Jorge.

* Re: markup text with leading, trailing spaces
@ 2015-02-15  0:29       ` hymie!
From: hymie! @ 2015-02-15  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo <jorge.alfaro-murillo <at> yale.edu> writes:

> hymie! writes:
>
> > I think you are making the incorrect assumption that the machine
> > on which I maintain my Org files is the same machine that I wish
> > to execute commands on.
>
> Yes, or that you can ssh to it.

Unfortunately, it is still an incorrect assumption.

> > adduser username -d /data/chroot/home/username -s  /usr/bin/rssh
> > -m -k /dev/null -g rssh pssh -x '-q -t -t' -I -i --hosts
> > hosts_linux_rhel6 'sudo -S wget
> > puppet/puppet/pub/system_patch.pl -O
> > /usr/local/bin/system_patch.pl' < hostnamefile
>
> You could add a \ at the end of each line that does not end the
> command.

The only problem there is that I need to know in advance what my line length
limit is.  That's why I'm really hoping for something that I can use
standard automatic word-wrapping instead of "verbatim mode".

@ 2015-02-15  1:28 ` hymie!
From: hymie! @ 2015-02-15  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hymie! <hymie <at> lactose.homelinux.net> writes:

> So while I strongly prefer the exported version of
> - ~command1~
> - ~command2~
> - ~command3~
> it's hard to copy-n-paste with the tildes in the way.

org-hide-emphasis-markers is the answer.  Setting this to true, the tildes
disappear.

@ 2015-02-23 14:55   ` hymie!
From: hymie! @ 2015-02-23 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this isn't actually working.

hymie! <hymie <at> lactose.homelinux.net> writes:

> hymie! <hymie <at> lactose.homelinux.net> writes:
>
> > So while I strongly prefer the exported version of
> > - ~command1~
> > - ~command2~
> > - ~command3~
> > it's hard to copy-n-paste with the tildes in the way.
>
> org-hide-emphasis-markers is the answer.  Setting this to true, the tildes
> disappear.

The tildes disappear from the visual screen, but when I copy-n-paste, the
tildes are still copied. :(

Still looking for a solution that I like.

--EbH

* Re: markup text with leading, trailing spaces
@ 2015-02-23 15:04     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-02-23 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hymie! <hymie@lactose.homelinux.net> writes:

> Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this isn't actually working.
>
> hymie! <hymie <at> lactose.homelinux.net> writes:
>

>> hymie! <hymie <at> lactose.homelinux.net> writes:
>>
>> > So while I strongly prefer the exported version of
>> > - ~command1~
>> > - ~command2~
>> > - ~command3~
>> > it's hard to copy-n-paste with the tildes in the way.
>>
>> org-hide-emphasis-markers is the answer.  Setting this to true, the tildes
>> disappear.
>
> The tildes disappear from the visual screen, but when I copy-n-paste, the
> tildes are still copied. :(
>
> Still looking for a solution that I like.

Customize org-ascii-verbatim-format and use ox-ascii export.

--
And when I’m finished thinking, I have to die a lot

* Re: markup text with leading, trailing spaces
@ 2015-02-23 17:31       ` hymie!
From: hymie! @ 2015-02-23 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>, who said:

>Customize org-ascii-verbatim-format and use ox-ascii export.

OMG.  That's the answer.  I can select the section, use C-c C-e t A
to export the selection into a buffer, and there's no formatting marks,
and I can copy and paste each line, and it's perfect.

Thank you!

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie@lactose.homelinux.net