* org-capture, datetree, and tags
@ 2013-02-19 12:25 Jeffrey Brent McBeth
From: Jeffrey Brent McBeth @ 2013-02-19 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to capture into a datetree using org-capture, but if my tree has a tag on it (in particular noexport), then it creates a new datetree instead of using the one I have.
Example .emacs:
(global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)
(setq org-capture-templates
	'(("t" "Test" plain (file+datetree "~/Test.org")
		"%^{Greeting} World
I'm going to work this time")))

Example Test.org:

* 2013								   :noexport:
** 2013-02 February
*** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
Hello World
I'm going to work this time

So, based on the above, if I type C-cct Silly C-cc, I'll get this:

* 2013								   :noexport:
** 2013-02 February
*** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
Hello World
I'm going to work this time
* 2013
** 2013-02 February
*** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
Silly World
I'm going to work this time

Thanks for your attention,
 Jeffrey McBeth
--
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."

* Re: org-capture, datetree, and tags
@ 2013-02-20 11:40 ` Tim Burt
From: Tim Burt @ 2013-02-20 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Brent McBeth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jeffrey Brent McBeth <mcbeth@broggs.org> writes:

> I'm trying to capture into a datetree using org-capture, but if my tree has a tag on it (in particular noexport), then it creates a new datetree instead of using the one I have.
> Example .emacs:
> (global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)
> (setq org-capture-templates
> 	'(("t" "Test" plain (file+datetree "~/Test.org")
> 		"%^{Greeting} World
> I'm going to work this time")))
>
> Example Test.org:
>
> * 2013								   :noexport:
> ** 2013-02 February
> *** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
> Hello World
> I'm going to work this time
>
> So, based on the above, if I type C-cct Silly C-cc, I'll get this:
>
> * 2013								   :noexport:
> ** 2013-02 February
> *** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
> Hello World
> I'm going to work this time
> * 2013
> ** 2013-02 February
> *** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
> Silly World
> I'm going to work this time
>
> Thanks for your attention,
>  Jeffrey McBeth

I can confirm both the behavior and a usecase for a tagged datetree.

In org-datetree.el the function org-datetree-find-year-create searches for
the year on a headline and will not match content with anything beyond the
fourth digit.
: (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
:   (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)$")
: 	match)

In this particular case the tag in question is :noexport: with white space
fore (and maybe aft), and the following change to the regular expression
was tested with success.
: (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
:   (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)[ \t]+:noexport:[ \t]*$")
: 	match)
Of course this only matches the specific tag in this example *and* only
matches a datetree with this tag. The regular expression needs to be
improved to include a valid tag set as optional.

--
Tim Burt
www.rketburt.org

* Re: org-capture, datetree, and tags
@ 2013-02-20 11:43 ` Jeffrey Brent McBeth
From: Jeffrey Brent McBeth @ 2013-02-20 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 07:25:29AM -0500, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:
> I'm trying to capture into a datetree using org-capture, but if my tree has a tag on it (in particular noexport), then it creates a new datetree instead of using the one I have.

I have verified that this still occurs under latest (7.9.3e-920-gce79e pulled 5:50am EST) with emacs 24.1.1 (Ubuntu packaged).  Are my expectations wrong that it should be inserting into the original tree, and there is perhaps another way to tag a heirarchy to not be exported that I should be using?  If this is a bug, is there additional information I need to supply to assist in the debugging?  Am I asking in the right place?

Thanks for your attention,
 Jeffrey McBeth

@ 2013-02-21 11:42   ` Tim Burt
From: Tim Burt @ 2013-02-21 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Brent McBeth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tim Burt <tcburt@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> Jeffrey Brent McBeth <mcbeth@broggs.org> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to capture into a datetree using org-capture, but if my tree has a tag on it (in particular noexport), then it creates a new datetree instead of using the one I have.
>> Example .emacs:
>> (global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)
>> (setq org-capture-templates
>> 	'(("t" "Test" plain (file+datetree "~/Test.org")
>> 		"%^{Greeting} World
>> I'm going to work this time")))
>>
>> Example Test.org:
>>
>> * 2013								   :noexport:
>> ** 2013-02 February
>> *** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
>> Hello World
>> I'm going to work this time
>>
>> So, based on the above, if I type C-cct Silly C-cc, I'll get this:
>>
>> * 2013								   :noexport:
>> ** 2013-02 February
>> *** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
>> Hello World
>> I'm going to work this time
>> * 2013
>> ** 2013-02 February
>> *** 2013-02-19 Tuesday
>> Silly World
>> I'm going to work this time
>>
>> Thanks for your attention,
>>  Jeffrey McBeth
>
> I can confirm both the behavior and a usecase for a tagged datetree.
>
> In org-datetree.el the function org-datetree-find-year-create searches for
> the year on a headline and will not match content with anything beyond the
> fourth digit.
> : (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
> :   (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)$")
> : 	match)
>
> In this particular case the tag in question is :noexport: with white space
> fore (and maybe aft), and the following change to the regular expression
> was tested with success.
> : (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
> :   (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)[ \t]+:noexport:[ \t]*$")
> : 	match)
> Of course this only matches the specific tag in this example *and* only
> matches a datetree with this tag. The regular expression needs to be
> improved to include a valid tag set as optional.

Improved the regular expression to permit multiple tags of letters,
numbers, underscores, and at signs.
:  (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
:    (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)[ \t]*\\(:[[:alnum:]_@]*\\)*:*[ \t]*$")
:          match)
I've tested with the following headlines:
 - 2013
   - both with and without trailing spaces
 - 2013 :abc:
 - 2013 :abc123:
 - 2013 :abc123:_underscore:@attaboy::
 - 2013 :noexport:

Any comments on the regular expression are welcome before I make patch.

--

@ 2013-02-22 13:56     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-22 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Burt; +Cc: Jeffrey Brent McBeth, emacs-orgmode

Hi Tim,

Tim Burt <tcburt@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> :  (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
> :    (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)[ \t]*\\(:[[:alnum:]_@]*\\)*:*[ \t]*$")
> :          match)
> I've tested with the following headlines:
>  - 2013
>    - both with and without trailing spaces
>  - 2013 :abc:
>  - 2013 :abc123:
>  - 2013 :abc123:_underscore:@attaboy::
>  - 2013 :noexport:
>
> Any comments on the regular expression are welcome before I make
> patch.

Thanks for working on fixing this.

The more or less standard regexp for tags-till-end-of-line is this:

   :[[:alnum:]_@#%:]*[ \t]*$
                    ^

With * if you want to match headlines with no tag.

Please have a look at this page before submitting a patch:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-5

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-capture, datetree, and tags
@ 2013-02-23 12:18       ` Tim Burt
From: Tim Burt @ 2013-02-23 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Jeffrey Brent McBeth, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Burt <tcburt@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>
>> :  (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
>> :    (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)[ \t]*\\(:[[:alnum:]_@]*\\)*:*[ \t]*$")
>> :          match)
>> I've tested with the following headlines:
>>  - 2013
>>    - both with and without trailing spaces
>>  - 2013 :abc:
>>  - 2013 :abc123:
>>  - 2013 :abc123:_underscore:@attaboy::
>>  - 2013 :noexport:
>>
>> Any comments on the regular expression are welcome before I make
>> patch.
>
> Thanks for working on fixing this.
>
> The more or less standard regexp for tags-till-end-of-line is this:
>
>    :[[:alnum:]_@#%:]*[ \t]*$
>                     ^
>
> With * if you want to match headlines with no tag.

I may have misapplied what you suggested, but the new regexp (see below)
does not work on a year headline without tags.
:  (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
:    (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)[ \t]*\\(:[[:alnum:]_@#%:]*[ \t]*$\\)")
:          match)
However, the suggestion helped me find the following in org-todo-line-tags-regexp
     \\(.*?\\([ \t]:[[:alnum:]:_@#%]+:[ \t]*\\)?$\\)
Applying this regexp worked on a tag-free headline (both with and
without trailing spaces)
:  (defun org-datetree-find-year-create (year)
:    (let ((re "^\\*+[ \t]+\\([12][0-9][0-9][0-9]\\)\\(.*?\\([ \t]:[[:alnum:]:_@#%]+:[ \t]*\\)?$\\)")
:          match)

> Please have a look at this page before submitting a patch:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-5

Will do.

--

@ 2013-02-24 21:05         ` Tim Burt
From: Tim Burt @ 2013-02-24 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Jeffrey Brent McBeth, emacs-orgmode

I have just submitted a patch.  It is marked with TINYCHANGE so that it
can be processed before the assignment paperwork (which I just began
today) is complete.

Good day,
Tim