* Failure to display more than 18 images with captions
@ 2016-10-01  7:19 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-10-01  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have problem with Org Mode, that it fails to display more than 18
images correctly, while exporting to PDF (LaTeX export).

I am using images in following manner:

#+CAPTION: Title of image
#+NAME: fig:pic001
[[/some/image001.jpg]]

#+CAPTION: Title of image
#+NAME: fig:pic002
[[/some/image002.jpg]]

#+CAPTION: Title of image
#+NAME: fig:pic003
[[/some/image003.jpg]]

.... and so on until 40-50 images ...

#+CAPTION: Title of image
#+NAME: fig:pic060
[[/some/image060.jpg]]

If I only put links without CAPTION and NAME, the export is working
well, but images are not nicely formatted. If I am using CAPTION without
NAME, I get the same problem, so only 18 images are displayed.

I have tried to display random images, to verify is it about the link or
what would be the cause, but always 18 images are displayed.

Few images are displayed on the side of the PDF, cut, not visible,
covering the right side border of the PDF file.

I would really need help to get it working, as I use Org Mode for
reporting.

Thank you,
J. Louis

* Re: Failure to display more than 18 images with captions
@ 2016-10-01 10:39 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-10-01 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com> writes:

> I have problem with Org Mode, that it fails to display more than 18
> images correctly, while exporting to PDF (LaTeX export).

Would it be a problem related to LaTeX? I.e, what is the error when you
try to compile the produced tex file?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Failure to display more than 18 images with captions
@ 2016-10-01 10:44   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-10-01 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Majority of LaTeX errors are like following:

LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in
/home/data1/protected/public_html/images/syogm/tanzania/2016/09/2016-09-20/800/IMG_20160920_090633975.jpg
(no BoundingBox).

and then also:

l.235 \begin{figure}[htb]

?
! Undefined control sequence.
\@xfloat ...@fltovf \fi \global \setbox \@currbox
                                                  \color@vbox \normalcolor \...
l.235 \begin{figure}[htb]

?
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   \vbox
l.235 \begin{figure}[htb]

and also

Undefined control sequence.
\@largefloatcheck ->\ifdim \ht \@currbox
                                         >\textheight \@tempdima -\textheigh...
l.240 \end{figure}

?
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>

l.240 \end{figure}

?
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \@currbox

l.240 \end{figure}

@ 2016-10-01 14:26 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-10-01 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

this looks like an issue related to floats. It works with out the
caption because they are not floats in that case. But, with floats,
there are limits.

see
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/46512/too-many-unprocessed-floats.

According to that page:

LaTeX can, by default, only cope with 18 outstanding floats; any more,
and you get the error “too many unsuppressed floats”. This package
releases the limit; TeX itself imposes limits (which are interdependent
of the help offered by e-TeX). However, if your floats can’t be placed
anywhere, extending the number of floats merely delays the arrival of
the inevitable error message.

You may be able to add \clearpage every few figures or use a package
that makes this work.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Failure to display more than 18 images with captions
@ 2016-10-01 14:56   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-10-01 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jean Louis

Thank you. It is possible to increase the number of floats in LaTeX, but
I could not succeed.

I found out that problem is also in compilation of the table of
contents, so when I turned toc off, I could see pictures.

Further, I am now using non-floats with:

#+ATTR_LATEX: :float nil

and I can get now the file to work fully as I am expecting, including
pictures are on the place where I wanted them to be.

It is solved for me, not solved in general as a problem in Org mode.

Jean

@ 2016-10-01 17:53     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-10-01 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, John Kitchin

Hello,

Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com> writes:

> It is solved for me, not solved in general as a problem in Org mode.

I do not understand: which part is a problem on the Org side?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Failure to display more than 18 images with captions
@ 2016-10-01 18:04       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-10-01 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis, John Kitchin, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

It looks to me like no part. It is a Latex issue.

--
John

-----------------------------------

@ 2016-10-01 18:13       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-10-01 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, emacs-orgmode

IMHO, the program Org Mode shall not give error when exporting PDF, or
it should be documented that certain number of pictures are not
tolerated and how to increase that number or how to avoid the problem.

Maybe something like explained here:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/46512/too-many-unprocessed-floats

like "morefloats" package:
ctan.org/pkg/morefloats

or \extrafloats{100}

But I did not get that working, I have simply turned off floats.

Jean

@ 2016-10-02  4:25         ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2016-10-02  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: emacs-org, John Kitchin

I think Jean Louis is right: it _is_ an org issue.   The problem is that
the default value of org-latex-default-figure-position is "htb", which is a
very bad idea.  The string always needs to contain a "p" in it somewhere,
otherwise latex will never be able to find a solution for figure placement
in cases with many floats and little or no text.

Fuller explanation: The position specifiers "h" (here), "t" (top), and "b"
(bottom) are all for placing floats on a page that has some "normal" text
on.  For all 3 cases, there is a minimum fraction of the page that must be
occupied by text (controlled by the parameter \textfraction, which by
default is 0.2).  To get pages that are entirely occupied by floats, you
need to use the specifier "p" (page).  So, by just using "htb" you are
giving latex a set of requirements that are impossible to satisfy if there
are many floats and no text.  Hence the problem with "Too many unprocessed
floats".  I would recommend that the default be "htbp" instead.

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Instituto de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: Failure to display more than 18 images with captions
@ 2016-10-02  7:55           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-10-02  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-org, Jean Louis, John Kitchin

Hello,

William Henney <whenney@gmail.com> writes:

> I think Jean Louis is right: it _is_ an org issue.   The problem is that
> the default value of org-latex-default-figure-position is "htb", which is a
> very bad idea.  The string always needs to contain a "p" in it somewhere,
> otherwise latex will never be able to find a solution for figure placement
> in cases with many floats and little or no text.
>
> Fuller explanation: The position specifiers "h" (here), "t" (top), and "b"
> (bottom) are all for placing floats on a page that has some "normal" text
> on.  For all 3 cases, there is a minimum fraction of the page that must be
> occupied by text (controlled by the parameter \textfraction, which by
> default is 0.2).  To get pages that are entirely occupied by floats, you
> need to use the specifier "p" (page).  So, by just using "htb" you are
> giving latex a set of requirements that are impossible to satisfy if there
> are many floats and no text.  Hence the problem with "Too many unprocessed
> floats".  I would recommend that the default be "htbp" instead.

Fair enough. I changed the default value for the variable.

Thank you for the explanation.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Failure to display more than 18 images with captions
@ 2016-10-03  0:38           ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-10-03  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-org, Jean Louis

This looks like a user configurable option, e.g.

(setq org-latex-default-figure-position "htbp")